Forum Thread: False alarm for Adobe Reader 10.1.4.38 under MS Vista SP2

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Open Discussions

This thread has been marked as resolved.
puget1 False alarm for Adobe Reader 10.1.4.38 under MS Vista SP2
Member 29th Jan, 2013 19:03
Ranking:
User Since: 21st Dec, 2007
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 30th Jan, 2013 00:45

O.K. finally got the adobe link for 10 version. Adobe reader 11 works fine. My question is then : How do you differiniate the difference between an application update and a security update from Secunia. Utilizing Filehippo has been used on the forum for years and in "my case" has always kept Secunia happy.. Usually language packs have been considered as app update as opposed to security patches.. In the case of Java that was a downloaded patch directly from Secunia. I don't trust either PSI or Filehippo and always go to Java Icon in Add/remove now.

For what it is worth I have adobe 11 on xp sp3 Adobe is happy per their test page ,windows is happy along with Secunia Life is beautiful

--
Windows 10 64bit

There is No magic bullet in computing; only work a rounds.

Post "RE: False alarm for Adobe Reader 10.1.4.38 under MS Vista SP2 " has been selected as an answer.
This user no longer exists RE: False alarm for Adobe Reader 10.1.4.38 under MS Vista SP2
Secunia Official 30th Jan, 2013 13:18
Last edited on 30th Jan, 2013 13:20 I think a part of the question is addressed in our FAQ.
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

It is also useful to understand how programs are divided into minor versions within a major branch. This means that Adobe Reader 9.x is one program, Adobe Reader X 10.x is another program, Adobe Reader XI 11.x a third program etc. Users are generally free to choose the program that best serves their needs as long as it is supported by the developer. Each of these major branches are maintained separately by the developer, so if a vulnerability is affecting all these separate programs, then the developer will release a patch for each of them. Or alternatively the developer can provide the solution of upgrading to a newer branch/program, thereby declaring the unpatched program end-of-life. Our version rules will then reflect the solution set forth by the developer so that our scanners will keep our users informed. We do not force our users to upgrade to a newer major version of a program if the currently installed program is still supported and a patch is available. After all, a specific program may be kept on the computer intentionally, and newer does not always equal better.

With that said, it is also worth noting how software companies generally prefer to have their users running their very latest program, even if previous major branches are still supported. This may explain why we occasionally see how it is easier to find the download link for the very latest version of a program than for old but still supported versions.

I hope this information is useful. Please let me know if any of it is unclear and I will try to explain as best I can.
puget1 RE: False alarm for Adobe Reader 10.1.4.38 under MS Vista SP2
Member 30th Jan, 2013 16:42
Score:
User Since: 21st Dec 2007
System Score: N/A
Thank-you so much for the speedy reply and yes that does clear things up

--
Windows 10 64bit

There is No magic bullet in computing; only work a rounds.

Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.