Forum Thread: NPSWF32_13_0_0_214.dll file not on my computer

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Adobe Systems
And, this specific program:
Adobe Flash Player 13.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
Brussels NPSWF32_13_0_0_214.dll file not on my computer
Member 20th Jul, 2014 17:10
Ranking: 2
User Since: 6th Feb, 2011
System Score: N/A
Secunia PSI 2.0 said NPSWF32_13_0_0_214.dll is End of Life. So I updated Adobe Flash Player by clicking Install Solution. An install file went to my downloads folder. I double clicked to run it. It installed correclty.

Secunia still shows the program is EOL.

I right clicked to Open Folder and this folder opened:
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash

Inside the Flash folder I DO NOT see the NPSWF32_13_0_0_214.dll file.

I can see NPSWF32_14_0_0_145.dll

I rescanned numerous times and Secunia still shows NPSWF32_13_0_0_214.dll file.

What's going on? Is this a Secunia error?

WIN 7 64 bit

steffens RE: NPSWF32_13_0_0_214.dll file not on my computer
Member 21st Jul, 2014 01:30
Score: 53
User Since: 25th Jul 2009
FWIW, I always reboot after installing a Flash update, before I do a PSI rescan.

It seems to me that the Adobe installer leaves the old files around in some kind of limbo state in case they were being used at the time of the install, with the idea that those old files can be cleaned up more safely at the next reboot. Perhaps PSI can penetrate Adobe's invisibility cloak? (IIRC, that was why I adopted the "install, reboot, rescan" policy in the first place... false and misleading results.)
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 21st Jul, 2014 01:44
Another possibility just occurred to me... Flash has two variants... ActiveX (for IE) and NPAPI (for all other browsers, e.g. FireFox). Until recently, PSI reported those two variants as two separate entries in the scan report. Now it reports them as a single entry, with two components. Perhaps you haven't updated both Flash components, and the path you are clicking on leads to the updated variant, rather than the obsolete variant that PSI is complaining about. If so, then there should be a way to get PSI to disclose the path to the other, obsolete file. (Unfortunately, can't check... not on a Windows machine at the moment.) HTH...
-- EstherD
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Brussels RE: NPSWF32_13_0_0_214.dll file not on my computer
Member 21st Jul, 2014 20:21
Score: 2
User Since: 6th Feb 2011
Thanks for the tips.
I don't know how to update whatever the update missed. I just updated what Secunia said need updating.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 22nd Jul, 2014 01:49
If you've rebooted and rescanned and PSI is still showing the old file, then I'm not quite sure what to tell you.

The file you're having problems with is the NPAPI version of Flash.

Might help to know which version of PSI you're running. (I'm running PSI version 2. If you're running PSI version 3, then the help that I can give will be limited.)

Spouse is still at work, so I can play on the Win7 laptop. Hope some of the below info might be useful.

I have both the ActiveX and NPAPI versions of Flash installed. PSI2 does indeed show those as a single entry in the scan report, with two instances detected.

If I click the disclosure "+", then I see both instances, each with a separate path. (The path is the same for both, but the filenames differ.)

If I double-click the entry, then I get additional options, none of which seem helpful in your case.

If I click the "go to folder" icon, then I can see the actual files installed. Perhaps the file that's causing the problem is hidden?

If so, then in the absence of more knowledgeable advice, here's something you might try...
In Control Panels > Folder Options > View, enable Show Hidden Files. If that makes the problem file visible, then you should be able to delete it manually, and (hopefully) all will be well.

Another possibility...
1) Use Control Panels > Programs and Features to uninstall Flash completely.
2) Manually delete the Flash folder (in case there's some cruft left behind).
3) Reinstall Flash NPAPI from scratch.
4 ) Rescan, and all should be well.

(I'd probably throw in a few strategically placed reboots, just to be safe, but I'm a "belt and suspenders" kind of sysadmin.)
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 22nd Jul, 2014 20:54
Hi,

I'm using Secunia PSI 2.0. I have rebooted a couple of times. I do have show hidden files turned on.

Uninstalling Flash sounds like a good possibility. However, I don't know where to get it from again.

