Forum Thread: Adobe Flash Player - still shown and flagged after uninstall

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as resolved.
Theophil Adobe Flash Player - still shown and flagged after uninstall
Member 20th Jan, 2015 13:53
Ranking: 0
User Since: 24th Apr, 2011
System Score: N/A
Hi,
a very strange situation.
In the morning PSI showed me the red warning icon and suggested to install a solution manually. Looking up in order to find out which program was meant it was Adobe Flash Player 16.0.0.235 (ActiveX). The new version would be Flash Player 16.0.0.257 (ActiveX).
According to PSI the update was running - but it never came to an end.
So I went (using Firefox) to the Adobe website and installed the latest version of Adobe Flash Player manually. I ran PSI again (complete scan) with exactly the same result as reported above, not the slightest change.
In the list of installed programs there was only one single Adobe-entry. So I decided to uninstall Adobe Flash Player which worked without problems after I had shut down Firefox.
After reboot I did a complete new scan with PSI - with exactly the same result as reported above.
So that at this very moment is the situation.
Any idea what could be wrong?
Would appreciate any advice, thank you very much!

--
Windows 10, Version 1703; 64 Bit; Intel i7; RAM 16 GB

Post "RE: Adobe Flash Player - still shown and flagged after uninstall " has been selected as an answer.
Maurice Joyce RE: Adobe Flash Player - still shown and flagged after uninstall
Handling Contributor 20th Jan, 2015 15:00
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
PSI should not be telling you to do anything with Active X for IE on Windows 8.1. I assume you are talking about Windows 7 & my answer is based on that.

PSI shows the file path to where Adobe Flash is installed so you should be able manually delete it.

DELETING A FILE OR FOLDER PSI VERSION 2

1. Open PSI>Scan results.

2. Against the programme marked as vulnerable is a + sign to the left of it.

3. Click that & it will reveal DETECTED INSTANCES.

4. Below that are two yellow folders. Click the one WITHOUT a red dot.

5. That will open Windows Explorer (File Explorer) & you will be able to see the vulnerable file.

6. Right click on that file & select delete.

7. Carry out a full PSI scan & all should be in order.

PSI VERSION 3

Open PSI>select Show Programs.

You will now see a page full of programme icons or a list.

Right click on the icon that represents the programme in error>select Show Details - that will open a box showing the path & version number of the offending file.Double click on it which will open Windows Explorer (File Explorer) & you will see that file. Right click on it & select delete.

Run a full PSI scan & the problem should be resolved.

Last Reviewed 13:45 20/01/2015

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Theophil RE: Adobe Flash Player - still shown and flagged after uninstall
Member 20th Jan, 2015 17:48
Score: 0
User Since: 24th Apr 2011
Dear Maurice,
thank you so much for your prompt reply and the effective advice.
Of course it worked.
Please allow me to ask for some background information:
This in fact is a Windows 8.1 machine. I did not quite understand your remark referring to 8.1. as PSI did in fact react. Would you pse explain?
I now have observed that even after uninstall of Adobe Flash Player all my browsers (IE, Opera and Firefox) are showing e. g. YouTube videos without any problems. So I shall not reinstall Flash Player unless I do experience respective problems.
Does this mean that under 8.1 no separate Flash Player is needed?
Apart from that:
The PSI-warnng did show only one .ocx file which I have deleted and PSI was happy and showed green.
But I saw that in the Macromedia file there are numerous other files. Do I still need them?
I was tempted to delete the complete Macromedia file but that was impossible for reasons I do not know.
I do not want to be a nuisance to you but maybe you find a minute to clarify.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 21st Jan, 2015 00:17
Last edited on 21st Jan, 2015 01:24
Pleased to see you have fixed the issue. Sorry for the delay in replying but I needed to install PSI onto my Windows 8.1 test PC to take some snapshots for you.

As I am sure you are aware IE for Windows uses ActiveX & most other browsers use a Plug In therefore you will have two versions of Flash on your PC to support IE,Firefox & Opera.

I do not use third party browsers but to the best of my knowledge you need to MANUALLY update Firefox & Opera.

That is NOT the case for IE in Windows 8 & Windows 8.1 - Adobe Flash is updated via Windows Update mainly on the Monthly "Patch Tuesday" and requires no action by a user or Secunia. It shows in your Windows Update history as can be seen here.

https://1ncuig-ch3302.files.1drv.com/y2paFbnCTY74E...

