Forum Thread: New version date error

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
Midnight_Voice New version date error
Member 2nd May, 2013 08:49
Ranking: 50
User Since: 1st Oct, 2010
System Score: N/A
The righthand side of the page at:

http://secunia.com/products/consumer/psi/sys_req/

lists the new version of PSI (3.0.0.6005) with the Release Date of the previous version (3.0.0.6001)

though the lefthand side is correct.

I see that my plea that PSI should tell us when there is a new version available has once again fallen on deaf ears :-(

Is there any way we can know when there's a new one out, short of looking every day?

--
A computer program can do pretty much anything the user doesn't know is impossible for it to do.

XP Home 32-bit - Compaq Presario V2000 Celeron 1.4GHz
Vista Ultimate 32-bit - Toshiba Equium A100 Centrino Duo 1.7GHz
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit - Dell Studio XPS 1645 Core i7-720 Quad 1.6-2.4GHz
(Also running XP Pro in Windows XP Mode 32-bit)
Windows 8.1 Home Premium 64-bit - Lenovo IdeaPad Z500 Core i5 2.6Ghz

MehulBhai RE: New version date error
Member 2nd May, 2013 09:04
Score: 36
User Since: 17th Jul 2011
I have reported to the Webmaster too about this about a week back but nothing has been done till now!!!???
Was this reply relevant?
+1
This user no longer exists RE: New version date error
Secunia Official 2nd May, 2013 10:07
Last edited on 2nd May, 2013 10:09 Thanks for reporting the incorrect release date in the PSI section on our website. Our webmaster has indeed been informed.

If your currently installed version of the PSI is working and enabling you to keep your programs patched and secure, then there should usually be no need to check for updates to the PSI all the time. New is not always better. The PSI treats updates for itself just like for any other program, so if a vulnerability should ever be found in the PSI (never happened so far) you will be alerted just like with any other program.
Please see the discussion in this thread for more details:
http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/139...

Alternatively, a free service such as http://www.changedetection.com or a similar website may be useful.

Please note however that we are indeed working to implement some feature in PSI 3 which will make it easier to check for updates to the PSI itself.
Midnight_Voice RE: New version date error
Member 2nd May, 2013 10:46
Score: 50
User Since: 1st Oct 2010
Last edited on 2nd May, 2013 18:21
Thanks

I understand how Secunia PSI only reports new program versions when they resolve known security issues, and why.

So I use FileHippo to be alerted to programs with just functional upgrades; but PSI seems to be outside their scope :-(

So it will be very useful to be alerted to new versions from within the PSI program itself.

As it happens, I did/do have a very annoying problem with 3..0..0.6001, which is why I looked for an upgrade. See my new thread 'Stop running this script?' for details

--
A computer program can do pretty much anything the user doesn't know is impossible for it to do.

XP Home 32-bit - Compaq Presario V2000 Celeron 1.4GHz
Vista Ultimate 32-bit - Toshiba Equium A100 Centrino Duo 1.7GHz
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit - Dell Studio XPS 1645 Core i7-720 Quad 1.6-2.4GHz
(Also running XP Pro in Windows XP Mode 32-bit)
Windows 8.1 Home Premium 64-bit - Lenovo IdeaPad Z500 Core i5 2.6Ghz
Was this reply relevant?
+1

This thread has been marked as locked.