Forum Thread: Create Thread form unusable

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
tgsbn Create Thread form unusable
Member 13th May, 2015 12:42
Ranking: 0
User Since: 6th May, 2015
System Score: N/A
The "Create Thread" form of this forum is very difficult to use in my browser Firefox 37.0.2.
There are no fields to select the forum and to set the topic but clicking "Create" asks me to do exactly that. The only way I found to create a thread is to manually add forum and topic to the URL in the address bar.
Also the formatting looks very ugly and difficult to read.
It looks like this form is designed only for a specific browser or browsers, and Firefox is not one of them.

LeendertKip RE: Create Thread form unusable
Member 13th May, 2015 13:00
Score: 35
User Since: 13th Feb 2010
PSI is not designed for specific browsers as far as I know. PSI runs on my Windows 7 pc's with IE and Firefox successfully. There is a known problem with the forum since a long time andonce Secunia support told us that they were working to solve it. Up to now in vain because it's not solved. We have to live with it.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
tgsbn RE: Create Thread form unusable
Member 13th May, 2015 13:25
Score: 0
User Since: 6th May 2015
In the meantime I have verified that the problem also exists with Internet Explorer 11.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 13th May, 2015 14:12
There is a post from Maurice Joice, dated 4-4-205 named: Work around to create a forum thread. Maybe worth reading for you.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 13th May, 2015 14:40
Thanks, interesting post. However I find that instead of the box for the thread header which Maurice's last screenshot shows, I have only a fine blue line which I am unable to click upon. So I'm left with my own workaround of manually tacking "?forum=PSI&topic=This%20forum%20sucks" to the end of the /createthread/ URL.

It sure would be nice if that could be fixed.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 13th May, 2015 14:59
I agree that it should be fine if the problems are sold. In the past, I'm a PSI user since 2009, there was excellent support from Secunia and there are/were many experienced users who were able to help people with problems. However, since a long time Secunia support stopped serving the forum. I assume that there's no longer time (and money) for the forum. That's understandable because Secunia must develop and maintain their professional and payed products to make money. It's a pity!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Create Thread form unusable
Handling Contributor 14th May, 2015 09:56
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Interesting that clicking on the blue line appears to fail. I have just retried my possible work around and all appears OK.

As for the other comment I am not sure any user of PSI should accept appalling support,buggy software and an inaccurate and virtually unusualable web pages.

Secunia elected not to charge to use PSI (I hope no one in their right mind would ever consider buying the latest piece of crap ware called PSI 3 or use the extremely buggy SPS system if it ever came on the market)- having launched a free SECURITY programme they have a duty of care which they are now totally failing to discharge.

https://secunia.com/community/commitment/

If they cannot manage their responsibility and commitment they should withdraw the product. That would force users to migrate - there are alternatives as other members have found.

Posts by Ester and Anthony make excellent reading here:

https://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/15...

The web should be the selling point for any Company. It is not only the Forum that is broken but the inaccuracy of detail elsewhere. How an earth can anyone trust Secunia with security matters if they cannot fix what they have broken or amend the blatant inaccuracies in a timely manner?

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+2
steffens RE: Create Thread form unusable
Member 14th May, 2015 17:58
Score: 53
User Since: 25th Jul 2009

Three things that might help:

1) ALWAYS select the forum in which you want your post to appear BEFORE you hit the "Create Thread" button.

2) If you cannot use your mouse cursor to select the "Topic" text entry box, then try using your browser's ZOOM function to make the text on the page bigger or smaller.

3) Click *anywhere* in the visible portion of the "Body" text entry box to select it. If the text cursor is *not* visible, then hit RETURN one or more times until the text cursor can be seen. Now you can start typing *and* you will actually be able to see what you are typing while you are typing it. (Revolutionary concept, eh?)

Haven't found *any* ZOOM setting that allows me to see the *entire* "Topic" text entry box, but in my experience with Firefox 37 on Mac OS X, setting ZOOM larger by one step causes the page layout to change just enough that I can usually hook the the "Topic" text entry box if I am *VERY* precise in positioning my mouse cursor before I click. Otherwise, if I go too far above the blue line, then I select an unwanted menu item instead.

[ In Firefox 37 on Mac OS X, ZOOM IN is "CMD +", ZOOM OUT is "CMD -", and RESET ZOOM is "CMD 0". Dunno what these functions are in Firefox on Windows, or in other browsers, but all browsers *should* provide some mechanism to ZOOM a page, either by keyboard, or menu choice, or both. ]

HTH...
-- EstherD
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 14th May, 2015 23:13
Thanks. Zooming in one step does indeed make the "Topic" text box appear in a way that's discernible as a text entry field. It also makes the "Topic" label appear. :-)
So I just have to remember, should I ever feel the urge again to start a new thread in this forum, to "zoom in".
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.