Forum Thread: Secunia is showing no Internet connection

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as resolved.
Nikilet Secunia is showing no Internet connection
Member 11th Sep, 2014 03:59
Ranking: 7
User Since: 15th Jul, 2008
System Score: N/A
There is another link but many have posted there and no response, so I decided to start a new link and maybe I can get someone's attention.

Secunia tray icon shows grey, but I have Internet connection.

This has happened since the newest round of Windows Updates which installed on my computer this evening. I was fine before that. The other link (grey tray icon) posters seem to indicate the same thing -- that this has happened since the updates.

Does anyone out there know what is going on with this?

Post "RE: Secunia is showing no Internet connection" has been selected as an answer.
rd52 RE: Secunia is showing no Internet connection
Member 11th Sep, 2014 04:57
Score: 21
User Since: 4th Dec 2008
Hi, I had started the other thread. I updated yesterday as soon as the MS updates were available, and Secunia worked fine all day after the updates. I don't think the updates are the problem. My computer is Windows 7/64 bit. Most that have posted on the thread I started seem to be in the US, I am in So Cal. I would imagine that it is a problem with Secunia's servers?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Nikilet RE: Secunia is showing no Internet connection
Member 11th Sep, 2014 05:17
Score: 7
User Since: 15th Jul 2008
So do you have service with PSI now? I don't.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
pyz01 RE: Secunia is showing no Internet connection
Member 11th Sep, 2014 07:50
Score: 0
User Since: 10th Sep 2014
Looks like it is a Win 8 issue. That appears to be the common item -- Win 7 appears to be OK - from what I can see from the posts.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
DieSpam RE: Secunia is showing no Internet connection
Member 11th Sep, 2014 15:26
Other thread started with the grey tray icon is...
http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/151...

I am running Secunia PSI 3.0.0.7009 on Win8.1/x64 as an Administrator of the system and have responded YES when the UAC popped up to confirm that Secunia PSI is able to make changes to the computer.
PSI will not progress past the splash screen with "LOADING..." in the lower left corner.
The System Tray icon will occasionally pop up with a notification that "Internet connection: please ensure that your internet connection is working properly".
Closing and restarting the app does not change anything.
I did not notice that the Secunia icon in the System Tray was greyed out after applying the updates and restarting the system or if that just occurred yesterday (WED, 10SEP).
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 11th Sep, 2014 15:55
No, as of this morning on boot, I don't. It is not just Win 8 problem, I am using Windows 7.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Stephen_the_Red RE: Secunia is showing no Internet connection
Member 11th Sep, 2014 15:56
User Since: 19th Jan 2008
Not just a Win8 issue. I'm running Win7 64-bit. Applied the MS patches yesterday - AFTER PSI was already showing the grey icon.

Am able to do everything else on the Internet, including more MS patches, Norton Internet Security updates, e-mail etc.

I even uninstalled and re-installed PSI 3.0.0.7009 from a clean download.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
kls490 RE: Secunia is showing no Internet connection
Member 11th Sep, 2014 16:05
Score: 1
User Since: 20th Jun 2013
For what it's worth...I've been experiencing the same issue as everyone else. PSI icon has been gray since before and after the MS updates.

Using WIN 7 Pro, x64.

Regards everyone.

--
PC
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Secunia is showing no Internet connection
Expert Contributor 11th Sep, 2014 16:11
Score: 2542
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Hi ,

I use W8.1.1 64 bit with the PSI 2.x and almost never have a problem ; that said , Tuesday's Windows patches included a large multiple update for IE 10 and 11 .

In the past , any "resetting" of IE has been known to cause problems , as this problem seems to a loading AND a grey link problem and is probably not a Secunia server problem , you might wish to recheck your internet settings for IE as per :-

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

I doubt very much that support will respond here , you can contact them direct at support@secunia.com and I guess that their first response will be the same as mine .

If it is JUST a grey link problem and the PSI loads normally , then I doubt anyone has a simple single response .

Hope that helps .

