Forum Thread: Secunia installs unwanted programs

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as resolved.
DSP01 Secunia installs unwanted programs
Member 22nd May, 2013 23:21
Ranking: 0
User Since: 22nd May, 2013
System Score: N/A
Hi, I've used Secunia for years on an XP desktop with no problems. A week ago I installed it on my recently built Windows 7 Pro 64bit desktop. No problems to start with but yesterday iTunes, a program that I've never installed appeared on my PC. Being unsure how this had happened I uninstalled it, plus all of Apple's associated programs and restarted my PC. Within a short time iTunes, plus all associated programs that I had just uninstalled reappeared on the PC. After a bit of head scratching I checked Secunia and from the log determined that this unwanted installation was being done by the program as an 'update'. However, as said earlier I've never installed iTunes and had just uninstalled it. I also noted that Secunia was offering me manual updates for other programs that I do not have installed (Firefox and Quicktime to name two). To confirm my belief that Secunia was installing the unwanted iTunes, I uninstalled iTunes again only for it to reappear as a Secunia update. I then uninstalled Secunia and iTunes, restarted the computer and as suspected iTunes was not re-installed, proving the fault lies with Secunia. The version I had installed was 3.0.0.7009. Hope you can fix this soon as I would love to be able to re-install and use Secunia again.

Post "RE: Secunia installs unwanted programs" has been selected as an answer.
Maurice Joyce RE: Secunia installs unwanted programs
Handling Contributor 22nd May, 2013 23:44
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
There is another way of checking that remnants of any programmes on your PC are not being found & updated is to switch off the auto update feature.

Install PSI & at the prompt do not allow auto updating.

Open PSI and check it has obeyed your rule under Settings here:

https://1ncuig.bn1.livefilestore.com/y2p_xWkZ7rKcr...

Now run a full PSI scan. Does it find any of the programmes that it is try/is updating? If so they require deletion to stop PSI from finding them in the future.

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
DSP01 RE: Secunia installs unwanted programs
Member 23rd May, 2013 01:09
Score: 0
User Since: 22nd May 2013
Thanks for the reply. I was aware that it was the auto update feature that was installing iTunes and that I could have turned that feature off to prevent auto installation of iTunes however, that's not the main point of the post. Even with the auto update turned off, Secunia is offering manual updates to programs that are not, and never have been installed on this PC. The reason I noticed that this was happening, was that with auto updates on, Secunia fully installed iTunes from scratch. I built this PC from components a few months ago, have only installed the software I wanted, which did not include any of the programs mentioned earlier, so there are not any remnants of these programs on the system for Secunia to find. Even so it's offering to update (read fully install) these programs.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Secunia installs unwanted programs
Secunia Official 23rd May, 2013 10:00
DSP01 RE: Secunia installs unwanted programs
Member 23rd May, 2013 11:50
Score: 0
User Since: 22nd May 2013
Last edited on 23rd May, 2013 15:30
Hi, thanks for the reply. I first installed Secunia on this PC last Friday (17 May) and at that time it scanned my system and told me that all programs were up to date with a score of 100%. I've not installed any programs this week but yesterday it displayed my score as 95% cause purely by suggesting updates to programs that are not installed. One thought that does come to mind is that yesterday I had an external hard drive connected that contains several Acronis backups of other peoples hard drives. They are all in the archive .tib format, but is it possible that Secunia is scanning them and then wanting to update (install) them on my PC. Surely that shouldn't happen. When I get some time later today, I'll re-install Secunia and see if I can reproduce the problem, checking what's detected if it does.

Later Update: I re-installed Secunia which immediately showed that I was again fully up to date 100%. I then reconnected the external drive and within a few minutes was being offered updates for programs. On checking as you describe above the files it was finding were on the external drive but not in a .tib archive as I suspected; I had a straight copy of someone elses Program Files folder (inside another folder) stored on there as well (for reference when previously re-installing Windows plus programs on their PC). It appears that programs in this non-active Program Files folder were being checked, with the updates (full programs) then being installed in my PCs Program Files folder. Is there a way of stopping this happening, blocking the drive from being checked maybe? Although it's perhaps not usual to store a copy of another Program Files folder on a PC, as it was buried on an external drive and inside another folder it would be better if it wasn't checked, especially when it then updates the active system folders.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Secunia installs unwanted programs
Secunia Official 24th May, 2013 12:40
on 23rd May, 2013 11:50, DSP01 wrote:
Is there a way of stopping this happening, blocking the drive from being checked maybe?

Yes. In PSI 3 you can click "Settings" ->"Scan individual drives". Then remove the check at the drive you do not want the PSI to scan.

This thread has been marked as locked.