Forum Thread: Secunia PSI not working

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
a_bassman Secunia PSI not working
Member 26th Feb, 2009 13:00
Ranking: 0
User Since: 25th Feb, 2009
System Score: N/A
I have been using Secunia PSI (since 1st beta) successfully on both my desktop and laptop until this month. Last known successful scan was January. When scan starts, it seems to bypass steps 2-6 (search/validate process. Results come up all zero's. I tried a complete deinstall/reinstall. No good. I shut down my firewall. No good. I'm currently operating as admin.

Any other ideas??

jcrowell RE: Secunia PSI not working
Member 26th Feb, 2009 16:34
Score: 0
User Since: 9th Dec 2008
I have the same problem... using V1.0.0.1. Does anyone know what's happened?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
felix-freiberger RE: Secunia PSI not working
Member 26th Feb, 2009 17:23
User Since: 3rd Dec 2008
Last edited on 26th Feb, 2009 17:40
I had the same problem, I could solve it by re-installing the PSI, opening the "profile" tab, and just clicking "save".

I don't know if the reinstall is needed, just try the re-saving, and if it doesn't work, re-install and re-save.

EDIT: too fast, the PSI scanned as normal, the balloon (systray) says 97 programs, and the message within the PSI says 0 programs...

EDIT2: Now, the PSI sometimes completes the scan very fast, but says that it has found 94 programs, and no insecure programs. The OSI detects an old version of QuickTime, so these results can't be correct!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Pam51 RE: Secunia PSI not working
Member 26th Feb, 2009 18:07
Score: 2
User Since: 26th Dec 2008
I have been having similar problems and Secunia is also not recognising that I've done a scan. It is the same on both of my laptops on one of them I tried a reinstall but it's made no difference. My problems seemed to have started after Secunia told me Flashplayer was insecure. I uninstalled and downloaded latest version and since then everythings gone to pot!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
metaed RE: Secunia PSI not working
Member 26th Feb, 2009 19:03
Score: 1
User Since: 11th Feb 2009
I am getting a variety of unusual events from Secunia PSI 1.0.0.3 starting today and on two PCs. These installs have been working every day for weeks. PSI now seems to be failing at various points in the process of starting up and scanning.

Startup error:
An error occurred. You PSI installation does not appear to have registered it self correctly. Please ensure that 'psi.exe' is allowed to connect to the Internet, then please close down the PSI and start it again. Alternatively, try to re-verify your account. Re-verify account If this still doesn't solve this issue, then please contact support@secunia.com for further assistance.

Overview tab:
Program Overview (right now) No data to display. Historic Development Invalid XML data.

Insecure, end of life tabs:
No data. Waiting for first scan to finish.

Scan tab:
Scan Status Scan completed in 3 seconds Error Log No errors detected.

Forum (all threads, all users)
This user no longer exists

All of these problems are repeatable but not consistently so. So far today I have been unable to complete a scan.

I have already tried "Exit" and restart Secunia PSI multiple times. I have not yet tried reinstalling.

Based on the content and variety of errors, it looks like intermittent dropped connections when PSI is requesting search rules, signatures, profile info, and so on from the Secunia server.

The fact that two of my PCs are involved and the fact that others are reporting similar errors strongly implicates the network either at Secunia headquarters or an Internet routing service between here and there.

--
Sometimes they fool you by walking upright.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 26th Feb, 2009 19:17
metaed, every problem you've listed I have encountered today and as you say the problems are repeatable but not consistently so. I think I'll wait a while and see what happens.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
carmenp RE: Secunia PSI not working
Member 26th Feb, 2009 19:25
User Since: 25th Nov 2008
also having the same problem
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Eagle2 RE: Secunia PSI not working
Member 26th Feb, 2009 19:37
User Since: 6th Jan 2008
I am having the same problem in that PSI scan does not work today, February 26. I installed the latest versions of Sun Java and Adobe Flash Player last night and PSI scanned my PC successfully (February 26 ~1:00AM CST). Today, the scan does not work and PSI is useless. I saved my profile several times but that did not help. I removed and reinstalled PSI three times. The last two times were with a fresh download from the Secunia site. Sometimes I see a message on the overview page that states that my xml history file is corrupt and I have no history. Other times my history is alright and PSI has my history from last night's scan but I cannot run a scan. Currently my scan shows 0 programs. The scans skip step 2 (Downloading search rules from Secunia) to step 6 (Determining missing Microsoft Security Patches). My last total scan took 6 seconds on a 5 year old PC. Though step 8 says it is completed, the blue scan bar still shows.

