Forum Thread: MSXML 4 update sucess on Windows 8.1

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
henry8th MSXML 4 update sucess on Windows 8.1
Member 5th Nov, 2014 23:52
Ranking: 15
User Since: 23rd May, 2013
System Score: N/A
Hope this helps someone, as I have been helped many times by other forum members. After trying for weeks trying to update MSXML 4.0 SP3 4.30.2100.0 to 4.30.2117.0 on my sister's Windows 8.1 computer, I was finally successful. I used the link: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.as... , as suggested by member, ddmarshall. However, I could not get past the Windows Installer error message "error opening windows installation log file. Verify that the specified log file exists and is writable." Today, I tried to install again with the same error message and tried ddmarshall's suggestions. No luck. Finally, I thought to try the installation using "run as administrator". Success!!!!!!! The installation went smoothly.

I do have one question regarding this KB2758694(4.30.2117.0) security update. Can 4.30.2100.0 now be deleted or should that also stay on this computer?

From what I've read on the forums, apparently, her old HP Photosmart all in one requires this parser and got downloaded when setting up the printer on her new computer. HP probably won't update software on such an old printer to not use MSXML 4 and Microsoft is leaving it as EOL without support. I'll create a PSI ignore rule on her computer for now to show a 100% score and hope I'm finished with this mess for the time being.

Thanks all !!!

--
Mister P

No one has replied to this thread yet - be the first
This thread has been marked as locked.