Forum Thread: Improvements

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
CletusBob Improvements
Member 29th Jun, 2013 03:13
Ranking: 0
User Since: 29th Jun, 2013
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 29th Jun, 2013 03:17

I've noticed there are a few very rough areas with the PSI tool,

Java in particular hasn't updated at all recently - it was so bad I have ended up manually doing after waiting a week and it still couldn't manage to patch this very important security hole - god forbid if I was using it for a corporate machine! Waiting a week or two for major security holes to finally update kind of defeats the purpose doesn't it?

Select a language - how many freakin times should I have to select a language? Maybe it could cache this somewhere and not hold up some update once a week waiting on me to pick the same language over and over?

This user no longer exists RE: Improvements
Secunia Official 1st Jul, 2013 10:13
Last edited on 1st Jul, 2013 10:15
CletusBob RE: Improvements
Member 2nd Jul, 2013 02:58
Score: 0
User Since: 29th Jun 2013
3.0.0.7009 and also the version before that.

The application version it is seeing shouldn't matter - my point is that it gets hung up waiting around for me to pick english yet again - something that should never happen. The ideal target for this product would be systems practicing good privilege seperation, aka they can't manually install and they shouldn't be exposed for weeks to security holes they can't patch themselves. If your target user is full admins who have to manually check it and do the installs themselves anyway then this software isn't really needed is it?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Secunia Official 2nd Jul, 2013 09:14
The issue with auto-updates getting stuck in PSI 3 should as mentioned have been solved in the latest version of PSI 3. If you are still experiencing any such issues with the latest version of PSI 3 then feel free to contact Secunia Support at support@secunia.com. Please include screenshots and also the log file called psialog.txt which is located in your PSI folder. We will then forward your information to our developers so they can look into it as time allows.
CletusBob RE: Improvements
Member 4th Jul, 2013 22:07
Score: 0
User Since: 29th Jun 2013
I just did a scan and it shows 100%, but I manually check and foxit and PSI both have updates that aren't getting found..

This tool has a lot of potential but it seems very much beta at this point. What is your target demographic for this thing? I know corporate also uses PSI on many machines as I have looked into it for my company as well, and I know what we want is a tool we can put on and not have to go back and reapply updates manually or pick the language over and over on a few hundred machines. Even for regular end users, this thing should be an install and forget kind of tool, not something that needs to have manual language selections or programs that leave security holes open for days or weeks.

The once a week window should also be customizable, I can see why you would probably not want it sooner with the current server dependant design, but maybe there is a better way to handle that too so it wouldn't increase your bandwidth costs?

All in all I really had high hopes for this tool but find it barely usable at this point... I'm sure many others feel the same way but haven't bothered to give any feedback.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Secunia Official 5th Jul, 2013 09:20
Last edited on 5th Jul, 2013 09:22

This thread has been marked as locked.