Forum Thread: WinZIP E-Mail Companion 2.x flagged as End-of-Life

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
WinZip
And, this specific program:
WinZip E-Mail Companion 2.x

This thread has been marked as resolved.
Thoran WinZIP E-Mail Companion 2.x flagged as End-of-Life
Member 30th Apr, 2013 12:38
Ranking: 0
User Since: 27th Jan, 2011
System Score: N/A
Hi!

The WinZIP E-Mail Companion 2.x (that is the DLL WZEAY32.dll) is flagged as End-of-Life by PSI (2.0).

I'm using the latest Version of WinZIP 17.0 Pro (Build 10381) on a Windows 7 64bit operating System.

What strikes me odd is that only on my laptop the program is being flagged es End-of-Life. On my destkop Computer PSI is fine with exactly the same DLL. Both desktop and laptop have the same operating system (Windows 7 64bit) and the same version of WinZIP installed.

Best regards,
Thorsten

Post "RE: WinZIP E-Mail Companion 2.x flagged as End-of-Life" has been selected as an answer.
This user no longer exists RE: WinZIP E-Mail Companion 2.x flagged as End-of-Life
Secunia Official 30th Apr, 2013 14:33
In order to investigate the issue can I ask you for the exact installation paths of your detected instances of WinZip E-Mail Companion 2.x?
Thoran RE: WinZIP E-Mail Companion 2.x flagged as End-of-Life
Member 30th Apr, 2013 15:14
Score: 0
User Since: 27th Jan 2011
Last edited on 30th Apr, 2013 15:15
Hi!

On both my Desktop Computer and my Laptop Computer WinZIP is installed in F:\WinZIP (I tend to install programs on a separate Partition and not within the path pointing to the operating System).

I also did a binary compare of the install Folder (i.e. F:\WinZIP) on both Computers and they Show up to be absolutely identical.

Regards,
Thorsten
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: WinZIP E-Mail Companion 2.x flagged as End-of-Life
Handling Contributor 30th Apr, 2013 15:26
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Emil,
I wrote to you recently on this issue. Email Companion shares the same DLL with WinZip Pro.

In that email I (incorrectly) stated that Email Companion was End of Life & has been replaced by WinZip Courier.

WinZip Courier is the latest version but I now note that Companion has been retained as legacy - http://www.winzip.com/win/en/downarc.htm

I am just off to fix a PC that has Companion installed - I will try & find another file to recommend & submit it to you to prevent the confusion.

Both WinZip Pro V 17.0.10381 & WinZip Courier V4.5.10424 show correctly. The meta data being picked up by Secunia is:

WinZip Pro C:\Program Files\WinZip\Winzip64.exe

WinZip Courier C:\Program Files (x86)\WinZip Courier\Config.exe

Hope this helps.

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+3
This user no longer exists RE: WinZIP E-Mail Companion 2.x flagged as End-of-Life
Secunia Official 30th Apr, 2013 16:11
Our detection rule for WinZip E-Mail Companion 2.x has been adjusted so that it should no longer be detected when it is bundled with WinZip. Please try a rescan and let me know if any of you should still see any issues.

@ Maurice
Thank you for your assistance, it is as always appreciated.
ScottJWalter RE: WinZIP E-Mail Companion 2.x flagged as End-of-Life
Member 30th Apr, 2013 17:05
User Since: 30th Apr 2013
One thing I'll throw in here as well: I encountered the same situation and, when checking "additional information" found that the copy of email Companion PSI had identified was in a directory down in the AppData tree (users/{username}/appdata/...) in a temporary folder used by Chrome. It looks like it was something that was downloaded as part of either a chrome update or an extension update or something (not real certain about what Chrome stores there).

Solution: delete temporary folders (and their contents) there. Program gone. Problem solved.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Thoran RE: WinZIP E-Mail Companion 2.x flagged as End-of-Life
Member 30th Apr, 2013 21:10
User Since: 27th Jan 2011
Hi!

OK! A rescan now solved the Problem. Thanks a lot!

Regards,
Thorsten
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.