Forum Thread: misidentified easeus todo backup

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
EASEUS
And, this specific program:
EASEUS Partition Master 5.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
floridamatt misidentified easeus todo backup
Member 26th Mar, 2013 00:09
Ranking: 0
User Since: 20th Mar, 2013
System Score: N/A
I'm running easeus todo backup workstation 5.6 and will shortly be updating to 5.8.

psi reports that I am running easeus todo backup 3.x and that it is up to date.

Maurice Joyce RE: misidentified easeus todo backup
Handling Contributor 26th Mar, 2013 00:31
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Could be that there are remnants of an older version installed somewhere.

What path is PSI showing to the file?

FINDING A FILE PATH USING PSI

VERSION 2

From the DASHBOARD page click on SCAN RESULTS.

1. This will list all your programmes with a + to the left of each programme.
2. Click the + sign next to the item that U want help with.
3. This will reveal the path under DETECTED INSTANCES.
4. Below DETECTED INSTANCES you will see this You can double click this row for additional information & options>double click it>a box will appear>look to the RIGHT & U will see TROUBLESHOOT REPORT in BLUE writing under the heading TOOLBOX> click TroubleShoot Report & it will reveal some information in a box>highlight the information revealed from ---START--- to ---END--- & copy it (CTRL+C) then post it to the Forum (CTRL+V)

VERSION 3
This version does not have such an easy method to publish the path.

Open PSI>once open select Show Programs.
U will now see a page full of programme icons or a list.
Right click on the programme in error>select Show Details - that will open a box showing the path & version number of the offending file.
U now have 2 options:
1. Write down the exact file path & install version - return to the Forum & type that information.
2. Take a screen shot & publish that.

Last Reviewed 23:30 25/03/2013

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
floridamatt RE: misidentified easeus todo backup
Member 26th Mar, 2013 13:31
Score: 0
User Since: 20th Mar 2013
[Lovely, version 3 takes away diagnostic capabilities, and the forum does not support pasting a screen shot into a post...]

C:\Program Files (x86)\EaseUS\Todo Backup\bin\BackupMain.exe 3.0.0.1

Fwiw, my first install of ToDo Backup was 5.5, about 3-4 months ago. The current installed version reports

EaseUS ToDo Backup 5.6.0.0
(build 20130204)
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 26th Mar, 2013 14:20
Just delete the remnant file PSI has found:

DELETING A FILE OR FOLDER

VERSION 2

1. Open PSI>Scan results.

2. Against the programme marked as vulnerable is a + sign to the left of it.

3. Click that & it will reveal DETECTED INSTANCES.

4. Below that are two yellow folders. Click the one WITHOUT a red dot.

5. That will open Windows Explorer & U will be able to see the vulnerable file.
C:\Program Files (x86)\EaseUS\Todo Backup\bin\BackupMain.exe 3.0.0.1

6. Right click on that file & select delete.

7. Carry out a full PSI scan & all should be in order.

VERSION 3

Open PSI>once open select Show Programs.

U will now see a page full of programme icons or a list.

Right click on the icon that represents the programme in error>select Show Details - that will open a box showing the path & version number of the offending file.

Double click on C:\Program Files (x86)\EaseUS\Todo Backup\bin\BackupMain.exe 3.0.0.1

That will open Windows Explorer & U will see that file. Right click on it & select delete.

Run a full PSI scan & the problem should be resolved.

Last Reviewed 16:37 13/03/2013

You can also paste a screen shot in the future if the need arises:

POSTING A SCREEN SHOT TO THE FORUM

To post a screen shot to the Forum U need to:

1. Capture the image by using a programme such as:
a. Microsoft Paint - details here if unsure how it is done.
http://www.wikihow.com/Take-a-Screenshot-in-Micros...
b. Microsoft One Note
c. Microsoft Snippet (Windows 8, 7 & Vista)
d. Any third party equivalent programme like these:
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/free-screen-capture-...

