Forum Thread: Java 7 recent update issue- Causes PSI to bog down

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Oracle Corporation
And, this specific program:
Oracle Java JRE 1.7.x / 7.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
Qbert Java 7 recent update issue- Causes PSI to bog down
Member 22nd Jun, 2013 14:01
Ranking: 0
User Since: 22nd Jun, 2013
System Score: N/A
I too have had PSI recently run slow, but only after I updated to Java version 7 Update 25 (recent). It keeps trying to update from version 6. I uninstalled all versions of Java, then reinstalled Java 7/25, and the issue still exists. I don't think PSI is ready for the latest Java update yet. I'll set PSI to ignore this program until the issue is fixed.

Maurice Joyce RE: Java 7 recent update issue- Causes PSI to bog down
Handling Contributor 22nd Jun, 2013 14:37
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
No version of PSI uses JAVA. It does however detect it on any PC where it is installed.

What path is PSI showing to the JAVA file it is trying to update?

FINDING A FILE PATH USING PSI

VERSION 2

From the DASHBOARD page click on SCAN RESULTS.

1. This will list all your programmes with a + to the left of each programme.
2. Click the + sign next to the item that U want help with.
3. This will reveal the path under DETECTED INSTANCES.
4. Below DETECTED INSTANCES you will see this You can double click this row for additional information & options>double click it>a box will appear>look to the RIGHT & U will see TROUBLESHOOT REPORT in BLUE writing under the heading TOOLBOX> click TroubleShoot Report & it will reveal some information in a box>highlight the information revealed from ---START--- to ---END--- & copy it (CTRL+C) then post it to the Forum (CTRL+V)

VERSION 3
This version does not have such an easy method to publish the path.

Open PSI>once open select Show Programs.
U will now see a page full of programme icons or a list.
Right click on the programme in error>select Show Details - that will open a box showing the path & version number of the offending file.
U now have 2 options:
1. Write down the exact file path & install version - return to the Forum & type that information.
2. Take a screen shot & publish that.

Last Reviewed 13:34 22/06/2013

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Qbert RE: Java 7 recent update issue- Causes PSI to bog down
Member 22nd Jun, 2013 16:17
Score: 0
User Since: 22nd Jun 2013
Maurice- Thank you for your quick response. I was busy resolving my issue with version 3 on Windows XP. I also have the script error pop up. I chose NO to allow the script to run and keep sua.exe running in the background (selecting yes shut down Sua.exe). I have excluded Sun Java JRE and Oracle Java programs, if I didn't it would hang (forever it seems) trying to update to version 7/25 even though the latest update was installed and verified the installation at Oracle. PSI kept reporting I had the old version 6 of Java installed, and kept downloading the update to version 7/25. PSI now loads as fast as it did before the issues, and I can complete a scan as quickly as before all the issues. PSI will not recognize Java's latest update. I think this may be why several other people are all of a sudden having issues with. The script error is still there, I have script debugging disabled in IE. At least I know not to shut the script down. I hope my experience helps others.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Java 7 recent update issue- Causes PSI to bog down
Handling Contributor 22nd Jun, 2013 19:05
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Last edited on 23rd Jun, 2013 09:43
Sorry for the delay in replying but I have been testing PSI using my test PC's.

I cannot see any errors in the performance of PSI or Windows whether JAVA is installed or not.

My tests:

1. Updated JAVA from 7 update 21 to 25. It shows perfectly in the PSI scan results as 7.0.250.17. Multi tasked for a while using Office 2010 - Windows performance appeared normal.

2. Removed JAVA 7.

3. Installed JAVA 6.

4. Ran a PSI scan which detected a vulnerability.

5. Removed JAVA 6.

5. Checked the Registry & there was JAVA dross everywhere.

6. Downloaded this tool:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/javara/

I used two of the JAVARA options - Remove old versions - once that had completed I used Additional Tasks with all the options activated.

7. Ran a PSI scan & no trace of JAVA nor can I see any entries in the Registry.

8. Reloaded JAVA 7 for future testing.

PSI will only attempt to update programmes where it finds programme meta data that is vulnerable. By default that means that some remnants of version 6 remain installed.

There are two options:

1. Restore the ignored items & run a full PSI scan. That will give you the path to file it is trying to update. That file requires deleting.

2. Use JAVARA - that will remove all the JAVA dross if correctly programmed to do so.

If you remain convinced that the performance of PSI is impaired by JAVA you should collate all your evidence including screen shot & send the details to: support@secunia.com

EDIT: This tool is also available to help deleting JAVA.
http://www.java.com/en/download/faq/remove_olderve...

Hope this helps.

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+1

This thread has been marked as locked.