Forum Thread: PSI runs very, very slowly on account of a script

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
NormanS PSI runs very, very slowly on account of a script
Member 22nd May, 2013 20:28
Ranking: 2
User Since: 18th Jan, 2009
System Score: N/A
I'm running PSI version 3.0.0.7009.

While the program boots up, a message pops up that states this:
"[i]Stop running this script?
A script on this page is causing Internet Explorer to run slowly. If it continues to run, your computer might become unresponsive.[i]"

If I stop the script, PSI hangs; if I let the script run, PSI runs very, very, slowly.

What's the solution?

NormanS

--
NormanS

Maurice Joyce RE: PSI runs very, very slowly on account of a script
Handling Contributor 22nd May, 2013 20:39
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
This may help with finding a cure:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308260

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
NormanS RE: PSI runs very, very slowly on account of a script
Member 22nd May, 2013 21:07
Score: 2
User Since: 18th Jan 2009
Hi Maurice,

Thank you for your tip; I'll look into it. I should hasten to add that the message I wrote about pops up ONLY when I'm running PSI; in fact, I normally don't use I.E.

Do you see a logic to explain I.E. generating a script on account of PSI running?

NormanS

--
NormanS
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 22nd May, 2013 22:50
Yes - it is trying to communicate with the Secunia server. The clue is here under System Requirements.

https://secunia.com/products/consumer/PSI/sys_req/

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 23rd May, 2013 00:01
Hi Maurice,
Following instructions from the first link you gave, I tried all six proffered solutions, but none worked. The last one, involved a Microsoft Diagnostic that looked for printer drivers and printer diagnostics, but that routine would not run.

I've used PSI for a year or more and only encountered this problem recently.

--
NormanS
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 23rd May, 2013 00:18
Similar type thread here:

https://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/14...

I will ask Secunia Support to look at this thread for you tomorrow.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: PSI runs very, very slowly on account of a script
Secunia Official 23rd May, 2013 12:49
Our developers have been informed about the issue so that they can investigate what is causing the pop-up from Internet Explorer. I will update the thread when I have any news.
Paladin Creations RE: PSI runs very, very slowly on account of a script
Member 24th May, 2013 07:16
Score: 0
User Since: 13th Jan 2009
I too am having the same problem on Firefox browser, I had this problem with updating my iTunes which I also have on my iPad and this laptop with Windows 8! I had to stop the script from running! John

--
Paladin Creations
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Consultant24 RE: PSI runs very, very slowly on account of a script
Member 30th May, 2013 16:03
Score: -12
User Since: 30th May 2013
I actually had a ticket in on this about a week or so before this thread started. Similar issues with Windows XP SP3. Commenting now before they close this thread for inactivity.

The IE script messages would first appear during the initialization process. As per Secunia's advice I reset IE to default settings to no avail. The taskbar icon remains grey all the time.
Tried re-installing the same build (3.0.0.7009) and it worked for one day, still with the script messages and now during the scan process it has script messages where it never did before.

Currently the taskbar icon remains grey and the program does a 1 minute scan and stays on the last date of the last full scan which was days ago.

Whatever changes occurred in the last few builds are definitely causing these issues.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 6th Jun, 2013 19:05
on 23rd May, 2013 12:49, wrote:
Our developers have been informed about the issue so that they can investigate what is causing the pop-up from Internet Explorer. I will update the thread when I have any news.

It has been 2 weeks and no updates from you on this issue. Any updates before they close this thread?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 7th Jun, 2013 10:08
Last edited on 7th Jun, 2013 10:09
I am still waiting to hear any more about this issue although I have the same problem whilst using Firefox browser! I suppose I'll just have to wait for a solution from Secunia we should hear something soon don't you think?

--
Paladin Creations
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: PSI runs very, very slowly on account of a script
Secunia Official 7th Jun, 2013 14:12
Member 7th Jun, 2013 16:09
Thanks for your reply Martin, I'll await Secunia's fix for this, many thanks, as I'm sure evryone with this problem will read this
John

--
Paladin Creations
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Devil505 RE: PSI runs very, very slowly on account of a script
Member 13th Jun, 2013 01:30
User Since: 8th May 2010
Same problem here for several month (probably since version 3) - opening/ starting PSI takes several minutes (on a core i7-3820 system with 2x 500 GB HDs) and NEVER finishes without at least one script warning first.
In addition to that I never seem to get the updating option for outdated software, only a status like checking/ analyzing (or similar - can't remember the correct term as currently my software's up-to-date) for every outdated software found.

Like mentioned above this is ALWAYS the case.
Interestingly enough I twice deinstalled PSI and installed it anew - BOTH times the 1st scan was done in a very short time and the results appeared to be correct and complete.

I wonder what's wrong if a re-install of PSI including a scan is considerably faster than a rescan/ update - or why for that matter PSI has enough information to tell me something's not up-to-date but opening PSI to see what's outdated start a new complete scan taking ages.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 18th Jun, 2013 02:56
Any updates? Tomorrow build 3.0.0.7009 will be 2 months old and still having these issues.

