Forum Thread: PSI 3 Tool Tray says I need a manual update - program disagrees

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as resolved.
conngodfrey PSI 3 Tool Tray says I need a manual update - program disagrees
Member 4th Feb, 2013 22:47
Ranking: 0
User Since: 4th Feb, 2013
System Score: N/A
Just did a factory restore on a HP laptop with Windows 7. At some point, PSI decided that I have a program needing a Manual Update - or at least the Tool Tray applet thinks so. Opening the program says I'm 100% Up-to-date. Not sure where to go now. Already uninstalled and reinstalled PSI twice, once after removing Java, which I thought might be the culprit.

History is empty at this point - after I saw the possible hit on Java, I cleared when I did the PSI R&R.

I could go back to PSI 2, but PSI 3 wasn't an issue before the factory restore (there were other issues that simply made it easier to restore.

Any ideas?

Post "RE: PSI 3 Tool Tray says I need a manual update - program disagrees" has been selected as an answer.
Maurice Joyce RE: PSI 3 Tool Tray says I need a manual update - program disagrees
Handling Contributor 4th Feb, 2013 23:44
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
If PSI finds something it gives you the path to the vulnerabilty.

Open PSI>once open select Show Programs.
U will now see a page full of programme icons or a list.
Right click on the programme in error>select Show Details - that will open a box showing the path & version number of the offending file.
U now have 2 options:
1. Write down the exact file path & install version - return to the Forum & type that information.
2. Take a screen shot & publish that.

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
conngodfrey RE: PSI 3 Tool Tray says I need a manual update - program disagrees
Member 7th Feb, 2013 01:56
Score: 0
User Since: 4th Feb 2013
Every program shows "100% Up-to-date". There are 3 that are listed as "Programs that do not receive updates", but they are still showing as up to date.

Not sure how to attach a screenshot in here...

Thanks!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: PSI 3 Tool Tray says I need a manual update - program disagrees
Handling Contributor 7th Feb, 2013 08:48
POSTING A SCREEN SHOT TO THE FORUM

To post a screen shot to the Forum U need to:

1. Capture the image by using a programme such as:
a. Microsoft Paint - details here if unsure how it is done.
http://www.wikihow.com/Take-a-Screenshot-in-Micros...
b. Microsoft One Note
c. Microsoft Snippet (Windows 7 & Vista)
d. Any third party equivalent programme like these:
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/free-screen-capture-...

2. Save the image to an online repository such as Microsoft Skydrive or here: http://www.picamatic.com/

3. Post the hyperlink to the stored online image to the Forum. Use CTRL+C to copy & CTRL+V to post to the Forum.

Last Reviewed 16:46 24/01/2013

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
conngodfrey RE: PSI 3 Tool Tray says I need a manual update - program disagrees
Member 7th Feb, 2013 16:02
Score: 0
User Since: 4th Feb 2013
OK, so I boot the laptop (with the relatively fresh factory restore), and it Blue Screens! Great.

Since it's the first BSoD, I reboot, and it comes up fine. I try to load PSI, and it's stuck at Loading. Wait 10 minutes, reboot and try it again. Nothing! Just sitting at "Loading"

I uninstall, reboot, reinstall PSI (a third time) and now after doing the initial scan, all is fine! It's finally showing green in the Tool Tray and everything is still 100% Up-to-date"!

I'm so annoyed at this behavior.

I'm calling this closed for now.

Thanks!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 7th Feb, 2013 16:23
Pleased to see you are all fixed up.

On that basis, I will lock this thread for U sometime tomorrow unless U post back asking for it to be left open.

This will protect your mail box from possible update emails from "tag on" posts

You can of course lock threads U have created. Just click the ACCEPT button in the post of the helper who offered U the best solution/advice to solve your problem.

Secunia Support can always reopen threads by applying by email to: support@secunia.com

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Doctor9fan RE: PSI 3 Tool Tray says I need a manual update - program disagrees
Member 9th Feb, 2013 23:11
Score: 19
User Since: 10th Jul 2011
I had this when I upgraded my Vista to Windows 8 it turned out that it was picking up an old version of Norton which was in the folder which contained drivers & pre-installed software, I was using a much more current version of Norton & this & all other programs showed as upto date but PSI was still saying there were manual updates available, the old Norton was listed under the programs which don't receive updates so I removed the unused Norton installer folder & that fixed the problem. You problem sounds the same.

--
Virginia/Doctor9fan.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.