Forum Thread: Adobe Flash Player 15 and 16

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
pyz01 Adobe Flash Player 15 and 16
Member 15th Dec, 2014 15:43
Ranking: 0
User Since: 10th Sep, 2014
System Score: N/A
Secunia is hanging up on this update.

Secunia flags that the version 15 needs to be updated. Says it is updating but never does. I manually checked IE explorer add-ons and I have version 16.

This is a 64-bit machine with Windows 8.1. Secunia is having difficulty recognizing that the update has already occurred and flags. This is not correct.

I told the software to ignore updates to this program for now until this bug is fixed.

Ken

mtodorov RE: Adobe Flash Player 15 and 16
Member 15th Dec, 2014 16:26
Score: 19
User Since: 20th Mar 2009
hi pyz01,

I can confirm something is going on with Adobe Flash Plugin detection on equally (unsupported) WinXP i (allegedly supported) Win7.

With PSI 2.0.0.4003 Adobe Flash plugin simply isn't listed in "Scan Results" nor shown in "Secure Browsing" page.

The latter makes Firefox erroneously branded as "Safe for Browsing", because bare bones Firefox, latest JRE and QUickTime plugin have no known (or no published) vulns this far.

Rgdzs,
mtodorov

--
"If a task is worth doing, it is worth doing right. If it is not worth doing well, it is not worth doing." -- Dr. Jack Hyles
<><
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Adobe Flash Player 15 and 16
Expert Contributor 17th Dec, 2014 16:07
Score: 2542
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hello ,

By it's own rules : ie : the software is updated by the vendor , the PSI should not be tracking and so not displaying either the Flash ActiveX or the Google Pepper Flash on your W8.1 system ; only the PAPI plug-in should be recognised :eg: in Firefox .

After the last Flash update of version 15.x to 16.x ,my PSI 2.0.0.3003 started to display the ActiveX installion of 16.x for IE 11 on my W8.1 system .

After a full system rescan -just now - the ActiveX is no longer displayed .

Thrree points :-

1)The PSI SPS silent installer wraps are notoriously unreliable and the software's own internal updater or the website patches are always to be preferred . In your case , an SPS installer would seem to be unlikely to work anyway !!

2)Run a full rescan to see if that fixes your "bug" ; if it does not , post here your PSI version and the file path it is indicating for the 15.x version .

3)It it not good practice to 'ignore" a known vulnerability in software/programmes until you are clear about the PSI's detection and thereafter resolved the problem one way or another .

Let us know your progress .

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+3
pyz01 RE: Adobe Flash Player 15 and 16
Member 17th Dec, 2014 16:26
Score: 0
User Since: 10th Sep 2014
You are correct.

After researching, I found that it was the firefox version of flash player 15 that was causing the error. Detected this after looking at the date the version was installed on my computer. Deleted that version -- which was not needed since I do not have firefox, and the scan worked perfectly. Thanks for your assistance.

Ken
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Adobe Flash Player 15 and 16
Expert Contributor 17th Dec, 2014 17:08
Score: 2542
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hi Ken ,

Pleased to hear you are fixed .

The NPAPI plug-in is used by several other browsers as well as Firefox :eg: Safari . If you are ever prompted by a website to install Flash in any browser , DO NOT use their "unknown/unspecified" installer but go to the Adobe website using the browser which needs Flash and install from there .

Take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+3

This thread has been marked as locked.