Forum Thread: McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.x

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
McAfee
And, this specific program:
McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
hajob McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.x
Member 6th Mar, 2013 01:17
Ranking: 0
User Since: 6th Mar, 2013
System Score: N/A
You flag 8.8.0.777 as old version and 8.8.0.1128 as current version, but that is not completey right.

The .1128 subversion exists ONLY on Windows 8. The "Patch 3" is only for Windows 8.

On Windows XP / 7 the current McAfee Version subversion still is .777.

Please fix this.

hajob RE: McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.x
Member 6th Mar, 2013 01:17
Score: 0
User Since: 6th Mar 2013
I refer to this document of McAfee (as well as on my own testing):

https://community.mcafee.com/thread/51889
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.x
Secunia Official 7th Mar, 2013 15:13
Thank you for reporting this issue.
After some investigation it turns out that the file version information in the latest, patched version of McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.x, remains the same as the unpatched version for users with older versions of Windows than Windows 8. McAfee has not updated the file version information in their product, so it still claims to be the old and insecure version even after it has been updated. As this (incorrect) file version information is used by the PSI to identify the installed version of the program, the PSI has no way to detect it when McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.x is updated to the patched version.

We have decided to delete our current version rule for McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.x so that users will no longer be asked to update when they have already done so. To make sure you are running the patched and secure version of McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.x please use the update mechanisms offered by McAfee (such as looking for a build-in update mechanism or applying the patch manually).

To avoid such incidents in the future it might be worth contacting McAfee and ask them to make sure their file version information gets updated when they release patches and new versions.
hajob RE: McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.x
Member 7th Mar, 2013 15:33
Score: 0
User Since: 6th Mar 2013
Thanks.

Where did that .975 subversion come from then?

On my system Secunia reports I have .975 for example (though the scan32.exe says .777).
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.