Take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 11th Sep, 2014 16:49
Last edited on 11th Sep, 2014 16:52
No change in status after applying the settings referred to in the FAQs...
1) Active Scripting was already enabled, so no change
2) Added https://*.secunia.com to the Trusted Sites list
After restarting my system (Win 8.1/x64), Secunia PSI 3.0.0.7009 is still grey in the System Tray and will not progress beyond the splash screen when attempting to open.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 11th Sep, 2014 17:06
on 11th Sep, 2014 16:49, DieSpam wrote:
No change in status after applying the settings referred to in the FAQs...
1) Active Scripting was already enabled, so no change
2) Added https://*.secunia.com to the Trusted Sites list
After restarting my system, Secunia PSI 3.0.0.7009 is still grey in the System tray and will not progress beyond the splash screen when attempting to open.

I did the same, everything on my machine was right except having to add Secunia to the Trusted Sites list. Re-booted with the same result, the same greyed out Secunia icon.

I have been using Secunia for a long time and had not had to mess with the settings to get it to work. When I started my initial post no one else had yet reported this problem, must say that I'm glad I'm not the only one! I don't see a place to inform Secunia of this problem, only support I found was for their paying customers, so the only place to 'inform' them is here in these forums? So I am asking, PLEASE Secunia FIX ME!!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 11th Sep, 2014 17:12
I e-mailed support -- support@secunia.com. Have not received a reply yet. However, if enough people e-mail them - maybe they will let us know how to fix this.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 11th Sep, 2014 17:13
I e-mailed support -- support@secunia.com. Have not received a reply yet. However, if enough people e-mail them - maybe they will let us know how to fix this.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 11th Sep, 2014 17:29
Just emailed Secunia support as well... hopefully, they will post a reply to this thread and provide some acknowledgment to the possible cause and resolution.

Secunia Support,
Good morning!
Two active threads on the PSI Forums are related to a problem with Secunia PSI 3.0.0.7009:
Behavior is as follows:
1) Secunia icon in the System Tray remaining greyed out
2) Secunia is not loading when opened... remains stuck on the splash screen
3) Secunia icon in the System Tray pops up with the notification "Internet connection: please ensure that your internet connection is working properly"
Secunia is running on a Windows 8.1/x64 system that was updated TUE, 09SEP as part of the Microsoft Patch Tuesday push.
First noticed the issue with Secunia on WED, 10SEP and found the threads mentioned above discussing the same issues and circumstances.
Already checked, verified and/or applied the system settings recommended in the FAQs for Active Scripting and Trusted Sites.
No need to email me back but would appreciate a posting in the Forums for guidance.
Very much appreciate this product and the info it provides in keeping my system safe at home.
Best regards,

DieSpam
Was this reply relevant?
+0
chuckm1 RE: Secunia is showing no Internet connection
Member 11th Sep, 2014 19:33
I have the same issue running Vista 64, stuck on splash screen. Sent e-mail to Secunia support rcvd mssg back that they only deal with corporate accounts, told me to go to this forum. Did not even acknowledge my problem. If someone can advise on how to contact Secunia support for PSI customers, please advise. PS: This problem started just after the MS updates.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 11th Sep, 2014 20:57
TO ALL:

I used another product to inspect and found out today that the latest version of Secunia is 3.00.9016

This is IMPORTANT -- I uninstalled the old version and reinstalled this new version and I am now working properly again AFTER all the MS Updated of 9/10.

PLEASE pass this along to all having the problem. Update to latest version and you should be OK.

Ken
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 11th Sep, 2014 22:02
Installing Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016 resolved the issue... ironic that PSI never told me it was out of date and a newer version was available! :-)
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 11th Sep, 2014 23:01
I was thinking the same thing ... That it's funny Secunia in no way advises of updates. Anyway, before I install the newest version, do I have to uninstall the old version or just install over it like most programs do?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 11th Sep, 2014 23:27
Installed the new version, didn't bother doing a un-install, the new version will do it automatically, and keep all your settings. Secunia is back to green.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 11th Sep, 2014 23:48
Just installed the new version and am back in business. Many thanks! I hope everyone having trouble finds this.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.