Looking forward to getting a fully functional product again.

Thanks.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 18th Jun, 2013 11:29
That's strange as on my PC Secunia is working 100% perfectly, but on my laptop it is at this moment saying "Web Browser Stop running this script? A script on this page is causing your web browser (Firefox) to run slowly. If it continues to run, your computer might become unresponsive." there's boxes to click Yes or No. I'm sure you have the same problem, but I don't know what script is causing this problem although it wanted to update Internet Explorer browser to a new version, but I don't use that browser really! Not much help I'm afraid! :-( JOHN

--
Paladin Creations
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Secunia Official 18th Jun, 2013 11:49
Member 18th Jun, 2013 15:04
Thank you for responding. Two months is a very long time in the world of software to wait for a fix but hopefully the information gathered during the process will eliminate this from happening in future builds.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 18th Jun, 2013 15:35
For what it's worth, as noted by me previously, I too do not use I.E. by default.

NormanS

--
NormanS
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 18th Jun, 2013 15:41
Nor do I. Chrome has been my default browser for ages now.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 18th Jun, 2013 22:05
on 18th Jun, 2013 11:29, Paladin Creations wrote:
That's strange as on my PC Secunia is working 100% perfectly, but on my laptop it is at this moment saying "Web Browser Stop running this script? A script on this page is causing your web browser (Firefox) to run slowly. If it continues to run, your computer might become unresponsive." there's boxes to click Yes or No. I'm sure you have the same problem, but I don't know what script is causing this problem although it wanted to update Internet Explorer browser to a new version, but I don't use that browser really! Not much help I'm afraid! :-( JOHN

Funny that - both my computers are laptops and on both PSI behaves similar (i.e. very slow, running into the script warning), but I doubt it's more than coincidence.
Both run different OS' (Win 7 x64 and Win XP x32) but both run similar software (most prominently the same Virus Scanners).
One thing ALL Laptops have in common is that if they use conventional HDs (as opposed to SSDs), the disk performance usually is lower than on Desktop systems.
My Win7 Laptop is equipped with a Seagate Momentus XT hybrid drive though which should be fast enough...
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 18th Jun, 2013 22:17
on 18th Jun, 2013 15:35, NormanS wrote:
For what it's worth, as noted by me previously, I too do not use I.E. by default.

NormanS

I don't think it matters what your default browser is (mine is FireFox).
MS IE provides an interface that's used by several programs - there's a difference if you just want to show some HTML content (like HTML help pages that are stored locally or on the web) or if you want to show interactive content based on HTML, java script or similar that interactes with the program - the former can be easily done by invoking the default system browser while the latter requires either writing your own code, use someone elses code or use an interface that's available on nearly every windows PC, like the windows internet explorer API.
...and that's what I suspect was done here - hence we all see the same script warning regardless of what browser our system defaults to.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Qbert RE: PSI runs very, very slowly on account of a script
Member 22nd Jun, 2013 16:26
User Since: 22nd Jun 2013
How many are running McAfee? I also have the script error, but clicking yes to stop the script from running shuts down the sua.exe that runs in the background (then PSI won't load). Just curious if McAfee is in anyway the culprit.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 22nd Jun, 2013 16:59
I use NOD32, and do not hold McAfee in high regard.

--
NormanS
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 23rd Jun, 2013 01:25
Avast! here, but even turning it off before a PSI scan doesn't make any noticeable difference in respect of the time a scan requires, hence it's unlikely having NO AntiVirus software installed would resolve that matter.
Like I stated before: in my experience a complete uninstall of PSI followed by a reinstall tends to give me one reasonably fast scan without the script-error window (which I consider as a process running into a timeout anyway, like the process taking considerably longer than anybody ever expected and as such throwing a warning something might "hang")
Was this reply relevant?
+1
leskoonk RE: PSI runs very, very slowly on account of a script
Member 26th Jun, 2013 13:59
Score: 3
User Since: 15th Jun 2010
Odd, I was not experiencing this problem until yesterday.

Now, suddenly all of my computers are seeing this same problem.

Larry
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 26th Jun, 2013 17:48
It is happening on more and more PC's and I am very disappointed that it has been over 2 months since Secunia was notified and they still don't have a solution let alone a reason why this is happening.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Paladin Creations RE: PSI runs very, very slowly on account of a script(NOT AN UPDATE!)
Member 27th Jun, 2013 14:15
Although we haven't had an update yet from Secunia, my Secunia PSI is running perfectly on my PC but is now not opening at all on my laptop both with Windows 8 64bit, on my laptop it just hangs when opened and says "Not Responding" we will just have to be patient that Secunia will find a patch for it soon eh with the script message? I know they are reading these messages we put up on this forum. JOHN

--
Paladin Creations
Was this reply relevant?
+0
blueice_haller RE: PSI runs very, very slowly on account of a script
Member 30th Jun, 2013 21:27
Score: -5
User Since: 30th Jun 2013
Last edited on 30th Jun, 2013 21:42
Hello,
until today I used Secunia PSI 3.0 and it worked perfect without the question y/n to end the script *. When I started it today I decided to click register and give the Small Business Beta a try.
I have 3 machines, all with the same Setup file 3.0.0.7010:
o WinXP x86, AMD Dual Core 4450e, 3,25 GB Ram, IE 8.0.6001
o WinXP x64, Intel Core2Duo E7400, 4 GB Ram, IE 8.0.6001
o Win7 x64, Intel Core2Duo P8600, 4 GB Ram, IE 10.0.9200/10.0.6

On Win7 it works and on the WinXP machines PSI/IE asks me if I will stop the script but cannot remember no.