2. Save the image to an online repository such as Microsoft Skydrive or here: http://www.picamatic.com/

3. Post the hyperlink to the stored online image to the Forum. Use CTRL+C to copy & CTRL+V to post to the Forum.

Last Reviewed 22:03 26/02/2013

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 26th Mar, 2013 14:35
This so-called "remnant file" has a modified date of 1/25/2013; the same date as most of the other .exe files in the directory. Since my first-ever installation was version 5.x, what basis do you have for claiming that this is a remnant and that removal will not adversely affect me?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 26th Mar, 2013 14:54
Just for amusement, I renamed BackupMain.exe to BackupMain.xex and did a new scan. PSI no longer reports EaseUS Todo Backup at all.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 26th Mar, 2013 17:05
Agreed - just another way of making it safe but leaves a small dross file in lieu of delete.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 27th Mar, 2013 00:04
NOT THE POINT.

If Backupmain.exe is no longer found, PSI won't report the version of Easus ToDo Backup. AT ALL.

PSI is failing to look at other files in the same directory, which have a version of 5.6.0.0.

And you did not explain why this file is unimportant when Easus installed it with version 5.5 and UPDATED it when version 5.6 was installed.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 27th Mar, 2013 02:06
Last edited on 27th Mar, 2013 08:24
Look at your silly header. Are we talking about EaseUS Partition Manager or EaseUS ToDo Backup?

Secunia have not mis identified anything. Once you understand how to use PSI & act on the information given by them the better. It would also be advantageous if you read the FAQ & learn how to correctly present items to the Forum rather than claim there is no way to do this or that.

Why is (part or all) version 3 on your PC if you claim you have version 5? Has version 3 been backed up by version 5? Why is version 5 apparently embedded in the version 3 folder? Why does this programme require two version exe files to work?

That is not a problem for this Forum. I have told you how to remove remnants of version 3. (Renaming it does the same thing in that it hides the file true identity)

Whether you act on that advise is up to you. I am not giving my free time to answer your silly questions.

Ask the programme vendor why you need two versions installed & how the programme works.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 27th Mar, 2013 12:58
Oh, please Maurice. Statements like "Look at your silly header. Are we talking about EaseUS Partition Manager or EaseUS ToDo Backup?" are hardly appropriate in this forum, especially from someone purporting to be a professional.

Here are facts:

Easeus Todo Backup, like many products, consists of multiple .exe, .dll, etc files.

While some software vendors apply the official release version number to all the codefiles in a given release, other vendors do not. Both Easeus and Secunia are both in the latter category.

The current Secunia PSI, for example, has its .exe files versioned 3.0.0.6005, while the Secunia PSI Driver, psi_mf_amd64.sys, is versioned at 1.0.10.5

Similarly, Easeus Todo Backup versions the primary files at the release level. tbconsoleui.exe, errorreport.exe, shellstart.exe, traytip.exe, isoexport.exe, tapemanager.exe, etc, etc are all versioned 5.6.0.0. If PSI examined the version information for any of these files, it would correctly determine that version 5.6 is installed.

Like PSI, Easeus Todo backup installation includes files whose version information is not the same as the release. The installation includes a file named backupmain.exe whose version is 3.0.0.0. [Incidentally, the fact that this is installed with a 5.x version can easily be verified by installing the free version of Todo Backup] While it may seem intuitive to use this file to determine the release level, examination of the entire situation makes it obvious that this is an incorrect assumption.

Here is opinion:

Secunia PSI's basis for examining EaseUS Todo Backup needs to be corrected to examine a different file -- one which is given a release-based version.

It would appear that Secunia also needs to examine how it determines the currently available release level of ToDo Backup.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 27th Mar, 2013 13:55
It is very appropriate for someone who 'nit picks' at any solution without giving the full (correct)facts in the first instance.

Your other thread is similar in nature. A solution was given & a comment made by another helper only for a challenge & to date no reply on what you have done about it.

Secunia Support have been active on this thread today but have not commented like on your other thread. - perhaps better you contact them again.

I will unsubscribe.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+1

This thread has been marked as locked.