Forum Thread: Java not detected in custom install directories

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Oracle Corporation
And, this specific program:
Oracle Java JRE 1.7.x / 7.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
colebantam Java not detected in custom install directories
Member 26th Mar, 2013 13:26
Ranking: 23
User Since: 23rd Apr, 2010
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 26th Mar, 2013 13:30

Java is detected, when installed to the default install locations, but not when installed to different install paths (other drives). The drive Java is installed to is checked in the config, and other apps on the same drive are recognized.

PS: I'm using PSI 2.0.0.4003. PSI3 was unusable the last time I tested it (comments reported).

This user no longer exists RE: Java not detected in custom install directories
Secunia Official 26th Mar, 2013 14:21
Good observation. Due to the many programs that bundles Java with their own installer we have had to do some tweaks to our detection rule in order to avoid misdetections. This means that we are currently detecting Oracle Java JRE 1.7.x / 7.x only in its default installation path where it is usually located.
colebantam RE: Java not detected in custom install directories
Member 28th Mar, 2013 00:48
Score: 23
User Since: 23rd Apr 2010
System Score: N/A
Well, I can understand your point of view. Nevertheless, hiding Java-Installations in custom directories makes the users believe in safety where it isn't. An outdated Java installation is a threat, whatever path it's installed to.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.