Forum Thread: Adobe Active X Flash Player update

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Adobe Systems
And, this specific program:
Adobe Flash Player 11.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
Mynah Bird Adobe Active X Flash Player update
Member 13th Sep, 2013 20:11
Ranking: 8
User Since: 26th Apr, 2012
System Score: N/A
The latest Active X Flash Player update didn't show on Wednesday, showed up yesterday, and has gone missing again today after my latest scan. What gives? I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit.

Maurice Joyce RE: Adobe Active X Flash Player update
Handling Contributor 13th Sep, 2013 21:20
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Are you referring to the main results window after a scan?

If so I have just done yet another scan on this PC & it is showing correctly.

I also looked at all my Endpoints on my Small Business Console & they too are displayed correctly.

Another full rescan might help.

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Mynah Bird RE: Adobe Active X Flash Player update
Member 14th Sep, 2013 00:16
Score: 8
User Since: 26th Apr 2012
I just rescanned and the scan results still show only the plug-in version of the Flash Player and not the Active X version . I'm using Version 2.0.0.4003 of Secunia, but that shouldn't make a difference.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 14th Sep, 2013 00:33
Last edited on 14th Sep, 2013 00:36
I agree if we are talking about the main scan results page.

Edit: Have you physically checked that the meta data required actually exists in Windows Explorer?

This is what you should see:

https://1ncuig.bn1.livefilestore.com/y2pg8qbO4CAv3...

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 15th Sep, 2013 19:25
@Maurice--I don't know what you mean by meta data and won't click on the link you provided since I don't know what I'm looking for. The Active X version is still not showing up. I think it's possible that the problem with the Active X Flash Player not showing after my scan is that it's version 11.8.800.174 for IE10 whereas the plug-in version for Firefox is 11.8.800.168. This is the first time in a long time (if ever) that IE and Firefox have different versions of the Adobe Flash Player.

Meanwhile, since Adobe is now updating their products on Microsoft's Patch Tuesday, I'll check things out then. I also subscribe to Brian Krebs's RSS feed and he always mentions when Adobe updates all its products.

I appreciate your help and input, but I've reached the point where I'm not going to drive myself crazy any longer.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 15th Sep, 2013 20:43
Last edited on 15th Sep, 2013 23:38
I fully understand the frustration but have noted that this issue has been raised before.

Why other browsers are not up to date with the latest flash version is an Adobe problem because as you have found it is available for IE here http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

The latest version of Flash is showing in PSI for IE10 for Windows 7 SP1 as can been seen here:

https://1ncuig.bn1.livefilestore.com/y2p5eGmHk8vJD...

Yours MAY not be displaying because the files are not correctly installed for Secunia to read & display. To clarify that a user must check the files are actually present.

To check if the proper files are installed on Windows 7 SP1 it is a simple task of:

Right Click on the Start Orb>Open Windows Explorer>C>Program Files x86)>Windows>SysWOW64>Macromed>Click on Flash

That will expose the files & I have highlighted the meta data that Secunia reads:

https://1ncuig.bn1.livefilestore.com/y2pSKmFzAbYow...

If that file is not present on your PC it will not show in the scan results.

I am not to sure I fully understand what you mean regarding IE10 so will clarify.

IE10 on Windows 8 is managed & updated by Microsoft. Currently that remains at the old version issued on Microsoft "Patch Tuesday".

IE10 on Windows 7 SP1 is not managed by Microsoft & users must update by what ever method they choose.

Hope this helps.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 16th Sep, 2013 21:16
Maurice--I checked your links yesterday in your previous reply and my computer agreed exactly with what your link showed. Today I clicked on both links in your most recent response and one came up garbage and the other asked me to log in with my Microsoft ID. When I tried to use the link from your earlier email this morning, it came up with a mish-mash of nothing.

I've rescanned this morning and still no Active X Flash Player showing. Also, I probably didn't explain myself very well, but I do know that Windows 8 updates IE 10 and the flash player automatically, but on Windows 7 using IE10, the update has to be done manually.

There's probably a glitch somewhere preventing the Active X Flash Player from showing (although it did briefly the day after patch Tuesday), but whether it's on my end or on Secunia's is the great unknown. Meanwhile life is too short for me to deal with this any longer. Feel free to lock the thread if you want to.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.