Forum Thread: Secunia PSI gray icon and locked in loading

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
skobola Secunia PSI gray icon and locked in loading
Member 19th Sep, 2013 18:16
Ranking: 0
User Since: 24th Apr, 2010
System Score: N/A

--
skobola

LeendertKip Secunia PSI gray icon and locked in loading
Member 19th Sep, 2013 18:29
Score: 35
User Since: 13th Feb 2010
This is caused by server issues at Secunia. Uninstalling/installing doesn't solve the problem and is wasting time. Just wait till the problems are solved. You have to be patient because this is going on for a week or longer
Was this reply relevant?
+0
skobola RE: Secunia PSI gray icon and locked in loading
Member 19th Sep, 2013 18:43
Score: 0
User Since: 24th Apr 2010
Oh, I would never ever thought of this. Thanks, now I feel better. BTW, how do you know about this? Regards.

--
skobola
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Sep, 2013 18:56
How I know this? Just by experience and using PSI since 4 years. Especially this afternoon it went worse. My PSI is gray now for more then 4 hours. Be patient and wait!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
larryc43230 RE: Secunia PSI gray icon and locked in loading
Member 19th Sep, 2013 19:01
Score: 1
User Since: 4th Dec 2008
My copy of PSI is also stuck in the "Loading" stage, and has been pretty much all day today.

The window is still open, though it's just sitting there at this point "loading". If I just close the window, will PSI magically log back in when the server issues have been resolved, or do I have to keep launching the program and see if it connects? Or, even worse, do I have to reboot the PC to force PSI to reconnect?

--Larry
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Sep, 2013 19:10
Hi Larry, as I wrote before, uninstalling/installing or rebooting doesn't help and is wasting time. Just be patient and wait till the siruation improves. You will see too that the forum website is very slow too.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
SMStallings RE: Secunia PSI gray icon and locked in loading
Member 19th Sep, 2013 20:44
User Since: 12th Jun 2008
@LeendertKip

Is there someplace online that indicates the current and historic status of the Secunia services?

If not, how to I communicate a request to Secunia that such a resource be provided?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Sep, 2013 20:59
I'll second the request in the previous post. How will I, or anyone, know when the situation has been resolved? Is there a background process on my PC that keeps checking the status of the servers, or do I have to launch PSI once an hour/once every six hours/once a day/once a week until it finally connects?

--Larry
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Sep, 2013 21:48
Hi, there are no options to check status of the servers. So we don't know how long it takes for Secunia to solve the problems. Secunia support staff is active in the forum but up to now didn't give any info about the server problems. I don't think that will happen. So be patient and wait till the problems are solved.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Phreedom RE: Secunia PSI gray icon and locked in loading
Member 19th Sep, 2013 21:57
Score: 5
User Since: 21st Jul 2012
Log on to: http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/ and type in Secunia.com (or any net address) to find out if it is down.

I did 1/2 hour ago and it showed Secunia as down.

Just did again and it shows the Secunia is now back up.

--
The more Secure we are... the less Freedom we have
Was this reply relevant?
+3
kls490 RE: Secunia PSI gray icon and locked in loading
Member 19th Sep, 2013 22:01
User Since: 20th Jun 2013
Last edited on 19th Sep, 2013 22:03
Greetings all,

Just to add that my own Secunia PSI icon has been gray for two days now. The last time this occurred, it seemed to take a while before the tech staff got around to fixing the issues.
[EDIT]: The icon has turned red, but just keeps loading & never stops.

My comments here are "mild"...compared to what I am seeing posted in some larger, well-known/respected computer forums about Secunia.

Regards everyone.

--
PC
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Sep, 2013 22:40
I guess, in some crazy way, this is progress... After a PC reboot, the PSI icon once again is showing in the System Tray (it had disappeared earlier today). Now it's there, but it's red. When I hover the mouse over the icon, it tells me that, "All programs are up to date."

Well, that's clear as mud....

--Larry
Was this reply relevant?
+0
SMStallings RE: Secunia PSI gray icon and locked in loading
Member 19th Sep, 2013 23:02
User Since: 12th Jun 2008
Thanks Phreedom. I use a similar service, www.IsItDownRightNow.com.

However, earlier, secunia.com was up while SecuniaPSI was showing a gray icon. So, it's possible that the Secunia Website service is working while the PSI service is not; and the PSI service might not be be accessible by sites such as IsItDownRightNow.com.