The Small Business Beta has potential but the great developers have to find an way to bypass IE to avoid JavaScript messages.

* In Firefox I often got the question, too. Here I can say end the script or try not but with the checkbox remeber. In most cases this has to do with the spell check is hanging.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 1st Jul, 2013 00:23
I was running Secunia on my laptop this morning, and it said I was not connected to the Internet, so as Secunia was not doing anything I corrected the connection with the wizard [on Windows 8] and to my surprise the Secunia started to work normally, it had just hung forever before, so it has updated all my programs I'm glad to say!! Perhaps this has happened to some other forum readers? I have now got 100% on the laptop version of Secunia, and also OK on my PC too! I don't know why the script error appeared?? Hope this will be of help to someone?

--
Paladin Creations
Was this reply relevant?
+0

Consultant24

RE: PSI runs very, very slowly on account of a script
[+]
This reply has been minimised due to a negative Relevancy Score.
Secunia Official 2nd Jul, 2013 09:40
We are still working on this issue. With a little luck we will have it solved later this week.
Secunia Official 4th Jul, 2013 12:46
A new version of PSI 3 has just been released. The changelog will be updated shortly. Feel free to give it a try and let us know if the script issue has been fixed.
Member 4th Jul, 2013 13:38
Thanks for informing us of the new update, I will try it on my laptop first as Secunia was taking a very long time to start up, and I'll come back to tell you if it works well on my set up. John

--
Paladin Creations
Was this reply relevant?
+0

Consultant24

[+]
Secunia Official 5th Jul, 2013 09:39
@Consultant24
This is a bit surprising to us. Can you please confirm that you did in fact update to the new PSI 3 that we have just released? The new version is 3.0.0.7011.

If you are truly still experiencing the issue after updating to PSI version 3.0.0.7011 would you mind sending us a log file that could help us investigate the issue further? The file we need is called psialog.txt and is located in the PSI folder. We will very much appreciate if you send that file to support@secunia.com where our developers will examine it.
Member 5th Jul, 2013 10:40
I have Windows 8 64bit on my PC and laptop. I did have an issue with the script on my PSI but it seems to have corrected itself somehow as both my PC and laptop are working again well with it, although they take time to open!
The only issue I notice, is trying to find the new version (patch) you mention as if I typed into Google to find it, it comes up with several sites that have Secunia PSI 3.0 but none say what version or date so I can tell I'm up to date by downloading the new version etc, if I go on your Secunia site it doesn't tell you the version either?? I usually can update the different versions of various programs in general, but always look to see if it's the latest version, so how can I update to your new version? I don't usually have any problems apart from that. John

--
Paladin Creations
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Secunia Official 5th Jul, 2013 10:44
Both changelog and download links are available on this page:
http://secunia.com/products/consumer/PSI/sys_req/
Member 5th Jul, 2013 11:14
Many thanks for that, E.Jeppesen, I've downloaded the version, as I'm sure others will too. John

--
Paladin Creations
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 5th Jul, 2013 12:59
Last edited on 5th Jul, 2013 13:00
Mixed Result here:

On the windows 7 x64 machine PSI seems more responsive and doesn't run into the script error anymore.
On the windows XP x32 machine PSI still runs into the script error while in the "loading" phase (maybe a problem of Internet Explorer 8 on Win XP vs IE 10 on Win 7?).

Scans seem to be faster on both systems now.

As I don't have any programs requiring updates currently, I can't tell if the bug I had on BOTH systems still exists, that prevented me from updating any outdated software via PSI because old software was marked as "analyzing" (or similar) and never changed to the update options.

And yes, according to the "about dialog" both systems run 3.0.0.711 now.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

blueice_haller

[+]
Handling Contributor 5th Jul, 2013 14:13
blueice_haller

Sadly someone has hidden your FIRST post to the Forum with a negative score without explaining why. As a new Forum user you should be using the xSI sub Forum to post your query. It is never a good idea to "tag on" to someone else's Thread particularly if it is not related to the subject matter.

The answer to your query is that by sending out a new SMB invitation to your Endpoints it currently installs version 3.0.0.7010.

I reported it to Secunia last night & the developers are looking at the problem.

My advice - do nothing but sit back & wait for a fix.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 5th Jul, 2013 18:20
Confirmed it is the latest build.
As per the other forum member the issue is occurring mainly on the Windows XP 32bit SP3 machines with IE8. The majority of our folks still maintain this environment for stability reasons.
Will try to get that log file to your people.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.