Forum Thread: Adobe update for Windows XP

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
dunlappedover Adobe update for Windows XP
Member 15th Dec, 2014 21:14
Ranking: 0
User Since: 26th Nov, 2008
System Score: N/A
My Secunia PSI shows an update available for Adobe Reader XI. My current Adobe Reader version is 11.0.08, but it does not show any updates available. My OS is Windows XP (all updates). When I go to the Adobe web site to download the latest version, it only shows the same version I already have, 11.0.08..

I'm guessing my Windows XP operating system doesn't support newer versions of Adobe Reader. So, why can't PSI reflect this limitation? Or is there a way to update Adobe anyhow?

ddmarshall RE: Adobe update for Windows XP
Dedicated Contributor 15th Dec, 2014 22:21
Score: 1250
User Since: 8th Nov 2008
Last edited on 15th Dec, 2014 23:03
The Adobe Reader download page often does not reflect the latest release. You have to update manually by going to the Help menu in Adobe reader and selecting check for updates or Edit - Preferences to update automatically.

If that doesn't work try downloading the update from http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp...

I found that support for Windows XP was dropped in 11.0.9, so 11.0.8 is the last release to support XP.
http://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+3
dunlappedover RE: Adobe update for Windows XP
Member 16th Dec, 2014 16:23
Score: 0
User Since: 26th Nov 2008
Thank you, but as I stated, my current Adobe Reader version doesn't show an update available. And Adobe will show the latest version on my other computers. I'm pretty sure it's because Adobe doesn't support XP in versions after 11.0.08, as you state. So, you basically partially answered my question. But since the available update doesn't apply to XP, why can't Secunia include that awareness in their product. Which was the other part of my question. I guess I just block the notification?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
emcguy RE: Adobe update for Windows XP
Member 17th Dec, 2014 02:40
User Since: 12th Nov 2009
Well now that's interesting as i am also running XP with all updates. I have Adobe 11.0.9.29 and they say no update available. PSI says I need to update to 11.0.10.
By the way, if your score is 100 % how did you get PSI to ignore XP? Everything I've tried doesn't work.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
dunlappedover RE: Adobe update for Windows XP
Member 17th Dec, 2014 14:30
User Since: 26th Nov 2008
Interesting. What version of XP do you have? Mine is XP Professional.

On a whim, I just Googled 'Adobe Reader 11.0.10' and got the download page for that version on Adobe's web site, successfully downloaded and installed it, re-scanned with Secunia PSI (version 2 BTW, I like the better control), and the issue is gone! So, not sure why Adone Reader itself couldn't supply the newer version in response to a check for updates, or why when I went to the web site (using latest Firefox browser) it would only show me 11.0.08?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Adobe update for Windows XP
Expert Contributor 17th Dec, 2014 16:34
Score: 2542
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 17th Dec, 2014 16:47
Hi ,

A word to the wise , if Adobe have stopped their support for Reader , as above , you should be aware that updating your Reader to the latest version does not mean it will fix a vulnerability for XP when such vulnerabilities are unique/particular to XP .

Using an unsupported Reader on an unsupported system is just asking for trouble unless you have everything sandboxed or the equivalent virtualisation ; even then ....

EDIT:- THe PSI is reading the meta data for the Reader version and will offer you the latest patched version ; it seems unlikely that Secunia will modify their rules to accomodate an obsolete system .

The scores in the posting box are often inaccurate .

Take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+3
emcguy RE: Adobe update for Windows XP
Member 18th Dec, 2014 03:38
User Since: 12th Nov 2009
Also XP Pro up to the last updates. And yes I went to the Adobe site to get 11.0.10. I went thru the exact same exercise going from .08 to .09. PSI downloaded a large 200+ MB file that wouldn't install. I went to the Adobe site and got one 1/3 the size that did. This time I didn't bother going thru PSI for the update.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.