Forum Thread: Secunia, XP And Adobe Reader

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
troothteller Secunia, XP And Adobe Reader
Member 18th Sep, 2014 15:55
Ranking: 0
User Since: 10th Dec, 2010
System Score: N/A
Already dismayed with Microsoft for discontinuing XP support, enough to consider a Linux based OS, I just learned that Adobe quit supporting their products tha run on XP. In the case of Reader, which updated normally on my Windows 7 64-Bit, Adobe makes the patch available; but says to update at your own risk. Already, Secunia picks up XP as an end-of-life program, a problem I thought Secunia was going to alleviate. Now, it did not detect Adobe Reader on my XP as a vulnerability. The version of Secunia PSI I run is 1.5.0.2, a trim version I decided to run since there are less features on it to go wrong. I hoped Secunia would pick up the vulneability and through it allow me to install the update. Of course, there are alternatives to using Adobe Reader to open PDF's. This is odd because both Adobe AIR and Flash Player updated on my XP.

--
troothteller

rd52 RE: Secunia, XP And Adobe Reader
Member 20th Sep, 2014 00:15
Score: 21
User Since: 4th Dec 2008
since you are running XP I wouldn't use IE for surfing. I would use Chrome, it includes its own flash and has its own PDF reader. Chrome will be much more secure than the old version of IE that you are using.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
troothteller RE: Secunia, XP And Adobe Reader
Member 20th Sep, 2014 00:32
Score: 0
User Since: 10th Dec 2010
Last edited on 20th Sep, 2014 01:39
Thanks for the update. I am leaving IE on; but I now have Firefox. Chrome I remember I didn't like. For PDF's I have PDFLite, which I use for file conversions. My point is that Secunia should do a better job. It should not site XP as a vulnerability if we still want to use it. Likewise, it should have picked up Adobe Reader in need of updating.

After I posted the first paragraph, I went to my XP computer and Secunia was still in the System Tray. It picked up Adobe Reader as one of two insecure programs; it through Secunia Adobe Reader did not update. Neither by running the updater nor downloading directly to my computer would Adobe Reader update.

--
troothteller
Was this reply relevant?
+0
xyzzy RE: Secunia, XP And Adobe Reader
Member 21st Sep, 2014 16:03
Score:
User Since: 7th Mar 2008
on 20th Sep, 2014 00:32, troothteller wrote:
it should have picked up Adobe Reader in need of updating..

PSI reports Adobe Reader 9.35 as obsolete on my box as it should under Windows 7 and in a Windows 2000 VM -- I'm also using PSI 1.5. I just put this version in my "ignore" list, because I'm aware of the issue, but still unwilling to get a fresher Adobe Reader.

If you find a missing program simply suggest it. JRE example: I had a "patched for W2K" Java 6u81 also under Windows 7. PSI didn't list it, but found 6u81 for 64bits. I installed an ordinary JRE 6u81 for 32bits, and PSI found both versions, problem solved.

Flash Player example: PSI found the two Flash Player 13 (extended support release) variants for old IEs and other browsers, but missed the Flash Player 13 stand alone projector. I submitted it as missing, because Adobe managed to announce a security fix also for this SA 13.0.244 projector with a download link for the older (insecure) version.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 21st Sep, 2014 19:39
Secunia does not allow us to put Windows XP on an Ignore list as it does with other programs; otherwise I would have done it already. My concern is with that system on which I have Adobe Reader 11.0.08. Thanks for your suggestion. Right now, if Secunia does not have a solution, then I would uninstall Adobe Reader on that computer. Already, I designated PDFLite as the default PDF reader for my Windows XP.

--
troothteller
Was this reply relevant?
+0
omniplex RE: Secunia, XP And Adobe Reader
Member 23rd Sep, 2014 12:21
Score:
User Since: 21st Jan 2011
on 21st Sep, 2014 19:39, troothteller wrote:
I designated PDFLite as the default PDF reader for my Windows XP.
Thanks, I stick to 9.35 as long as it is only obsolete. They have an interesting page on PDF security here: http://secunia.com/vulnerability-review/pdf_securi...

JFTR, the 98% on my xyzzy account for Windows 2000 simply mean that I can't put W2K on the ignore list with PSI 1.5, so that's as it should be. But PSI and forum discussions here still got me to uninstall MSXML 4 everywhere ;-)
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 23rd Sep, 2014 17:20
Is 9.35 an older version of Adobe Reader? My default is made by Sumatra, and it is on the bottom of the list for the number of vulnerabilities. I may as well stick with it. Thanks.

--
troothteller
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.