Forum Thread: PSI not updating itself

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
jjprice1 PSI not updating itself
Member 16th May, 2013 01:27
Ranking: -2
User Since: 7th May, 2013
System Score: N/A
I just noticed my installed version of PSI is 3.0.0.3001. This is from January 2011, more than two years out of date.

Secunia PSI is listed on the System Score page, which recognizes that it is version 3.0.0.3001, but it is flagged "Up-to-date", which is very wrong.

I had to get help from the forum for a problem which probably never would have occurred if PSI had been keeping itself updated.

How to I configure PSI to keep itself updated?

Maurice Joyce RE: PSI not updating itself
Handling Contributor 16th May, 2013 01:37
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
PSI is a vulnerability checker not a general updater. No version of PSI is vulnerable hence whatever version is installed it will be up to date.

This thread may help a bit more especially the post from Secunia Support:

https://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/14...

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
jjprice1 RE: PSI not updating itself
Member 16th May, 2013 07:29
Score: -2
User Since: 7th May 2013
That reasoning is invalid for software that keeps other programs up-to-date.

The software on several of my systems was insecure for 6 months because of a bug that would have been fixed automatically had PSI updated itself.

The customer in the other thread you linked to feels the same way. I doubt we're the only ones.

If PSI stops updating software, then it's not doing its job. If a PSI upgrade is required for PSI to keep working, then PSI needs to update itself as part of its job. There is no technological or moral justification for saying otherwise.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Maurice Joyce RE: PSI not updating itself
Handling Contributor 16th May, 2013 09:26
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Last edited on 16th May, 2013 09:35
I do not think anyone would argue that a basic options of any programme should be to have an mechanism whereby the user can check if a an update to it is available.

That said, it looks like you still misunderstand what Secunia PSI does.

It does not keep programmes up to date - provided a vendor releases a patch it will update or notify the user to update any programme that is vulnerable. It is not interested in the latest version of any programme that merely fixes bugs or makes cosmetic changes nor does it cater for programmes in ALPHA or BETA. This is made very clear in the FAQ:

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

None of the updates to PSI itself - change log here: https://secunia.com/products/consumer/PSI/sys_req/
changed/modified or updated the basic modus operandi of what PSI does. They are/were all minor bug fixes & in no way affected its ability to find & inform users that a vulnerability was present on a scanned system.

For that reason many Forum members still use version 1 or 2 which remain supported & does the same core job mainly:

https://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/persona...

The thread I pointed to makes Secunia's position on this subject very clear. They are looking at incorporating an update option but there are other tools available to check programmes for latest versions not affected by a vulnerability which includes PSI itself.

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+5

jjprice1

RE: PSI not updating itself
[+]
This reply has been minimised due to a negative Relevancy Score.

This thread has been marked as locked.