Forum Thread: Problem With Latest Java Updates

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
rusty.07 Problem With Latest Java Updates
Member 24th Jan, 2015 02:28
Ranking: 16
User Since: 18th Apr, 2014
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 24th Jan, 2015 02:29

Hi all,

Secunia 2.0 is going through the motions of installing Java updates, but Java is still insecure after the updates are installed - or either the updates are not installing correctly.

I resorted to Patch My PC to fix this problem, but Secunia is still saying Java is insecure. Patch My PC says otherwise.
I tried using Java's own updater service, but their is *no* update option on any of the four program tabs located in the control panel of Windows 7 64-bit.

This user no longer exists RE: Problem With Latest Java Updates
Member 25th Jan, 2015 17:51
your best bet is to go to the control panel and delete java. then you can go to java update and correct version will be installed.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
mtodorov RE: Problem With Latest Java Updates
Member 29th Jan, 2015 11:52
Score: 19
User Since: 20th Mar 2009
Last edited on 29th Jan, 2015 11:55
I can confirm same problem here: PSI 2.0.0.4003 JRE auto-update ends "waiting for auto-update to complete" indefinitely ... So, after disabled auto-update this happens ...

Worse, it seems that "Install Solution" item offers 7u71 over it very self instead of 7u75 for update.

The only solution was direct dl from src.

Regards,
mtodorov

--
"If a task is worth doing, it is worth doing right. If it is not worth doing well, it is not worth doing." -- Dr. Jack Hyles
<><
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 29th Jan, 2015 13:57
More precise, after disabling AU, "Install Solution" link offers the following install file to download:

JavaJRE_7u71_32-bit_PSIonlySPS

After starting it, the Windows 7 removes JRE 7.0.71.14 and installs again the same old version. Upon download from vendor, version is correctly reported as JRE 7.0.15.13 ...

Sorry to have bothered you.

Regards,
mtodorov

--
"If a task is worth doing, it is worth doing right. If it is not worth doing well, it is not worth doing." -- Dr. Jack Hyles
<><
Was this reply relevant?
+0
stros29 RE: Problem With Latest Java Updates
Member 29th Jan, 2015 15:47
Score: 0
User Since: 5th Dec 2008
I have the same problem, Secunia saying that it is updating my computer to update 7u75. I do believe that Secunia is seeking a wrong update. I went to the Java downloads and they are up to Java 8.
I used the Java checking system to see if my system was up to date and indeed it is. I think that Secunia has yet to pick up on that., a newer version than they are recommending.
Hopefully you will find this somewhat helpful.
The end result is that Secunia is recommending, at this point, a downgrade to a "new" older version. :)
Was this reply relevant?
+0
stros29 RE: Problem With Latest Java Updates
Member 29th Jan, 2015 15:49
Score: 0
User Since: 5th Dec 2008
How do we inform Secunia of the "newer" update?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Problem With Latest Java Updates
Handling Contributor 29th Jan, 2015 18:34
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
JAVA 8 is not the only version supported.

Details of JAVA 7 update 75 is here:

http://www.java.com/en/download/manual_java7.jsp

JAVA 8 is here:

http://www.java.com/en/download/ie_manual.jsp

The FAQ refers to the Secunia stance on latest additions - extract here:

Vendors release new versions of a program for many reasons, and many newer releases don't contain security fixes. It is important to understand that the Secunia PSI is not a general update checker, but rather a security patch checker.

The implication of this is that whenever the Secunia PSI offers you an update, that update will fix a specific, known security vulnerability.

In these cases, Secunia recommend that you read the vendor release notes to determine if you prefer to install the update or not.

If you still want to contact them with a bug report the details are also in the FAQ:

For all feature requests or error inquiries, please submit your suggestions or error reports to support@secunia.com (including screen shots, whenever possible).

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
rusty.07 RE: Problem With Latest Java Updates
Member 29th Jan, 2015 21:07
Score: 16
User Since: 18th Apr 2014
Last edited on 29th Jan, 2015 21:09
Thanks for all the comments, but I never could seem to get things right, so I removed Java 7 and installed Java 8.

All seems to be well now.

Support for Java 7 will discontinue in April if I remember correctly.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 30th Jan, 2015 12:17
Last edited on 30th Jan, 2015 12:19
on 29th Jan, 2015 15:47, stros29 wrote:
I have the same problem, Secunia saying that it is updating my computer to update 7u75. I do believe that Secunia is seeking a wrong update. I went to the Java downloads and they are up to Java 8.
I used the Java checking system to see if my system was up to date and indeed it is. I think that Secunia has yet to pick up on that., a newer version than they are recommending.
Hopefully you will find this somewhat helpful.
The end result is that Secunia is recommending, at this point, a downgrade to a "new" older version. :)

Yes, the problem seems to be that PSI supplants 7u71 with itself.
"Install Solution" as seen and probably AU too.

JavaJRE_7u71_32-bit_PSIonlySPS should be replaced with JavaJRE_7u75_32-bit_PSIonlySPS .

AU waits forever as well for 7u75 to install, but it never happens because it seems that 7u71 is "replaced" by 7u71 :-P

There is also the 7u76 update, but it is a feature release, not a security fix.

Hope this helps. Someone should inform Secunia of this momentary lapse in otherwise great PSI tool.

Cheers,
mt

--
<><
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.