Secunia have not been showing Adobe Flash Windows 8 or 8.1 but as you point out they appear to be doing so now.

https://1ncuig-ch3302.files.1drv.com/y2pPecqT3Vba-...

I do not use PSI on a regular basis but if you think Secunia are trying to update this item I would switch off auto update & complain to Secunia. They should NOT be attempting to update anything covered by Windows Update.

If your versions of Adobe Flash are showing as Secure I would not tamper with any files. If you think Microsoft may have left some update dross on your PC they have a perfectly good method of cleaning it up.

Details are here:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/delete-...

I use this tool(with all options activated) on a daily schedule & it includes an option to delete Windows Update dross.

Hope this helps a bit more.

Sorry about the extra emails - I have made a couple of edits.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Anthony Wells RE: Adobe Flash Player - still shown and flagged after uninstall
Expert Contributor 21st Jan, 2015 20:51
Score: 2542
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hi ,

For info , in the past few months my PSI 2.0.0.3003 has sometimes displayed the IE 11 Flash ActiveX found in the Macromed folder on my 8.1.1 64 bit at the time of updating by Windows update . Equally , the NPAPI plug-in has been known to go walkabout for a few/several hours :ie: during the last update earlier this month .

Atm , only the up to date NPAPI plug-in is being tracked/displaying . It is the only one that needs manual updating :ie: for my Firefox . Updating from the Adobe website with Ff will by default only download the NPAPI plug-in until/unless you specifically choose the IE ActiveX option .

Also , one time in the past , the Chrome PPAPI pepper flash has been tracked .

In the good/bad old days real Secunia staff often took 24 hours or more to get their definitions up to date , so such problems as described are to be expected now .

Hope that helps .

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Member 21st Jan, 2015 21:07
Last edited on 22nd Jan, 2015 00:02
Hi Maurice,

thank you very much for the trouble you are taking. I highly value and really appreciate your assistance!
Now, again some surprising findings at least as far as I am concerned with my limited knowledge:
- Indeed, looking into Update History I found the same entry which you have included (link) in your reply.
- My All Programs List does no longer show any respective entries as far as Adobe Flash Player is concerned. This must be due to the fact that I did uninstall Adobe Flash Player via Control Panel. Before that the Tool was duly shown.
- Accordingly Secunia PSI presently does not show any entries either.
- As said before since I have uninstalled Adobe Flash Player using Control Panel I did NOT experience any problems using Opera and Firefox. Everything I tried worked just fine. So for the time being I shall not install Adobe Flash Player again but will do so as soon as I run into trouble.
- Thank you for your advice to use Disk Clean-up. At first I believed in a program not known to me. But following the path taken from your screenshot I eventually realized that the program is quite familiar to me and that I use it regularly. Due to the fact that my native language is German and that I am running a German Windows I did not know the English term Disk Clean-Up. But as soon as I saw the respective window I understood...
So I had to edit this post asking for pardon because of the additional mail caused by editing.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Adobe Flash Player - still shown and flagged after uninstall
Expert Contributor 22nd Jan, 2015 00:09
Score: 2542
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hello again ,

The latest versions of Firefox will use it's HTML5 Video Player to view some YouTube videos if your Adobe Flash Player is not installed or not working for any reason . The same happens in Chrome but I cannot speak for Opera .

You can see the HTML5 status for each of your browsers using this page :-

https://www.youtube.com/html5?hl=fr

Hope that helps explain your "anomaly" .

Take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 22nd Jan, 2015 09:57
Hello Anthony,

that was helpful, thank you very much.

I have opened the link you have presented using Firefox and Opera.
There one is told that one is using the Standard Player. and - generally - that either HTML5 or Video-Codec H.264 or WebM-Format is supported by
Google Chrome
Microsoft Internet Explorer
Firefox
Opera
Apple Safari.
I hope I have translated correctly.
So, indeed, that seems to explain my findings at least as far as I understand the digital world.
Remains the question whether and when one is forced to install Adobe Flash Player again.
That remains to be seen I think.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 22nd Jan, 2015 13:32
You can always test your Flash Player is working & you have the correct version using this link:

http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

If by chance Flash is not installed for IE use this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.as...

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+2

This thread has been marked as locked.