Forum Thread: Firefox update V31 is not shown in Secunia, it still shows V30 bu...

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Mozilla Foundation
And, this specific program:
Mozilla Firefox 31.x

This thread has been marked as resolved.
blake707 Firefox update V31 is not shown in Secunia, it still shows V30 but picks it as out-of-date
Member 27th Jul, 2014 10:59
Ranking: 3
User Since: 20th Jan, 2013
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 27th Jul, 2014 11:02

After updating Firexox V30 to V31 Secunia still shows V 30 is installed. I checked Firefox, I have ver 31 installed, but it seems there is a backup also in existence. See log below.

---START---

Program Name:
Mozilla Firefox 30.x

Security State:
End-of-Life

Download Link:
http://dl.secunia.com/SPS/Firefox_31.0-24.7.0esr_e...

Instances Found:
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox.bak\firefox.exe, version: 30.0.0.5269

Last System Scan (localtime):
27. Jul 2014, 15:04

Operating System:
Microsoft Windows 7, Microsoft Windows 7

---END---
It seems people also had similar problem updating from ver 29 to 30

Cheers Peter

Post "RE: Firefox update V31 is not shown in Secunia, it still shows V30 but picks it as out-of-date" has been selected as an answer.
Maurice Joyce RE: Firefox update V31 is not shown in Secunia, it still shows V30 but picks it as out-of-date
Handling Contributor 27th Jul, 2014 11:13
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Peter

1. Open PSI>Scan results.

2. Against the programme marked as vulnerable is a + sign to the left of it.

3. Click that & it will reveal DETECTED INSTANCES.

4. Below that are two yellow folders. Click the one WITHOUT a red dot.

5. That will open Windows Explorer & U will be able to see the vulnerable file.
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox.bak\firefox.exe, version: 30.0.0.5269

6. Right click on that file & select delete.

7. Carry out a full PSI scan & all should be in order.

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Anthony Wells RE: Firefox update V31 is not shown in Secunia, it still shows V30 but picks it as out-of-date
Expert Contributor 27th Jul, 2014 17:14
Score: 2542
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hi ,

Just to add that these back up files left behind usually occur if/when the Secunia PSI installers are used .

I personally never let the PSI update my browsers but use the vendor's auto/silent updaters for Mozilla Firefox , Google Chrome and Windows update for IE 11 (32 and 64 bit) . This is best practice and much less hassle .

Hope that is helpful .

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
blake707 RE: Firefox update V31 is not shown in Secunia, it still shows V30 but picks it as out-of-date
Member 27th Jul, 2014 23:26
Score: 3
User Since: 20th Jan 2013
Last edited on 27th Jul, 2014 23:27
Hi Maurice and Anthony,

Thank your for both of your replies. I followed the advice and now it shows green again.

I was wondering should I delete the whole Firefox backup folder as well?

Cheers Peter
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Firefox update V31 is not shown in Secunia, it still shows V30 but picks it as out-of-date
Expert Contributor 28th Jul, 2014 11:50
Last edited on 28th Jul, 2014 11:55
Peter ,

bak files are "back up" files and not usually accessible to the bad guys you might meet when surfing !! :) You have got rid of the .exe file which was (correctly) triggering the PSI , so that is good ..

A full description of .bak files can be found here on this useful and reputable site :-

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/442656/ca...

EDIT: Sorry , just noticed that it's an XP link but the basis remains true for your W7 .

Hope that is clear enuff' , if not ask again .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
blake707 RE: Firefox update V31 is not shown in Secunia, it still shows V30 but picks it as out-of-date
Member 28th Jul, 2014 23:51
Many thanks Anthony! I take your point, but still wondering - what would be the purpose of keeping the folder with all the info, files etc. in it without the exec file? Wouldn't be more sensible to delete it all?

Cheers Peter
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 29th Jul, 2014 00:29

Peter ,

Backing up your system and the files you cannot afford to lose or are not replaceable is rule number one in happy computing : eg : treasured family photos . It is also rules 2 and 3 :ie : back up your back up .

Mozilla Firefox is not critical to your system and is easily (re) installed but if you lost the current version and you had some special configurations or were doing some Dev work then a back up copy might be useful . Google do this with each of their browser up dates leaving the previous version installed and often the marked "old" .exe version ; of course that also triggers the PSI when the platform changes .

I do not use the PSI SPS installer for Firefox and so don't get the .bak files , I do make a back up of my treasures and try to keep one extra copy away from my PC .

If you know how you have Ff configured then you have no need of the .bak files as your system is not dependent on Ff . In the old days of limited storage space lots of "extra" files could build up and inhibit your computer usage ; modern HDD's have largely negated that problem . Removing clutter with "good housekeeping" is fine but I would caution against third party programmes which claim to speed up your machine especially those which go into your registry .

So how are we doing . Late here for me so will check back tomorrow .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 29th Jul, 2014 06:59
Hi Anthony,

I have another Notepad at home, turned it on and before Secunia had a chance, I updated Firefox to V 31. I checked, and indeed you are right, no backup folder was created. So if this is the case, I will now delete the current Mozilla Firefox bak folder (54Mb) and hope all will be well. I keep it for a while in the Recycle Bin (just to be doubly sure-:)

Cheers Peter
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 30th Jul, 2014 13:49

OK , Peter .

Looks like you have everything fully covered .

Take care

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1

This thread has been marked as locked.