Forum Thread: Version 3.0 thoughts continued

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
joe schmoe Version 3.0 thoughts continued
Member 1st Jun, 2013 21:09
Ranking: 41
User Since: 26th Nov, 2008
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 1st Jun, 2013 21:12

Original thread (now locked) here: http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/141...

Thanks to both for answering. Any response yet to cpu usage noted in the first thread by Secunia engineers?

Clarification: System is connected to home network but not to the ISP network, i. e., no internet access. Seems when PSI is running, there is a rather long period where it attempts to connect to Secunia PSI servers. This can result in up to double the system power usage over a period of 24 hours if the system is left on all day.

Workaround has been to deselect PSI on system start up and run it only when needed. Once per day seems to be sufficient. No problems with ISP connection available.

Otherwise, cpu issue will pop up until PSI is terminated manually.

[EDIT:] Typo and clarification modification.

--
XP Pro SP3 P4 3.2 HT 2 GB RAM Avast! 9.0.2018 AIS
Win 7 Home Pro SP1 Pentium D 2.8 3 GB RAM Avast 9.0.2018 AIS
Secunia PSI 2.0.0.3003 XP Pro 32-bit & Win 7 H Pro 64-bit

This user no longer exists RE: Version 3.0 thoughts continued
Secunia Official 5th Jun, 2013 10:51
joe schmoe RE: Version 3.0 thoughts continued
Member 5th Jun, 2013 12:31
Score: 41
User Since: 26th Nov 2008
Thank you M. Hagggvist for the update. Must've updated PSI whilst you were posting your reply, just so you know, exactly the same with the newer version, I'm afraid.

Possible in fixing the connectivity issues in the third prior version, that this unleashed a new bug not intended to cause this sort of problem.

I'm happy to run PSI manually for now, but using it this way is really no more work for me as long as I remember to run it at least once a day.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Secunia Official 5th Jun, 2013 14:05
Hi
We have heard back from our developers.
There has been made some improvement on the connection to the server which in some cases makes the PSI keep trying to connect, but the current implementation might be retrying to aggressively for a laptop running on battery.
Our developers are working on the issue and hopefully they are able to find a solution for that.
joe schmoe RE: Version 3.0 thoughts continued
Member 5th Jun, 2013 21:37
Score: 41
User Since: 26th Nov 2008
Glad to hear things are moving forward.

Interesting.

Win 7 system is not a laptop, but is a mini-tower desktop running with an APC backup solution, latest software for that backup model is installed and it is set to run at every start-up. Aside from that, it seems to think it is a laptop in the way it handles sleep mode by default (power button push causes it to go to sleep) and can be modified to hibernate by using the same mode (push power button to initiate). Currently have it set to hibernate on push because otherwise the APC software would have to wake up the system if a power outage were to occur and then initiate the hibernate function after. To avoid all that, I just initiate the hibernation setting myself to avoid any possible data loss.

XP system is a desktop mini-tower running version 2.0.0.3003 PSI, so it is unaffected. PSI there is set to always run on system start-up, unlike the Win 7 system, as it is currently configured.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Secunia Official 6th Jun, 2013 13:13

This thread has been marked as locked.