Forum Thread: Office 2000 shows as "Insecure"

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Microsoft
And, this specific program:
Microsoft Office 2000

This thread has been marked as locked.
geneb Office 2000 shows as "Insecure"
Member 19th Feb, 2009 21:04
Ranking: 0
User Since: 10th Nov, 2008
System Score: N/A
Ok....I've reinstalled Office 2000 from the original disk mulitple times and continue to get this msg after I click on the download solution button and go through the various prompts: 'The expected version of the product was not found on your system.'

Then reruning Secunia still shows the various programs of Office 2000 as being insecure.

Any help is appreciated...

Underlien RE: Office 2000 shows as "Insecure"
Member 20th Feb, 2009 09:05
Score: 0
User Since: 4th Dec 2008
Hi

Try to go to Microsoft update (not the regular Windows update)

Make a scan for your Office pack.

Maybe that works :)

Underlien
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Bob_Primak RE: Office 2000 shows as "Insecure"
Member 28th Feb, 2009 09:00
User Since: 28th Feb 2009
Last edited on 28th Feb, 2009 09:01
Office 2000 is past its End-of Life Date. Secunia OSI or PSI will flag it as insecure.

-- Bob --

--
-- Bob --
Was this reply relevant?
+0
fezopolis RE: Office 2000 shows as "Insecure"
Member 25th Jun, 2009 00:06
User Since: 24th Jun 2009
I disagree. I'm not having that problem. Initially, all components of Office 2000 Pro were scanning as Insecure. Using suggestions in other threads here, I went to MS Office Updates and dl the latest Service Pak for Office 2000.

Re-booted and then ran all the PSI-recommended patches. Office 2000 Pro is now secure. Hope it works for you.

--
XP with SP3
Secunia PSI
Malwarebytes
Was this reply relevant?
+0
edengsec RE: Office 2000 shows as "Insecure"
Member 2nd Aug, 2009 22:12
User Since: 19th Jul 2009
I have the same problem as geneb states. All attempts to download any updates from Microsoft Update for Office 2000 fail. The message states "The expected version of this product was not found on your system". The versions of Word and Excel (under Help/About) are 9.0.2720.

Trying SP3 says I need SP2. trying SP2 says I need SR1 and/or SR1a, trying SR1 fails and refers me to "Office 2000 SR1 setup(0001).txt". Don't know where this is, not on my computer.

fezopolis states "...suggestions in other threads here..." enabled him/her to update sucessflly - what "other threads" are referred to?

I'd like to satisfy Secunia's concern about the security of all of the Office applications. Your advice welcomed. Thank you.

edengsec

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Office 2000 shows as "Insecure"
Handling Contributor 2nd Aug, 2009 23:45
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
edengsec RE: Office 2000 shows as "Insecure"
Member 3rd Aug, 2009 22:19
User Since: 19th Jul 2009
Thanks for your comments.
Apparently I don't have any SP's (MS calls the first ones SR1 and SR1a) on my disc since when I tried to download and install SP2 it said I need SR1 to do so.
I'll try to download and SAVE the upgrades and then try to install them direcly from there.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
pjwalkerpj RE: Office 2000 shows as "Insecure"
Member 4th Oct, 2009 04:54
Score: -4
User Since: 30th Sep 2009
Last edited on 4th Oct, 2009 04:55
I also suffered the same problem when I tried to reinstal Office 2000.
The problem is caused by Microsoft withdrawing support for this product. Although much of the update info is still available from the MS site a fundamental file "o2ksr1adl.exe" is missing. This file instals the essential SP1/1a service pack. Without this you will get nowhere in installing much needed updates.
Once you have found it and made sure that it is the version with dl before the full stop, you can then instal it followed by SP3. There is no need to instal SP2. Following the release of SP3 there are a number of security updates that are needed (about six I think) and with a bit of effort you can still find these on the MS site. However you will have to download and install them by hand as the auto update for Office 2000 is no longer available as far as I can find.
This leaves us with where do we get the missing file. Unfortunately I did not record the URL that I used, but I found it initially by Googling using the missing file name.
I hope this helps

Pete
Was this reply relevant?
+0
renman RE: Office 2000 shows as "Insecure"
Member 6th Oct, 2009 04:03
Score: 1
User Since: 6th Oct 2009
Last edited on 6th Oct, 2009 04:25
Download from
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?fa...

Don't run the file: Unzip it.
(I use 7 zip.)

Unzip WINWORD.msp

Unzip PCW_CAB_H12000_1

Copy winword.exe

Paste winword.exe in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\
(or wherever your copy of winword.exe is.)

Problem solved.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
renman RE: Office 2000 shows as "Insecure"
Member 6th Oct, 2009 19:25
Score: 1
User Since: 6th Oct 2009
I essentially came across this fix a while ago via Google.

When PSI reported the problem, I downloaded the patch and extracted Winword.exe. However, that did NOT solve the problem, so I forgot about it.

Then I downloaded the CSI beta (mistakenly thinking it was a beta PSI) and ran it. It found the same problem, and it took me directly to the exact patch I needed.

I kept unzipping until I found winword. (Why do they have to put zipped files inside of zipped files inside of zipped files?)

Anyway, this time the problem is fixed.

It's not clear if I would have been able to solve this problem with PSI, since it takes you to the update site where you are left to fend for yourself and find out which patch is the one you need. At least the Online Software Inspector gives you the relevant KB numbers. Therefore I often have to use both OSI and PSI in combination to get the job done.

I hope that the CSI beta feature that takes you directly to the patch in question gets incorporated into PSI, or that at least it's updated to give you the KB number.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Slamgeden RE: Office 2000 shows as "Insecure"
Member 7th Oct, 2009 08:26
User Since: 17th Jul 2009
on 6th Oct, 2009 19:25, renman wrote:

I kept unzipping until I found winword. (Why do they have to put zipped files inside of zipped files inside of zipped files?)

Because they're Microsoft.
(unknown source)

I hope that the CSI beta feature that takes you directly to the patch in question gets incorporated into PSI, or that at least it's updated to give you the KB number.

That's actually not a bad feature request. Maybe you should email support@secunia.com with that suggestion?

--
Assorted Fnords.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.