What we really need is for Secunia to provide a status web page like many other online services do (for example: www.google.com/appsstatus). Such a page wouldn't be accessible if the Secunia Website service is down, but that too would provide evidence that the PSI service is down.

So, LeendertKip, do such suggestions get past you to Secunia?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 20th Sep, 2013 07:31
@SMStallings, I agree and second your suggestion. Secunia support is active in the forum and I hope it's picked up and result in a reply in the forum. Let's wait and see.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Secunia PSI gray icon and locked in loading
Secunia Official 20th Sep, 2013 09:55

Nikilet

RE: Secunia PSI gray icon and locked in loading
[+]
This reply has been deleted
Nikilet RE: Secunia PSI gray icon and locked in loading
Member 21st Sep, 2013 03:36
Score: 7
User Since: 15th Jul 2008
Last edited on 21st Sep, 2013 03:36
As to the comments to wait until Secunia has the problems fixed, this has all been going on for quite a long time. I think it's probably been at least a month since I first started having trouble and it has been ongoing ever since, off and on, but mostly on. My taskbar icon has been grayed out for 2 entire days until just this evening, it came back on and is red. I tried coming to the forum earlier today and finally the page timed out.

Now I'm waiting for this reply to go through and I don't think it's going to. Geez!

I was trying to open the program to see what needs updating since the icon is red. It won't open but when I hover over the icon it says all programs are up to date so it should be green.

I'm beginning to wonder if this is ever going to get straightened out.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
erwin_mi RE: Secunia PSI gray icon and locked in loading
Member 21st Sep, 2013 14:29
User Since: 15th Jul 2010
Here also Secunia PSI keeps loading and loading and loading... If this is really a server issue as stated by a Secunia Official in this thread, the least Secunia should do is post a BIG WARNING on the PSI home page on the website to make their customers aware of the issue. This is simple a matter of respect towards their customers...

My suggestion: Secunia should have a page on their website that keeps customers up to date regarding the live status of Secunia PSI (similar to for instance https://status.live.com/ ).

This way Secunia avoids customers losing a lot of time reinstalling PSI and also of course losing confidence in their product...

Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 21st Sep, 2013 14:53
@Phreedom, thanks, that's a usefull tool! To avoid typing in a long url the site recommends to simply use: isup.me
Was this reply relevant?
+0
popman RE: Secunia PSI gray icon and locked in loading
Member 21st Sep, 2013 20:32
User Since: 19th Nov 2010
I looked at the Secunia PSI Agent in Windows services using "Procexp" or "Process Hacker", and it was stalled. I re-started it and this allowed PSI to continue and complete its scan. At this point I could change options for startup and the display, and also stop and re-run PSI without any problems. Only thing I noticed different now is that the service is now shown as using a "Local Service" user account.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 21st Sep, 2013 21:20
Tried this on a second system with similar, but not identical results. It detected programs that needed updating, and appears to be working correctly.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 21st Sep, 2013 21:45
Found this in the Event Logs...

Log Name: System
Source: Service Control Manager
Date: 9/21/2013 1:37:26 PM
Event ID: 7000
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: PopLand
Description:
The PSI service failed to start due to the following error:
%%-2145452015
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 21st Sep, 2013 21:47
This PSI is just plain and simple -- MESSED UP from the word go. It's not functioning enough to have it most of the time. After all the stuff I reported in my post yesterday, I tried and tried to scan and it would finish and then tell me to perform a scan. Finally I got a pop up that Secunia encountered a problem and had to close down. It's been closed down ever since.

I really depended on and loved this program. But you can't depend on it anymore. Half the time you can't even make connection to it's site or forum to present a problem.

And as I said, this isn't anything new or short term. It's been going on for quite a while now. I'm beginning to wonder what's REALLY going on.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 22nd Sep, 2013 06:58
I'm checking back in again. I sat down this evening and decided to start PSI and see what happened. It started, it scanned, it even updated Firefox and then showed a green icon in the taskbar. A couple minutes later I got the Microsoft Windows pop up (AGAIN -- same as earlier today) telling me "Secunia PSI Agent stopped working and was closed."

What on earth has happened to this once stable program???
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 22nd Sep, 2013 07:25
Last edited on 22nd Sep, 2013 07:28
I was clicking around, reading, and somewhere I found a thread about this PSI problem where Maurice advised to reinstall using a link he gave. He said not to uninstall PSI but to allow the installer to do it. So far, that worked for me. Maybe it's short lived but right now PSI is functioning like it's supposed to. Thing is, I didn't keep track of what thread I was in. I'll see if I can find it.
---------------------------------------
OK - there's another post called "loading and loading and loading" submitted by gene1000 and that's where I got the link. I tried to copy it so will see if it will paste here.

