Forum Thread: Opera 12.x input regarding advisory SA54514 and EOL

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Opera Software
And, this specific program:
Opera 12.x

This thread has been marked as resolved.
Mike406 Opera 12.x input regarding advisory SA54514 and EOL
Member 30th Aug, 2013 05:26
Ranking: 1
User Since: 27th Aug, 2009
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 30th Aug, 2013 05:29

I am referring to this recent advisory for Opera versions 15 and under: https://secunia.com/advisories/54514/

Secunia is telling me that this advisory is effecting Opera 12.16 on my machine due to a "bundled vulnerable version of Chromium". This advisory should not apply as Opera 12 does not use Chromium.

Additionally, Opera 12.16 should not be marked as an End Of Life program. The Opera team has stated that they will continue to support Opera 12 with security patches until users will be notified to upgrade officially. I quote a post from their official blog: "We have neither asked nor forced our 12.x users to upgrade to Opera 15, as we know that some features that are important to you are still to come...You can expect that we will keep Opera 12.x up to date and secure. In the future, once we are comfortable with the feature set, we may ask you to upgrade."

You may view the source blog post here: http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2013/07/02/op...

Yes this blog post is a bit dated, but to my knowledge still applies as Opera 12 users have not received such an alert to upgrade. Many users of Opera do not wish to upgrade to the new Opera as it is missing a lot of popular functionality from Opera 12. The End Of Life advisory should be modified to reflect this until Opera 12 is officially declared as no longer being supported by the Opera Team.

Thank you for reading,
Mike

Post "RE: Opera 12.x input regarding advisory SA54514 and EOL" has been selected as an answer.
This user no longer exists RE: Opera 12.x input regarding advisory SA54514 and EOL
Secunia Official 30th Aug, 2013 12:25
Thank you very much for the information. We have now updated our version rules for Opera 12.x and it is no longer detected as end-of-life. The patched version of Opera 12.x is currently 12.15. The newer 12.16 is not a patch so the PSI will not ask you to install this version.
WolvenSpectre RE: Opera 12.x input regarding advisory SA54514 and EOL
Member 30th Aug, 2013 21:49
Score: 0
User Since: 30th Aug 2013
I was redirected to this thread (funny it didn't show up in search considering 1/3 of the title was my search terms)

I have Opera 12.16 installed, originally from an automatic update from Opera ASA and then I had to do a repair install from the installer for 12.16 to get a favourite extension to work.

Yesterday I got a EOL notice on Opera 15 (which didn't delete properly during the Opera 16 install update) and that my install of 12.16 was EOL. I had it rescan it repeatedly and it still showed up EOL.

I then tried a full scan and now it accepts it.

Maybe a problem with the individual scan?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Mike406 RE: Opera 12.x input regarding advisory SA54514 and EOL
Member 30th Aug, 2013 23:37
Score: 1
User Since: 27th Aug 2009
on 30th Aug, 2013 12:25, wrote:
Thank you very much for the information. We have now updated our version rules for Opera 12.x and it is no longer detected as end-of-life. The patched version of Opera 12.x is currently 12.15. The newer 12.16 is not a patch so the PSI will not ask you to install this version.

Thank you for the prompt response and update. :)

on 30th Aug, 2013 21:49, WolvenSpectre wrote:
I was redirected to this thread (funny it didn't show up in search considering 1/3 of the title was my search terms)

I have Opera 12.16 installed, originally from an automatic update from Opera ASA and then I had to do a repair install from the installer for 12.16 to get a favourite extension to work.

Yesterday I got a EOL notice on Opera 15 (which didn't delete properly during the Opera 16 install update) and that my install of 12.16 was EOL. I had it rescan it repeatedly and it still showed up EOL.

I then tried a full scan and now it accepts it.

Maybe a problem with the individual scan?

Individual scan on Opera 12.16 worked for me. Perhaps there was some issue getting the latest search rules. I ran my scan on PSI 2.0.0.4003
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.