Forum Thread: Version 3.0 thoughts

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
joe schmoe Version 3.0 thoughts
Member 10th May, 2013 08:16
Ranking: 41
User Since: 26th Nov, 2008
System Score: N/A
Recently purchased a refurbished system able to run most of the latest software available. Was a good deal for what it is, and as the XP system noted below is beginning to show it's age, I thought it a good idea to have a second computer around before it died for the last time.

Overall, PSI version 3.0 is capable and does a good job in providing information about what is installed on the system, but differs greatly from PSI version 2.0.0.3003 in one respect:

Anytime the Win 7 system is rebooted, upon arriving at the desktop, cpu activity remains much higher than normal until an internet connection is provided. Version 3.0 even complains if there is no internet connection detected via a pop-up message!

Once the internet connection is provided, cpu activity soon returns to idle or near idle state. Seems 3.0 is so active it is pestering the cpu with repeated calls to connect that it creates an extra load on the cpu that, in my opinion, really should not be there.

On the XP system, I do not see this extra cpu activity related to PSI at start up.

Unlike some other users, I feel the new 3.0 interface does not diminish the functionality of PSI in any way, but is easier to use and understand for the average home user.

--
XP Pro SP3 P4 3.2 HT 2 GB RAM Avast! 9.0.2018 AIS
Win 7 Home Pro SP1 Pentium D 2.8 3 GB RAM Avast 9.0.2018 AIS
Secunia PSI 2.0.0.3003 XP Pro 32-bit & Win 7 H Pro 64-bit

This user no longer exists RE: Version 3.0 thoughts
Secunia Official 10th May, 2013 12:11
When started, the PSI does indeed look for an internet connection as it needs to connect to our servers. I have not personally noticed the rise in CPU usage at boot time that you have mentioned, but your observation is interesting. Thank you for sharing it.
joe schmoe RE: Version 3.0 thoughts
Member 10th May, 2013 19:38
Score: 41
User Since: 26th Nov 2008
System Score: N/A
on 10th May, 2013 12:11, wrote:
When started, the PSI does indeed look for an internet connection as it needs to connect to our servers. I have not personally noticed the rise in CPU usage at boot time that you have mentioned, but your observation is interesting. Thank you for sharing it.

Thank you for your kind reply.

While this is not a bug, it does increase energy usage substantially over when it is connected to the internet. When it is connected, usage is normally in the 114-118 watt range, but when the update agent is active and running, it is up substantially. I see 159-168 watts continuous in this scenario. So, if I wish to disconnect the system from the internet whilst is not being used, this energy spike will run as long as the internet connection is not available.

cpu runs at 2-6% when internet connection is available, 52-64% when not.

So it is not only when a cold boot or restart is instantiated, but whenever an internet connection is not available.

Does not seem to be a green application to me at the moment, at least when no internet connection is available.

Why does the update agent not seem to time out after a certain amount of time?

I do understand the version I am using, 3.0.0.6005, had certain fixes over the prior version, and included a fix to the update agent, maybe this was an unintended consequence?

--
XP Pro SP3 P4 3.2 HT 2 GB RAM Avast! 9.0.2018 AIS
Win 7 Home Pro SP1 Pentium D 2.8 3 GB RAM Avast 9.0.2018 AIS
Secunia PSI 2.0.0.3003 XP Pro 32-bit & Win 7 H Pro 64-bit
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Version 3.0 thoughts
Secunia Official 13th May, 2013 11:48
I have contacted our developers for assistance answering your questions. I will update this thread if or when I receive a reply.

This thread has been marked as locked.