RE: Secunia PSI loading...and loading.....and loading....and...

Try a reinstall using this link:

http://secunia.com/PSISetup.exe

Let the installer auto remove the old version before it reinstalls.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mikedorb RE: Secunia PSI gray icon and locked in loading
Member 22nd Sep, 2013 16:12
User Since: 22nd Sep 2013
I tried that using the link and it worked for me. Now the icon in my task bar is green which it should be. I had been having problems for three days. Dealing with a gray icon and then the program wouldn't load. Then Friday I thought it got it fixed. I ran malwarebytes, it found some stuff and then to clean my computer I had to reboot it. The program still showed a gray icon but I played around with it a little bit and thought it got fixed when I got the icon to show as green. Then I rebooted my computer again yesterday and the gray icon returned. So I opened up the program and it took what seemed to be forever to load. But it eventually did and showed a 100% score. So I decided to do another scan and it took a while to complete but again it showed 100% but the icon still was still gray. Now today I used that link that would both reinstall and remove the one already on my computer and guess what it works. The icon is now green. But I am not yet convinced my problems are over. I am afraid when I reboot my computer again I might see the gray icon again and the message check your internet connection. I never really ever had any problems with this program before and I have had it for probably at least a couple of years now. I think I might have had a problem once before a while back and all I did was uninstall the program and then reinstall. And that worked. But when I tried that this time nothing happened. There has to be something going on on their end with the program with so many us having problems getting it to work properly.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 22nd Sep, 2013 23:06
on 22nd Sep, 2013 16:12, mikedorb wrote:
I tried that using the link and it worked for me. Now the icon in my task bar is green which it should be. I had been having problems for three days. Dealing with a gray icon and then the program wouldn't load. Then Friday I thought it got it fixed. I ran malwarebytes, it found some stuff and then to clean my computer I had to reboot it. The program still showed a gray icon but I played around with it a little bit and thought it got fixed when I got the icon to show as green. Then I rebooted my computer again yesterday and the gray icon returned. So I opened up the program and it took what seemed to be forever to load. But it eventually did and showed a 100% score. So I decided to do another scan and it took a while to complete but again it showed 100% but the icon still was still gray. Now today I used that link that would both reinstall and remove the one already on my computer and guess what it works. The icon is now green. But I am not yet convinced my problems are over. I am afraid when I reboot my computer again I might see the gray icon again and the message check your internet connection. I never really ever had any problems with this program before and I have had it for probably at least a couple of years now. I think I might have had a problem once before a while back and all I did was uninstall the program and then reinstall. And that worked. But when I tried that this time nothing happened. There has to be something going on on their end with the program with so many us having problems getting it to work properly.

I totally agree with you on this. This has been ongoing and it's not just one problem. It's a total array of problems, including not being able to log in to Secunia sites. All very strange ... I think.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
PaoloR RE: Secunia PSI gray icon and locked in loading
Member 23rd Sep, 2013 17:44
Score: -1
User Since: 22nd Jan 2009
Also on my PC, for several days, the icon of PSI is grey, even if my internet connection is active.
If I open PSI, remains for many minutes waiting ("LOADING") and then I have to close it because it doesn't come out from this phase.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mikedorb RE: Secunia PSI gray icon and locked in loading
Member 23rd Sep, 2013 18:16
User Since: 22nd Sep 2013
How long did you wait? I was ready to give up too and just close it out but I decided to just leave it open while doing other things on the computer. But it eventually loaded for me but I bet it took 30 minutes or so. All I know it it took a long time but I didn't keep track of exactly how long. Anyway once it loaded I saw my score but still the icon was gray so I decided to do a rescan. That took a while as well but I got it done and my score was still 100% but the icon remained gray. Then finally I went to this thread and saw the link someone posted that both reinstalled the program and removed the one already on the computer. And guess what. It worked. The icon immediately turned green. I had tried before coming to this thread just removing the program and after I did that just reinstall it again. But that did absolutely nothing. Have you tried using that link? If you haven't maybe it would be worth it to give it a shot to see if it will work for you.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

mikedorb

deleted
[+]
This reply has been deleted

This thread has been marked as locked.