Forum Thread: "Start on boot" doesn't

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
Dangthrimble "Start on boot" doesn't
Member 10th Oct, 2013 23:17
Ranking: 1
User Since: 5th Jan, 2009
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 10th Oct, 2013 23:27

I have Secunia PSI 3.0.0.7011 installed on the C: drive of a Windows 7 SP1 x64 PC. "Start on boot" is ticked and on boot psia.exe (Secunia PSI Agent) is listed in the Windows Task Manager processes, but Secunia PSI does not appear in the Notification area of the Taskbar, even though "Always show all icons and notifications on the taskbar" is selected. Once PSI is started manually its icon does appear in the Notification area, and psi.exe (Secunia PSI) and psi_tray.exe (Secunia PSI Tray) are also listed in the Windows Task Manager processes.

I don't know if this might have a bearing on it, but I updated the following two registry settings on installing Win7 in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion:
"ProgramFilesDir" = "D:\Program Files"
"ProgramFilesDir (x86)" = "D:\Program Files (x86)"

This user no longer exists RE: "Start on boot" doesn't
Secunia Official 11th Oct, 2013 12:29
I have noticed on several versions of Windows how some tray icons occasionally do not show up. It seems to happen to all sorts of tray icons, so not specifically the PSI, and a simple reboot usually solves it. Have you tried to restart Windows? If that does not solve it, then please try a reinstall of the PSI.
Dangthrimble RE: "Start on boot" doesn't
Member 11th Oct, 2013 12:43
Score: 1
User Since: 5th Jan 2009
The problem persists over multiple reboots. Indeed, after installing PSI I do not recall ever seeing it in the tray unless I have started the application manually. I will try a reinstall.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 11th Oct, 2013 23:18
Uninstalled and rebooted the PC. Installled and rebooted the PC.Still no show with just the agent running.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 12th Oct, 2013 01:50
Opening"Systeem Configuration" and looking at the Startup tab, I discover that, though Secunia PSI Tray is ticked, it points to D:\Program Files (x86)\Secunia\PSI\psi_tray.exe even though PSI is installed on the C: drive and that folder on the D: drive does not exist. Could this be linked to my comment earlier about the registry settings?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 13th Oct, 2013 15:47
More information:

I uninstalled PSI, ran CCleaner and changed the regsitry settings in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion to:
"ProgramFilesDir" = "C:\Program Files"
"ProgramFilesDir (x86)" = "C:\Program Files (x86)"

I reinstalled PSI, ran it then rebooted the PC. Secunia PSI showed up in the tray.

I then changed the two registry settings back and rebooted. Secunia PSI was nowhere to be seen.

Why does Secunia PSI ignore those registry settings when installing (it gets installed to the C: drive regardless) but appear to consult them on startup?

I am running Win7 on a small SSD and prefer most programs to be installed on the D: drive, hence the registry changes. It is frustrating when programs ignore those setting, but even more so when they selectively choose to read them!

Any chance of a fix? There should be enough information there to be going on with.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: "Start on boot" doesn't
Secunia Official 14th Oct, 2013 09:48
PSI 3 is intended for less technical users and is deliberately made simpler than PSI 2. One of the adjustments is that in PSI 3 users no longer have to choose the installation path as it is always installed on the C-drive. However, we are considering changing this so that users can again choose the installation path.
In the meantime users with the need to install to other drives than the C-drive are welcome to use PSI 2 which is also supported and can be downloaded at this page:
http://secunia.com/products/consumer/PSI/sys_req/

As a general advice regarding the registry I recommend not to modify it in any way unless you are really sure of what you are doing and what consequences it may have to your system and your programs. As for this case, I cannot guarantee that the PSI will work on your system with the modifications you have made to your registry.
Member 14th Oct, 2013 12:02
I made the registry changes following advice on a number of web sites to help where space is limited on the C: drive, e.g. http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7... and http://www.intowindows.com/change-default-installa... both of which were linked to from "Sean's Windows 7 Install & Optimization Guide for SSDs & HDDs" (http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7...).

It is more than likely that others will also have read these articles and used the same registry changes to protect their C: drive, either because it is a small SSD or because their C: drive is just running out of space.

I would have less of a problem if PSI ignored these settings, but the fact it appears to ignore them for installation but use them when determining where to find the task bar executable would seem to indicate a problem within the code rather than my PC.

I'll stick with PSI 3 for now, run PSI manually and await the change that allows me to specify the installation directory (and possibly the fix for this problem).
Was this reply relevant?
+1

This thread has been marked as locked.