Forum Thread: More programs listed

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
rd52 More programs listed
Member 2nd Mar, 2015 17:08
Ranking: 21
User Since: 4th Dec, 2008
System Score: N/A
Secunia sees more programs than before. For months Secunia saw 88 programs, today when I ran a scan Secunia sees 92 programs. I have not done any changes to my computer, I don't understand the sudden increase today. My computer is W7 with all the current updates, Secunia V 3.0.09016. Any others notice this? Thanks for any info.

steffens RE: More programs listed
Member 6th Mar, 2015 22:32
Score: 53
User Since: 25th Jul 2009
It's a "well-known" "feature" of PSI. Given your join date, I'm surprised you haven't seen it long before now.

The number of detects depends on what program signatures are listed in the Secunia database when PSI does a scan. That database gets updated frequently, and things are added and removed therefrom based on criteria that only Secunia understand. (And they ain't telling.)

In other words, programs come, and programs go, but no one (except possibly Secunia) knows why.

The end result is that the number of programs that PSI finds on your computer is highly variable from one day to the next. For example, *every time* a new Flash is released, the *old* and *new* ActiveX versions will be detected, and the *old* NPAPI version will be detected, but the *new* NPAPI version will be "missing in action" for a day or two. Then (eventually), it will reappear, for no good reason I can see other than Secunia has (finally) gotten around to adding its signature to the database.

I (and others, I suspect) have always considered this to be a mis-feature of PSI. It *should* report *changes* to the program list after each scan so you *know* when something has been added or removed.

I requested that feature *many* years ago, but my request fell on deaf ears. So it goes...
-- EstherD
Was this reply relevant?
+0
rd52 RE: More programs listed
Member 6th Mar, 2015 22:54
Score: 21
User Since: 4th Dec 2008
Esther, thanks for the reply. I have used Secunia for a long time, I think even before the date I'd listed. In all the time I've used it, I never had it increase by four programs in one day. I had not added any new programs. I was wondering, when I first posted my original question, if others had also seen an increase.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
steffens RE: More programs listed
Member 6th Mar, 2015 23:19
Score: 53
User Since: 25th Jul 2009
I'm still using PSI 2. About a week ago I re-ran a scan on my spouse's Win7 laptop and also noticed a *sudden increase* in the number of programs detected by PSI. The jump was at least 2, and possibly as many as 4. So I *think* I am seeing the same increase that you are reporting.

Based on my past experience, it seems to me that the most likely explanation is that Secunia has added a large number of signatures to their database recently.

But since PSI doesn't report *which* programs were added (or removed) between scans, there is *no way* that I know of to determine *exactly* what happened, other than by laboriously reading through the entire detection list in the (somewhat vain) hope that one *might* recognize one or more of the new items.

I have tried that on occasion over the years. My success has been limited at best, and the only result I am certain of is the one I reported, namely the repeated coming and going of the NPAPI Flash plugin.

HTH...
-- EstherD
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.