Forum Thread: adobe Flash Player

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
peterrrr adobe Flash Player
Member 14th Nov, 2014 15:49
Ranking: 2
User Since: 5th Sep, 2010
System Score: N/A
Hello
Each week I scan with Secunia and each week it says flash player needs a manual update,.
If I wait a few days and scan again it runs 100%.

This has happened again and I don't know if I should purse the issue or wait to see if it fixes itself as before.

File location;
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\NPSWF32_15_0_0_ 189.dll.

Now = 15.0.0.189 NPAPI

Thank you

Anthony Wells RE: adobe Flash Player
Expert Contributor 14th Nov, 2014 17:50
Score: 2542
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hello ,

Your previous thread(s) indicate that you run windows 8.1 64 bit and use IE , Firefox and Chrome browsers :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/151...

If you check it you will see that your IE and Chrome will update Flash "automatically" for you and so are not tracked or displayed in/by the PSI .

The NPAPI plug-in you are seeing is for your Firefox browser and 15.0.0.223 (NPAPI) is the latest secure version . Version 15.0.0.189 is out of date and insecure .

Have you updated Flash for your Ff browser ?? You can do so here using your Ff browser :-

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Which version of the PSI are currently using ??

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
peterrrr RE: adobe Flash Player
Member 14th Nov, 2014 18:21
Score: 2
User Since: 5th Sep 2010
Last edited on 14th Nov, 2014 18:35
Apologies for not including standard information that you deduced correctly..
I am running PSI ver. 3.0.

I updated FF recently but when i went to see if it needed an update it updated again. I rebooted but Secunia still reported a manual update is necessary.

I clicked your link to update FF to no avail or at least I could not find any choices. They were all pertaining to MSIE.

I checked out the Flash player add-ons and one said it would force YouTube to play with FF.
I did not click it as I do not click what I am not sure of.

I am still getting a report that Flash Player requiters a manual update.

>>I am trying to send you the results of a link you gave me to resolve why Flash Player persists in updating manually.
I am Peter in the forum and have an active thread going but do not know how to get this page to you other than what I am doing.
I have Firefox open and have clicked on your link to update Firefox.
Peter

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

My attempt to send the link obviously failed.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 14th Nov, 2014 20:49

Peter ,

I have just checked your/my link and it works correctly . So , if you open the link using your IE browser you get to a webpage giving you the load of info concerning IE in Windows 8 and Flash Player ; if you spend a little time you will learn how IE uses Flash , but it is not essential reading .

If you use your Chrome browser to open the link , the page will tell you that Google take care of updating Flash in your browser .

To deal with your problem Flash NPAPI plug-in you must open the link using Firefox . If you are looking at the Secunia website and this thread using your IE browser and click the link in my/your post , you get the IE special page . If you open your Firefox browser and use the link there you will get to a download page specifically for Firefox : there is usually a "FREE" add-on offered which you probably do not want or need , so be sure to deselect this option . Follow the instructions and do your "manual" update of Flash ; be sure to close your Ff browser before you run the installer .

Next , rescan with the PSI and tell me the result .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 14th Nov, 2014 21:52
Last edited on 14th Nov, 2014 22:12
I was successful and thank you.
Could I copy your link as a shortcut to a folder so in the future I won't have to bother you again?
Would this same link help in case the same thing happens?
Regards
Peter
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 14th Nov, 2014 22:39

Hello again Peter ,

Pleased to hear that you got the problem licked . It is no problem at all to keep asking for help and advice when you are unsure of what you need to do ; we all learn all the time . Your "not clicking on unknown links" is one of the first rules of Internet Security and Safe Browsing ; not everybody knows that and even when they do , they still click away .

The link will be useful every time Flash NPAPI plug-in for Ff needs updating ; it is one I copied from the url address bar in my browser when I went to adobe.com , so it there for everybody : you can put it in your bookmarks or favourites or a specially created file , as you wish .

You might also find it useful to know that at the top the box at the left side of your every post you see your Secunia name :ie: Peterrr in blue ; this is also a link , so if you click on it it will open a Secunia page with a list of all your threads (and more) including this one and thus you can refer to what we said and did this time and in previous threads .

Hope that is useful .

Take care

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 15th Nov, 2014 13:27
Thank you, Anthony.
I have kept the link in a folder.
Appreciate your kind information
Peter