Forum Thread: Daily download

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as resolved.
pierreisabelle Daily download
Member 27th Sep, 2013 23:52
Ranking: 0
User Since: 27th Sep, 2013
System Score: N/A
Psi.exe seems to initiate a daily download of 100-200 Mb on my PC, with currently 135 monitored programs. I'm guessing that this is to update the list of latest program versions. However, it seems quite large for that purpose. I couldn't find a definite explanation of what that download is, and why it is that big. BTW, turning off automatic update installation doesn't seem to have an effect.

Thanks for any info.

Post "RE: Daily download" has been selected as an answer.
Maurice Joyce RE: Daily download
Handling Contributor 28th Sep, 2013 00:10
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
What does the PSI log file tell you?

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
pierreisabelle RE: Daily download
Member 1st Oct, 2013 17:15
Score: 0
User Since: 27th Sep 2013
on 28th Sep, 2013 00:10, Maurice Joyce wrote:
What does the PSI log file tell you?

It tells me a lot and it doesn't tell me much. What am I looking for?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 1st Oct, 2013 18:37
Last edited on 2nd Oct, 2013 10:01
Proving by using the log file if Secunia PSI is downloading 100-200 MB of data. It should not be doing that.

What I have just done.

1. Completely closed down PSI.(CTRL+SHIFT+ESC)

2. Opened Windows Explorer & deleted the PSI log file(s).

3. Reactivated PSI via Start Orb>All Programs - once it completed the opening audit & opened the GUI I closed PSI to the Tasktray.

4. Reopened Windows Explorer & checked the new log file which is here:

https://1ncuig.bn1.livefilestore.com/y2pL2A89YYoxe...

That log files proves that the action I took in item 3. took 23 seconds. It is nigh impossible to download 100-200 MB of data in that space of time unless you have some super fast fibre optic connection.

5. I took another snapshot of the log 20 minutes later & there is no sign of PSI activity as can be seen here:

https://1ncuig.bn1.livefilestore.com/y2pUuRmc8MVx6...

If your results are different to mine it will be interesting to see the log file. As it stands PSI is not downloading anything like you describe.

6. The same can be said for any manual PSI scan. A full scan of 100+ items took 18 seconds. No sign in the log file of any download action merely what was checked on a match with the Secunia database.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+6
Member 3rd Oct, 2013 03:00
Maurice,

First, thanks for your input.

I tried to reproduce what you have done, and my "item 3" took 1 min 21.

However, no significant download occurred, like it does when I start my PC in the morning. Looking at the previous logfile, I see that PSI spent 3 min 5 starting up this morning. Looking more closely at that same file, I'm starting to suspect that PSI is downloading, every morning, data related to iTunes, ShockwavePlayer and AdobeFlashPlayer. True, Secunia has been telling me for some time (weeks, maybe) that some of these need an update (which I have tried unsuccessfully to do), but for Secunia to download the same update "stuff" every morning doesn't make sense to me. As I mentioned earlier, I had turned off the automatic update INSTALLATION, but there doesn't seem to be a way turn off the automatic update DOWNLOAD.

I'm thinking of trying one last time to update the four programs that Secunia is now telling me need it, and if this doesn't work, select "Ignore updates for this program" for all of them. (Not even sure that this last action would do it...)

Pierre
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 3rd Oct, 2013 09:27
Pierre,

If you are using a 64 Bit system I believe there is an unfixed bug whereby the turning off of auto updating does not work.

Try a manual update of those programmes. I would recommend this action for Adobe products:

UPDATING THE STANDALONE ADOBE FLASH PLAYER

THIS PROCEDURE SHOULD NOT BE USED WITH WINDOWS 8 USING IE10 OR IE11 PREVIEW - updating is managed via Windows Update

1. Download & SAVE these to desktop.

IE & Other Browsers using ActiveX.

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

& then here, if U have any other type of browser that does not have Flash embedded.

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/

Untick (uncheck) any additional offerings bundled with the download if they are not required

2. The installer will appear on the desk top. THE IMPORTANT BIT - Before agreeing to install Flash check these programmes are completely shut down (use the Task Manager if necessary (CTRL+SHIFT+ESC) to COMPLETELY EXIT these processes if running)):
a. All Browsers.
b. Windows Messenger.
c. Incredimail.
d. All Adobe Products.
e. PSI - Unless using version 2 or version 3
f. Microsoft Skype & Plus! For Skype
g. Microsoft Money

3. The new install will then remove all old files during the update process.

Optional - Go to Start>Control Panel>click the Flash Player (32 Bit) icon>check the settings are to your requirements.

ADOBE STANDALONE SHOCKWAVE

1. Download & SAVE this to desktop.

2. Shockwave Uninstaller for your OS from the clearly marked link on this web page:
http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/alternates...

3. Once again please ensure that anything is shut down as per updating Flash.

4. Activate the uninstaller.

5. If still required the latest Shockwave Player can be downloaded & installed from here:
http://get.adobe.com/shockwave/

ITunes

I do not use this product. If the programme has an updater link try that or the vendor site is here with the latest version:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Now run a full PSI scan - do you a 100% score rating?

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Member 9th Oct, 2013 04:06
Maurice,

As you recommended, I updated (outside of Secunia) the programs Secunia was saying needed it, and as a result, my "daily download" disappeared.

My conclusion is that if PSI finds programs it can't update automatically, it may download sizeable (in the hundreds of MB) and apparently useless "stuff" every day until the user manually updates said programs. An undesirable state of affairs, wouldn't you say?

Anyway, I've learned my lesson (do the manual updates ASAP).

Thanks for your help.

Pierre
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 9th Oct, 2013 09:35
Pierre,
Pleased to see you are all fixed up.

On that basis, I will lock this thread for U sometime tomorrow unless U post back asking for it to be left open.

This will protect your mail box from possible update emails from "tag on" posts

You can of course lock threads U have created. Just click the ACCEPT button in the post of the helper who offered U the best solution/advice to solve your problem.

Secunia Support can always reopen threads by applying by email to: support@secunia.com

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.