Thanks
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 22nd Jul, 2014 21:22
Best place to get Flash installers is here:
https://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/distrib...
because you can avoid all the cruft that is usually bundled into the installer if you get it here:
https://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer/

(You can ignore the boilerplate about having a "Distribution License Agreement" on file with Adobe, according to a number of respected security experts, e.g. Brian Krebs. However, if that makes you uncomfortable, then use the second link, but do monitor the installer carefully to avoid loading something "extra" that you may not want.)

Make sure that you choose the version you need for your browser: ActiveX version if you're using Internet Explorer and/or NPAPI (plugin) version if you're using any other browser (e.g. Firefox). If you regularly use IE and another browser, then you will need to install BOTH versions of Flash.

Note: If you use Chrome exclusively, then you don't need either one, since Chrome includes its own version ("PepperFlash") and updates that automatically. (PSI apparently doesn't report the status of Chrome's version of Flash, although I've never understood why not.)
Was this reply relevant?
+0
henry8th RE: NPSWF32_13_0_0_214.dll file not on my computer
Member 22nd Jul, 2014 21:40
Score: 15
User Since: 23rd May 2013
I had issues with adobe flash player playing nicely with Firefox years ago and had to do many uninstalls and installs.
To completely uninstall flash player from your system do a search for "adobe flash player uninstaller" and you will see the web site " helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-pl ayer-windows.html" Follow the instructions and Adobe Flash Player will be completely uninstalled from your system.
You can reinstall as discussed in other posts.

--
Mister P
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 22nd Jul, 2014 21:50
That's a great suggestion about using Adobe's Flash uninstaller. I had forgotten about that, so thanks for the reminder. Have used it myself on occasion. Works well. Might be exactly what is needed in this case.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: NPSWF32_13_0_0_214.dll file not on my computer
Expert Contributor 22nd Jul, 2014 23:17
Score: 2542
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 22nd Jul, 2014 23:39
Hi ,

For information , some time ago , Secunia decided - rightly or wrongly - to stop reporting vulnerable software embedded in third party programmes . This started around the time/when Adobe Flash could not (easily) be updated within such software and/or there was no patch yet available ; this was offset slightly by the "Secure Browsing" module in the PSI 2.x which was/is hidden from the average user . As Maurice has pointed out elsewhere this causes problems in the PSI display when say Flash is vulnerable with no patch and is displayed as up to date and you think you are 100% safe if you are using version 3.x of the PSI . The only thing 100% sure is Death and Taxes .

Following this logic , Secunia also no longer asset track and so do not display in the PSI Flash where it is "managed" by third party software ; so on my W8.1.1 64bit , the PSI does not follow or display in the "Scan Results" module the ActiveX install in IE 10 or 11 as this is managed via Windows Update ; similarly it does not track the PPAPI install in Google Chrome Stable version managed by Google Update , so only the PPAPI plug-in in say Mozilla Firefox is displayed .

EDIT: Qualys browser check will display your Flash install version and status in all three

Of course , just to confuse things (slightly) all the Browsers in the "Safe Browsing" module show their Flash install , tho' Chrome seems to refer the NPAPI access rather than the PPAPI install .

EDIT 2 :Actually writing that made me think again and on rechecking I note that the Flash reference in "Secure Browsing" is a bug ; all browsers refer to the NPAPI plug-in .dll file so the non-tracking is complete .

As for the old NPAPI file , it would seem that the PSI is pointing to the correct SysWOW folder but you could check the C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash folder to see if there is an old file lurking there causing confusion .

If you do uninstall , reboot and run a full PSI scan before you reinstall . Also if you go to the Adobe website in say Firefox you will be offered the NPAPI plug-in and ActiveX in IE ; you then need to select the download for your other browser or (more long winded) you can change browsers .

Hope that is helpful .

Take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 24th Jul, 2014 17:33
Thanks for all the info everyone. Looks like I'll have some cleaning up do to. So glad to know the right order and where to get flash again.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 24th Jul, 2014 17:33
Last edited on 24th Jul, 2014 17:34
duplicate post deleted
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.