Forum Thread: How does PSI gets its data from Secunia?

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
WOV748 How does PSI gets its data from Secunia?
Member 26th Oct, 2014 23:55
Ranking: 10
User Since: 29th Jun, 2012
System Score: N/A
Background to this question. I administer 7 PCs all running W7 (different flavours, both 64 and 32bit). On all of them PSI is running, till a week ago without problems. Since then on only ONE of them PSI gets stuck on the "Loading" screen even before it shows the bottom row of screen options. The process first consumes about 1% CPU power, after a couple of seconds this drops to 0 and stays there. The Tray icon is red (not grey) complaining that there are programs in need of a manual update, but PSI (obviously) does not come up with a list.

Now the FAQs mention the required internet settings (e.g. *.secunia.com as trusted sites and scripting enabled). However, these options obviously refer to the IE browser, and I'm using Firefox as default on ALL systems, both on all the "good" ones and the one problem machine.

Therefore my questions:
* Does PSI use a webbrowser to communicate with the secunia site?
* If so, is this IE, even where that is not the default?
* If the default is used, then what are the settings for Firefox?

By the way, I don't believe I have observed IE in the system process list when PSI is running.

I hope there may be a nuts and bolts expert perusing this forum, as secunia themselves seem to have lost all interest in PSI folk now they have CSI as their flagship product.

--
Willem Overbeeke

Anthony Wells RE: How does PSI gets its data from Secunia?
Expert Contributor 27th Oct, 2014 16:02
Score: 2542
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 27th Oct, 2014 16:12
Hi ,

Specifically :-

1)The PSI uses the embedded IE engine on your system to contact the Secunia server(s) . This is related to the need to show the Windows/M$ update status .

2)This happens whatever your default browser ; in the past temporarily (re)setting your IE browser as the default has helped diagnose "setting" problems .

3)Ff is my default - I never look to use IE directly ; the Ff settings are irrelevant to the PSI operation .

Your type of problem is currently being dealt with here , scroll down for a "solution" :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/151...

EDIT: not clear if my link is working , here it is again :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/151...

plus the solution :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/152...

Take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
ddmarshall RE: How does PSI gets its data from Secunia?
Dedicated Contributor 27th Oct, 2014 18:39
Score: 1250
User Since: 8th Nov 2008
It appears to be using the Windows Internet API ( http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/de...(v=vs.85).aspx ). This will mean it uses the same settings as Internet Explorer. You can see it accessing these Registry values with Process Monitor.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
WOV748 RE: How does PSI gets its data from Secunia?
Member 28th Oct, 2014 18:54
Score: 10
User Since: 29th Jun 2012
Thank you both very much for your inputs. Unfortunately, after verifying and adapting the internet options (scripting was OK and I added the secunia sites to the trusted list) the problem remains the same.

To Anthony: thank you very much for your link to a related thread and the solution proposed there. In fact, I had already tried that to no avail. I assume the best place to progress the matter is under the topic in question, rather than at this location, and I plan to do so.

Cheers!

--
Willem Overbeeke
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.