Maybe this problem is caused by a change Secunia made to the server site.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 26th Feb, 2009 19:46
I performed an Exit of Secunia PSI, uninstalled Adobe Flash Player ActiveX, started Secunia PSI, and was then able to complete a scan.

Could be a cooincidence. Or could be the new Flash ActiveX plugin has made Secunia PSI unstable. I will repeat the experiment several times and see whether there is any definite correlation between the presence of Adobe Flash Player ActiveX and the presence of the errors.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Eagle2 RE: Secunia PSI not working
Member 26th Feb, 2009 19:49
User Since: 6th Jan 2008
I have been having the same problem as everyone on this thread. I just tried another scan on PSI and the problem appears to be fixed. Apparently there was a problem on Secunia's server.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the program three times but the problem wasn't on my PC.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 26th Feb, 2009 20:53
I cannot prove a correlation between Flash and the problem. After uninstalling Adobe Flash Player ActiveX I got three good scans, but after reinstalling I got one good scan. I used my other PC as control, and did not change anything there: it has now also performed one good scan.

In short the problem seems to have simply disappeared (as reported above). So I am still putting this down to a glitch on the network or at Secunia.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
BigDave_39 RE: Secunia PSI not working
Member 26th Feb, 2009 21:36
User Since: 26th Nov 2008
No problems here anymore. My PSI is working flawlessly again ;-)

--
Big Dave
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 27th Feb, 2009 11:13
I'm a bit behind you guys but can also report no problems today on either computer. Problem seems sorted.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
a_bassman RE: Secunia PSI not working
Member 27th Feb, 2009 11:56
User Since: 25th Feb 2009
Followup:
After reading some of the posts, Eagle2 describes the situation best. I have since removed Adobe Flash and Java. PSI still comes back results =0. Another observation.... I've always run PSI in advanced mode. In the past, when I started PSI, the blue scroll bar would come up to verify the connection (which it still does), then the splash screen comes up indicating that the scan has started (and it did). Now the splash screen comes up but the scan does not start. I don't remember having to always manually start the scan. Also, as mentioned, the scan is taking less than 6-11 seconds to run. In the past it would take a good minute or two (I have many applications across two partitions to scan). Final note, I double checked my browser security and all appears to be in order. I even added psi.secunia.com to my Trusted Site List. I'm very sceptical to believe the problem is at my end on this one...... all was fine up until this month. I have made no changes/mods with the exception of Microsoft Updates.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 27th Feb, 2009 13:01
Another followup- this one might be for Secunia.....
I went to an archived backup and retrieved/restored a copy of PSI RC3. Started it up and ran perfectly. I now have my profile back although I lost my 10 week history. So, RC3 ran for 30 seconds. I could clearly see it stop at step 2,3,4 (download, search, & collecting phase) It came back with an initial score of 98 because I have one insecure program, a couple of EOL programs I want to keep and 133 patched programs. What I don't understand is, I had the 3 programs ignored before. I set RC3 to ignore them but they keep showing up now in the scan results. RC3 didn't work like that prior to 1.0 being released. BTW, RC3 is reminding me that an update is available. DUH
So, I closed out RC3 and started 1.0. No luck. HMMMMM....

So here I am..... longtime user of PSI. Been recommending to friends and clients. Now it doesn't work?? I'm stuck with 1.0 that doesn't work or RC3 Beta that partially works?? What happened?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Secunia PSI not working
Secunia Official 27th Feb, 2009 13:06
Hi

as i wrote in this post: http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/142...

The PSI should work fine now.

--
Kind regards,

Morten Hansen
Secunia PSI Support

Secunia PSI
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal

Member 27th Feb, 2009 13:31
Thanks for the update Mr. Hansen. However, I'm not able to get thru the server running 1.0 (message: please wait while network connectivity is verified). RC3 seems to work ok but it is not following my Ignore Rules.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 27th Feb, 2009 13:40
Final note: Ok, seems accessing server is quite busy. However, PSI 1.0 still skips steps 2-6. Goes straight to step 7 and finishes with 0 results.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Secunia PSI not working
Secunia Official 27th Feb, 2009 14:14
Last edited on 27th Feb, 2009 14:18
jcrowell RE: Secunia PSI not working
Member 27th Feb, 2009 16:44
User Since: 9th Dec 2008
Last edited on 27th Feb, 2009 16:46
I upgraded to 1.0.0.3, and after a few false starts. it now works.

