Forum Thread: Is it time to dump Adobe Flash?

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
taffy078 Is it time to dump Adobe Flash?
Contributor 13th Jul, 2015 08:27
Ranking: 408
User Since: 26th Feb, 2009
System Score: N/A
Respected experts are now suggesting that the latest security hole found in Flash should make users seriously consider dumping Flash e.g.
http://krebsonsecurity.com/2015/06/a-month-without...

Apart from uninstalling Flash and then seeing which programs don't work, is there any other way for us to find out which programs use Flash?

--
taffy078, West Yorkshire, UK

HP Envy Win10 PC and Compaq Presario screwed up by forced upgrade to Win10 from WIn7

LeendertKip RE: Is it time to dump Adobe Flash?
Member 13th Jul, 2015 09:41
Score: 35
User Since: 13th Feb 2010
Hi Taffy, I did a search for 'alternatives for adobe flash and found this: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/983999 It seems that there is no known alternative for Flash. Maybe worth reading.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
steffens RE: Is it time to dump Adobe Flash?
Member 16th Jul, 2015 21:59
Score: 53
User Since: 25th Jul 2009
Last edited on 16th Jul, 2015 21:59
Check out this article by Brian Krebs...
A Month Without Adobe Flash Player
http://krebsonsecurity.com/2015/06/a-month-without...

Most modern browsers allow setting Flash to be "click to play". I've done that on Firefox and Chrome, and it works well for me. There are many sites that will pop up the "Do you want to let this site run flash?" dialog box, but I've found few that don't function properly if I click NO.

For IE, I decided the safest choice was just to disable (or uninstall) Flash entirely. But then I only use IE when dealing with MS sites (mostly relating to patches, KB docs and such), so it's not a big deal for me to not have Flash in IE. YMMV.

P.S. I do all my Flash updates manually, because I do not trust auto-updaters. Too many times they've failed silently, and left me thinking I was patched when I wasn't. With things like Flash and Java, the false sense of security they instill is just far too dangerous. YMMV may vary on this, as well.
-- EstherD
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mogs RE: Is it time to dump Adobe Flash?
Member 18th Jul, 2015 05:33
Score:
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
taffy078 RE: Is it time to dump Adobe Flash?
Contributor 19th Jul, 2015 09:36
Score: 408
User Since: 26th Feb 2009
Thanks Mogs. Good to 'see' you again!!

--
taffy078, West Yorkshire, UK

HP Envy Win10 PC and Compaq Presario screwed up by forced upgrade to Win10 from WIn7
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.