Forum Thread: PSI suggests Win7 & IE11 Patches that are already installed!

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
trattner PSI suggests Win7 & IE11 Patches that are already installed!
Member 14th Mar, 2014 01:30
Ranking: 0
User Since: 19th Apr, 2013
System Score: N/A
Dear All,

This is a first (for me) and kind of odd: Secunia's PSI suggests I that three recent MS patches are missing (namely: KB2925418, KB2929961 & KB2930275), but ... not only are they there in Windows' Update history, and not only does Windows Update state that there are no further updates to be installed, but also, trying to install them one at a time after downloading their respective *.msu files, encounters an "update already installed" message!

Can anyone suggest what is going on here? Why would PSI point to missing updates when those updates are in place?!

Thanks in advance for a prompt & enlightening reply,

Sincerely,

Eric T.

Maurice Joyce RE: PSI suggests Win7 & IE11 Patches that are already installed!
Handling Contributor 14th Mar, 2014 09:48
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Eric,
Does this happen after a full PSI rescan?

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
trattner RE: PSI suggests Win7 & IE11 Patches that are already installed!
Member 14th Mar, 2014 10:01
Score: 0
User Since: 19th Apr 2013
Indeed Maurice - AFTER a full rescan ...

Thanks,

Eric
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 14th Mar, 2014 10:15
Have you tried using the Microsoft Baseline Analyzer to get a second opinion on whether they are installed correctly?

If you want to try this excellent tool the download link & details are here:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.as...

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 14th Mar, 2014 11:13
Maurice, thanks again for the prompt input.

Indeed, I did run MBSA 2.3 and all updates seem to be in place ...

Granted, this is an odd one!

Thanks,

Eric
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 14th Mar, 2014 11:41
Eric,

Agreed - Very odd because all mine are installed & showing correctly on Windows 7.

Although a "long shot" do you use the Windows Update Cleanup tool supplied by Microsoft?

It is the only cleaner I use & run it daily by schedule. It can be found here if you want to try it:

Start Orb>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Disk Clean Up.

Right click on Disk Clean Up & select Run As Administrator - click OK on the box that appears - after it scans you will see this:

https://1ncuig.bn1304.livefilestore.com/y2plUMKpZ6...

It has an extended list of options that includes Windows Update Clean Up.

I select all the options less Recycle Bin by default but worth looking at each one to confirm it will clean what you want. If you have not used this tool for some time the Windows Update Clean Up options may well find a large amount of dross so it could take some time to complete.

A reboot after the clean up plus a full PSI rescan MAY clear the issue.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 14th Mar, 2014 14:22
Hi Maurice,

Thanks for the tip.

I am aware of the CleanUp tool, but I am not using it most of the time. (it removes also files that I wish to preserve, mostly in the Temp. folder).

This being said however, I fail to see how running it in this case could be of any help: PSI complains about MISSING updates, and not about TOO MANY of those. Moreover, the internal logic of PSI assumes that everything is OK when confronted with two separate versions of the same software, one of which is up-to-date and the other not.

Kindly elaborate on this.

Actually, I believe that it would be interesting to find out which specific files / Registry entries PSI is looking for in as far as those three patches are concerned, and check if they are or not in place.

Notwithstanding, just a thought: can the three updates be removed and reinstalled?

Repeated thanks,

Eric
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 14th Mar, 2014 18:55
Eric,
Windows Clean Up Tool - I agree in that I stated it was a "long shot" & MAY be a cure.

The tool is multi-purpose in that you only select the item(s) you want cleaning.

PSI does not scan the Registry.

Is PSI not showing you what files it scanned? In the case of Internet Explorer (KB2925418) it should be showing you these:

https://1ncuig.bn1.livefilestore.com/y2plNQlVIVn7N...

What it scans can also be seen in the PSI Log file. If you want to check the files it would make things easier for you if a new one is created.

Right click on the Start Orb> Open Windows Explorer>Computer>C:\ Program Files (x86)>Secunia - expand Secunia to reveal PSI> click PSI & in the right hand pane you will see 1 possibility 2 log files - right click & delete them.

Now open PSI & run a scan - it will create a new log file & you will see exactly which files were checked on the scan.
You will note that many files were checked from the Win SxS folder hence my suggestion that using the Windows Update Cleaning tool MAY help.

You can indeed uninstall all of those updates as can be seen here:
https://1ncuig.bn1304.livefilestore.com/y2p4StSHDZ...

Hope this helps.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 14th Mar, 2014 23:46
Dear Maurice,

Thanks for the continued support :)

First & foremost: just to put aside possible misunderstandings - I am running PSI v. 2.0.0.4003 (sorry, but I find v. 3.x lacks much of the info & flexibility of its predecessor ...)
As such, your screen shots and mine might defer.
For whatever that is worth, the three updates did (as expected) appear under the Windows Updates List (could be removed, should I have chosen to do so).

Still, I opted first for checking the logs, and I proceeded (as you suggested) by removing (actually - renaming) the old logs.

Surprise, surprise: upon concluding the new scan, the three missing updates were no longer missing (a couple of Adobe Flash Player & Google's Chrome replaced them ...)

I updated the latter (Flash & Chrome), ran a new scan and ... everything was clean!

So I guess it was an issue of mistaken pointing on PSI's part (there WERE three items to be updated, only not the ones it suggested...; somehow, the replacement of the Log file did the cleaning).

Thanks again for your support,

Cordially,

Eric
Was this reply relevant?
+0
JRElliott RE: PSI suggests Win7 & IE11 Patches that are already installed!
Member 14th Mar, 2014 23:58
Score: -1
User Since: 14th Mar 2014
Lest you get the impression that Eric's situation is unique, let me report that I encountered the same problem - PSI 2.0 warned me that I am missing KB2925418, KB2930275 and KB2929961 all three of which Windows Update claims were applied on 12-Mar-2014. Mercifully, unlike Eric, a full scan cleared the erroneous report. I am now back to the status quo ante, namely, the only false complaint PSI is registering is the many year old Google Talk 1.0.0.104 end-of-life report.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.