My thinking is that there was some issue with the Secunia server that is now fixed. It seems to be the only answer that fits all the evidence. Perhaps someone at Secunia could comment?

Oops.. just noted that they did comment -- and it was the server....
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 27th Feb, 2009 19:57
I'm afraid my problems are back, so I've responded to Secunia Official as it's likely things are not yet back as they should be. Think it might be a case of waiting a while to see if things get back to normal.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Sjuie RE: Secunia PSI not working
Member 27th Feb, 2009 21:05
User Since: 27th Feb 2009
Unfortunately, Mr. Hansen (Secunia official support), the problem with does not appear to be resolved yet. I am still having the same problem described by "no spam" user. Secunia PSI now loads but skips steps and will not complete scan. I've tried re-booting, installing and re-installing, and checked firewall settings. I used CCleaner to do a registry scan and found a lot of errors after my attempts to scan with PSI that were apparently created by browser flash plug in, so I removed all flash from computer. This did not resolve the problem either.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
R Scardera RE: Secunia PSI not working
Member 28th Feb, 2009 00:18
User Since: 9th Apr 2008
Mine worked fine 6 days ago, before the Flash and Shockwave updates, but today just skips from 1% done to 93% done, then pops up a window that says "Scan aborted!" Same results after rebooting, and after switching to Simple interface.

Please look again re what else can be fixed, as this problem has not been resolved.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
StenoboyDP RE: Secunia PSI not working
Member 28th Feb, 2009 02:12
User Since: 11th Sep 2008
I was having the same problems others describe until I realized I had applied the temporary fix Adobe recommends for the Acrobat/Acrobat Reader buffer overflow security issue until they release a patch on 3/11/09, which is to disable Acrobat Javascript in Acrobat Reader.

PSI was telling me that Adobe Flash Player was insecure. I used Adobe's uninstaller, and then I updated using PSI's link to Flash Player. Then running PSI gave me "scan aborted" messages. In Overview the message was "invalid XML data."

Once Acrobat Javascript was enabled, everything is back to normal.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Bob_Primak RE: Secunia PSI not working
Member 28th Feb, 2009 06:17
User Since: 28th Feb 2009
Last edited on 28th Feb, 2009 07:10
I am using Version dot-03, and it is not the Secunia PSI software, nor Flash, nor any PDF Reader, nor any JAVA Runtime which is at fault. There seem to be residual server side problems. Even Account Creation and login are a bit slow or flaky. The problems seem to be abating now that in the USA it is late at night. BTW, I use Foxit Reader instead of Adobe. PC World reports that non-Adobe PDF readers may be less vulnerable to the attacks than the Adobe products. Read about it at:

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/1600...

-- Bob --

--
-- Bob --
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 28th Feb, 2009 11:51
Still having same problems as well. RC3 still works. However, I just noticed that 1.0 indicates an error was logged.

---START OF ERROR LOG---
You have reached the limit of your Secunia NSI License Key.

Please purchase a new License Key from Secunia, view "Account Information-> NSI Licenses" or contact Secunia Sales (sales@secunia.com) for further information.
---END OF ERROR LOG

Not sure why I would be getting an error message for the NSI Product.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
puget1 RE: Secunia PSI not working
Member 28th Feb, 2009 18:03
Score:
User Since: 21st Dec 2007
Hey I know what you ALL are talking about. It appears that the crew have been getting into to much Heineken. They forgot to advise that Secunia itself has been updated to v1.0.0.3. I know I was never advised. Don't forget if you run cookie and script protection to allow for Secunia. Itappears that it is sensitive to thisprotection also.

--
Windows 10 64bit

There is No magic bullet in computing; only work a rounds.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Bob_Primak RE: Secunia PSI not working
Member 1st Mar, 2009 09:23
User Since: 28th Feb 2009
The desktop PSI doesn't need Cookies or anything like that. NSI does have a subscription, so it may need a renewal. And PSI is no longer flaky, but the official log in page here in the forums is flaky -- it still won't recognize my username and password. Just some growing pains, I guess.

--
-- Bob --
Was this reply relevant?
+0
puget1 RE: Secunia PSI not working
Member 1st Mar, 2009 14:31
Score:
User Since: 21st Dec 2007
Last edited on 1st Mar, 2009 14:40
Are you sure about the cookie and scripts protection since I remember to do that haven't had a problem. Most everything has settled down.Oh well learn every day especially from the forums.

--
Windows 10 64bit

There is No magic bullet in computing; only work a rounds.

Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.