Forum Thread: Shockwave Flash Active X problem

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Adobe Systems
And, this specific program:
Adobe Flash Player 11.x

This thread has been marked as resolved.
Nikilet Shockwave Flash Active X problem
Member 13th Jul, 2013 03:11
Ranking: 7
User Since: 15th Jul, 2008
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 13th Jul, 2013 03:24

I wonder if I'll ever get an understanding of this flash player business.

My psi is showing:
C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash\Flash32_11_7_70 0_224.ocx, version 11.7.700.224 (ActiveX)

I used the Flash uninstaller and when I go to install, it won't let me. I get a window that says
"Host" on the top left, and then below there is a red circle with a big white X inside and it says, "Unable to load application configuration."

Under plugins/Firefox it shows I have the new version. I have no idea what is going on here.

Can someone help, please? Maurice, are you out there?

..... All of a sudden it something seems to have shaken loose and it's recognizing the new flash player when I go to the test page. I am rescanning with psi to see what it shows.

Back one more time ... Sorry. PSI is still showing that item (listed above) as insecure.

Post "RE: Shockwave Flash Active X problem" has been selected as an answer.
Maurice Joyce RE: Shockwave Flash Active X problem
Handling Contributor 13th Jul, 2013 09:17
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
I am unsure which version of PSI you are using. Try one of these:

PSI VERSION 2

THE IMPORTANT BIT WITH FLASH - Before deleting the vulnerable file check these programmes are completely shut down (use the Task Manager if necessary (CTRL+SHIFT+ESC) to COMPLETELY EXIT these processes if running)):

a. All Browsers.
b. Windows Messenger.
c. Incredimail.
d. All Adobe Products.
e. PSI - Unless using version 2 or version 3
f. Microsoft Skype & Plus! For Skype
g. Microsoft Money

Now do this:

1. Open PSI>Scan results.

2. Against the programme marked as vulnerable is a + sign to the left of it.

3. Click that & it will reveal DETECTED INSTANCES.

4. Below that are two yellow folders. Click the one WITHOUT a red dot.

5. That will open Windows (File) Explorer & you will be able to see the vulnerable file.
C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash\Flash32_11_7_70 0_224.ocx

6. Right click on that file & select delete.

7. Carry out a full PSI scan & all should be in order.

Last Reviewed 08:09 13/07/2013

PSI VERSION 3

THE IMPORTANT BIT - Before deleting the vulnerable file check these programmes are completely shut down (use the Task Manager if necessary (CTRL+SHIFT+ESC) to COMPLETELY EXIT these processes if running)):

a. All Browsers.
b. Windows Messenger.
c. Incredimail.
d. All Adobe Products.
e. Microsoft Skype & Plus! For Skype

Now do this:

Open PSI>once open select Show Programs.

You will now see a page full of programme icons or a list.

Right click on the icon that represents the programme in error>select Show Details - that will open a box showing the path & version number of the offending file.

Double click on C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash\Flash32_11_7 _70 0_224.ocx, version 11.7.700.224

That will open Windows (File) Explorer & you will see that file. Right click on it & select delete.

Last Reviewed 08:09 13/07/2013

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Nikilet RE: Shockwave Flash Active X problem
Member 13th Jul, 2013 20:02
Score: 7
User Since: 15th Jul 2008
Last edited on 13th Jul, 2013 20:06
I have version 2 of psi.

I did as you instructed, but the re-scan shows the same problem.

There are actually 3 items in that folder that point to 11_7_700_224. The one I removed had the red and white "F" icon and the Type was Application. Then I rescanned with psi and it still showed the same thing. So I went into the trash and put this file back.

There are also 2 system-type files for this 11_7_700_224. One is Flash32_11_7_700_224.ocx and the type is ActiveX Control. I tried deleting this one and it will not let me; tells me I need permission.

The other is FlashUtil32_11_7_700_224_ActiveXdll and the type is Application Extension.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 13th Jul, 2013 22:38
They all look like all files that require purging. A clean install will fix it.

UPDATING THE STANDALONE ADOBE FLASH PLAYER

1. Download & SAVE this to desktop.

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

2. The installer will appear on the desk top. THE IMPORTANT BIT - Before agreeing to install Flash check these programmes are completely shut down (use the Task Manager if necessary (CTRL+SHIFT+ESC) to COMPLETELY EXIT these processes if running)):
a. All Browsers.
b. Windows Messenger.
c. Incredimail.
d. All Adobe Products.
e. PSI - Unless using version 2 or version 3
f. Microsoft Skype & Plus! For Skype
g. Microsoft Money

3. Activate the desktop install which will then remove all old files during the update process.
Untick (uncheck) any additional offerings bundled with the download if they are not required

4. Complete a full PSI rescan & all should be in order.

Optional - Go to Start>Control Panel>click the Flash Player (32 Bit) icon>check the settings are to your requirements.

Last Reviewed 21:30 13/07/2013

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 14th Jul, 2013 00:13
Last edited on 14th Jul, 2013 00:14
I can't run the update. I run into the same problem mentioned in my first post -- getting the window with "Host" in the upper left corner and then the message "Unable to load application configuration."
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 14th Jul, 2013 00:47
Last edited on 14th Jul, 2013 00:49
Open Windows Explorer & tell me or publish a screenshot of what files you can see here:

C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash

EDIT: I assume you are not using Windows 8.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 14th Jul, 2013 02:04
I'm using Vista. And I think I have my flash problem taken care of but something strange is going. I went into Safe Mode with Networking and I got the flash uninstalled and then reinstalled and my Secunia psi scan is okay now.

I haven't been able to tell you about it because I haven't been able to get into this post so I could reply. Firefox keeps freezing up and I didn't think IE was going to let me get in so I could reply either, but it finally connected.

Why can I not sign in with Chrome, which is my default browser?

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 14th Jul, 2013 02:39
I just sent you a personal email from my Windows Mail account because I didn't know how else to reach you. I could not get logged into Secunia in either Firefox or IE. I seem to be able to log into other sites, but not Secunia forum. In Firefox it locks me up right away. In IE it gives me a window that says "Wait" in the center and then goes no further.

I have been using LastPass to login, but I tried just going to www.secunia.com/forum and then signing in manually and this time, again, I was able to sign in. I just wish I knew if this was a Secunia problem, or something between Secunia and LastPass that isn't working.

I'm at a loss.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 14th Jul, 2013 10:07
That makes sense. The Secunia server has been "on a wobbly" for days.

Got your email - I will do some more tests for you to confirm it is the server causing the issue you describe.

I will respond by email so I suggest you lock this thread to prevent any tag on posts.

For other users reading this thread - the Secunia server has been "throwing wobblies" for the last 72 hours in that it has an inconsistent connection causing long delays in reaching their site/navigating within the Forum & to some extent PSI/SMB performance whatever browser is in use. At other times it appears to work normally. Secunia are trying to fix it.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 14th Jul, 2013 23:42
I was finally able to get into this again just now. See the new post I just made about not being able to sign in and reinstalling Firefox. What a lot of unnecessary work. Wow!

I even scheduled a malware removal session with a trusted source because I thought maybe I had been struck down by some weird hijacker.

You said to close this so I will do so.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.