Forum Thread: PsiService (32bit) is not Secunia

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
GeorgeButel PsiService (32bit) is not Secunia
Member 31st Aug, 2013 09:24
Ranking: 4
User Since: 29th Aug, 2010
System Score: N/A
I noticed "PsiService PsiService (32 bit}" running as a process in Task Mgr after uninstalling PSI (I've installed/uninstalled it a dozen or two times, at least) and, without thinking, headed for the registry to see what "Psi" entries might be there. Someone with a mind would have checked out the process PsiService first, but I was in a hurry and jumped to the conclusion that no one else could possibly have a "Psi" process, so I decided to delete a few reg entries. Thereafter, a Corel program, VideoStudio Pro X5, stopped working, telling me that it had not been installed properly. How dare a program tell me that I had not installed it properly! Only later did my mind start functioning, and I found out that that particular process belongs to a company called Protexis, and is used for licensing of Corel and some other software.

I'm thinking that you ought to warn users that, if they have a PsiService running, it isn't Secunia's, not that anyone else would be likely to perform the same idiocy I did--but it could happen.

This user no longer exists RE: PsiService (32bit) is not Secunia
Secunia Official 2nd Sep, 2013 10:03
LeendertKip PsiService (32bit) is not Secunia
Member 2nd Sep, 2013 13:50
Score: 35
User Since: 13th Feb 2010
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 2nd Sep, 2013 13:52
@GeorgButel: I have a process running which looks like yours: PSI_SVC 2. According info from Google this is related to Protexis Licensing V2. I have no process exactly as yours but via Google I see: 'part of copy protection software from Protexis'. Maybe this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+1

This thread has been marked as locked.