Forum Thread: Re earlier (now locked) thread "Stuck on updating Firefox, Adobe ...

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Oracle Corporation
And, this specific program:
Oracle Java JRE 1.7.x / 7.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
KenE555 Re earlier (now locked) thread "Stuck on updating Firefox, Adobe Flashplayer, Adobe AIR"
Member 8th Mar, 2013 13:41
Ranking: 0
User Since: 29th Jan, 2013
System Score: N/A
Didn't have the time over a week ago to follow Maurice's last advice on this problem.
Have just run another PSI scan and all of the remaining reported problems have been resolved (updated) without any intervention on my part, but I have a new one - Oracle Java jRE1.7x/7.2. The icon for the offending program is shown 'greyed out' with the word "Updating" below it.
This is for information - I'm not asking for advice on what to do because, with the experience of the two previous instances of this, I'm going to sit back and ignore it, then like as not it will in a few days get updated without any intervention on my part. Does this greyed out "Updating" mean "I'm doing something about it, please be patient"?
Something I learned from a very wise boss of mine many years ago - it's often better not to do anything, the problem will sort itself out and instead of wasting time on it you can get on with something more productive.

This user no longer exists RE: Re earlier (now locked) thread "Stuck on updating Firefox, Adobe Flashplayer, Adobe AIR"
Secunia Official 11th Mar, 2013 14:02
If the auto-update is stuck I suggest you update manually. Then rescan with the PSI to make sure the update has completed successfully.
KenE555 RE: Re earlier (now locked) thread "Stuck on updating Firefox, Adobe Flashplayer, Adobe AIR"
Member 11th Mar, 2013 14:37
Score: 0
User Since: 29th Jan 2013
Thanks for your thoughts.
Yes, installed the latest version Java (7.0.170.2) yesterday, then closed down. This morning Secunia PSI scan reports the same situation - pointing to C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\java.exe version 7.0.150.3. A search of C:\ with Windows Explorer reveals no evidence whatever of this version.
I'm losing faith in PSI, I've had a number of these sticky false positives in the last two months that waste large amounts of my time in trying to track them down.
I have Piriform CC Cleaner installed which I don't often use, but maybe I should be running its registry cleaner feature more often.
Ken E
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Re earlier (now locked) thread "Stuck on updating Firefox, Adobe Flashplayer, Adobe AIR"
Secunia Official 11th Mar, 2013 14:40
Have you tried to close the PSI interface and then open it again? Or switch back and forth between advanced and standard view (done in Settings)? Does that fix it?
KenE555 RE: Re earlier (now locked) thread "Stuck on updating Firefox, Adobe Flashplayer, Adobe AIR"
Member 11th Mar, 2013 17:22
Score: 0
User Since: 29th Jan 2013
Opening and closing the interface has made no difference throughout all of these instances.
The only options visible in Settings for my version, 3.0.0.2004, are -
Start on boot
Install updates automatically
Scan individual drives
Are all these problems I'm having because I upgraded to version 3 some time ago? I don't remember ever having any difficulties with version 2.x
Ken E

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Re earlier (now locked) thread "Stuck on updating Firefox, Adobe Flashplayer, Adobe AIR"
Handling Contributor 11th Mar, 2013 22:15
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
You could try the latest PSI version. Details are below my Signature Block

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?