Forum Thread: Why is PSI 3.x such a complete failure for me?

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
Compumind Why is PSI 3.x such a complete failure for me?
Member 15th Oct, 2013 01:08
Ranking: 8
User Since: 2nd Feb, 2010
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 15th Oct, 2013 01:22

Hi everyone,

I am currently running PSI 2.x on XP (32 bit) and 7 (64 bit) - maybe not so flashy, but it works nicely and is much more configurable - and fast!

Not the same, unfortunately, for PSI 3.x - I think it is bloated and does not have any of the features (please correct me if I am wrong) that PSI 2.x has.

After clicking to run, the GUI takes more than 10 seconds to come up and I sometimes get script errors and very slow performance to the point that "the program has stopped responding."

Other times it works, but it is so extremely slow - really! Not at all like 2.x in terms of speed.

Do I need a special tool to clean out all of 2.x first? I know there are code trails ledt behind.

So, what's the deal? Am I the only one that does not like 3.x?

I tried 3.x when it came out and thought that all the bugs must be all worked out by now.
I am so wrong! Is there any hope?

If 3.x is so good than why am I still using 2.x and the 2.x D/L link is still on your website?

If someone from Secunia can respond that would be a major plus!

Thanks.

This user no longer exists RE: Why is PSI 3.x such a complete failure for me?
Secunia Official 15th Oct, 2013 09:27
PSI 3 is not necessarily better than PSI 2, but it is different and designed for a different audience. PSI 3 is intended for less technical users and is deliberately made simpler than PSI 2. So if you require the more advanced interface and features available in PSI 2, then that is the version designed for you.

As for the speed you can try out these steps in our FAQ and see if that makes any difference in PSI 3:
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...
It does seem however that the speed of the PSI varies a lot between different systems. In some cases PSI 3 might be faster than PSI 2 although I understand it is the other way around on your system.
In any case you seem to prefer PSI 2, so I will recommend that you stick with that version.
Compumind RE: Why is PSI 3.x such a complete failure for me?
Member 15th Oct, 2013 14:30
Score: 8
User Since: 2nd Feb 2010
Last edited on 15th Oct, 2013 14:31
Hello E.Jeppesen,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I had gone through all the steps provided in that link regarding PSI 3.x and everything is correct for the settings. I will stay with 2.x from now on, until a newer version is released that is ment for the power user, perhaps with a bit of GUI polishing.

Your reply is appreciated!

Compumind :)

P.S. Is there a removal tool for 2.x that erases all traces of the program?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Secunia Official 16th Oct, 2013 08:51
Last edited on 16th Oct, 2013 08:52

gjjean

RE: Why is PSI 3.x such a complete failure for me?
[+]
This reply has been minimised due to a negative Relevancy Score.
Compumind RE: Why is PSI 3.x such a complete failure for me?
Member 16th Oct, 2013 14:31
Score: 8
User Since: 2nd Feb 2010
Hi E.Jeppesen,

Regarding your above post concerning removal tools...

Actually, it is up to the programmer to create a robust uninstall capability, so as to remove all traces of the PSI program. I have used CCleaner and it does not pick up everything that you might hope for.

I'm not being negative, just realistic.

I have used uninstallers for programs that truly reach in to the internals and remove the traces left by their respective programs.

I think that 2.x needs a Power User makeover and a better Uninstaller should be part of it.

PSI 2.x is a fine program and I appreciate having it for free. Just needs a bit more work.

Best,

Compumind :)
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Secunia Official 16th Oct, 2013 14:58
Last edited on 16th Oct, 2013 15:00

This thread has been marked as locked.