Forum Thread: Adobe Shockwave Player

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
Nikilet Adobe Shockwave Player
Member 15th Jul, 2015 22:42
Ranking: 7
User Since: 15th Jul, 2008
System Score: N/A
When I opened Secunia it showed Adobe Shockwave Player as out of date, giving the installed version as 12.1.8.158 and the newest version as 12.1.9.159.

I use Chrome as my main browser, with Firefox as backup. Neither of these is even showing Adobe Shockwave Player, only Adobe Flash Player.

A couple of days ago, after reading a tech article, I disabled Adobe Flash Player in Chrome so don't know if that has anything to do with this.

I'd appreciate if someone could advise me what I need to do.

Under Details:
C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Shockwave 10\SwInit.exe 10.4.1.48
C:\Windows\System32\Adobe\Shockwave 12\SwInit.exe 12.1.8.158

While I'm here, why is everything on my Secunia page showing up in what looks like Courier font? It's very light and hard to read. My message is appearing in Arial but all the rest of the page is what looks like Courier.

Maurice Joyce RE: Adobe Shockwave Player
Handling Contributor 16th Jul, 2015 00:04
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Just right click on those old dr4oss files and select delete. To be successful anything that might be using those files (browsers for example) must be fully closed down.

Secunia have had many issues with their website for months which includes what you describe.

Hope you are well?

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Nikilet RE: Adobe Shockwave Player
Member 16th Jul, 2015 03:54
Score: 7
User Since: 15th Jul 2008
I can barely read your reply due to the font, but I think it says to click on and remove old dr4oss files. Where do I find these files?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Adobe Shockwave Player
Handling Contributor 16th Jul, 2015 08:04
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
You can do it manually by opening Windows Explorer and navigating to the locations you gave in your opening post or perhaps better if you use the Adobe removal tool which is here:
https://helpx.adobe.com/shockwave/kb/download-shoc...
As it states save the download then CLOSE all browsers before activating the uninstaller. A full PSI rescan should indicate the old files have been removed.

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 16th Jul, 2015 21:27
Last edited on 16th Jul, 2015 21:28
Before I use the uninstaller, I want to clarify that there are NO files named dr4oss in those two locations I listed in my first post.

I belong to the Shockwave game site. If I uninstall Shockwave Player how does that affect my membership to the game site?

I almost forgot ... Is there any way I can change this font so I can read it?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
steffens RE: Adobe Shockwave Player
Member 16th Jul, 2015 22:12
Score: 53
User Since: 25th Jul 2009
on 16th Jul, 2015 21:27, Nikilet wrote:

Most modern browsers have a zoom function. For Firefox, it's typically under the "View" menu or some such (not on a Win machine just now, so I cannot check). Keyboard shortcuts are typically "CTRL +" for zoom in (bigger), "CTRL -" for zoom out (smaller) and "CTRL 0" for reset to normal. Some browsers remember the zoom setting between sessions; some don't.

Much easier and far more flexible than fussing around trying to change browser fonts, especially since zoom applies on a per-site basis, rather than affecting all sites as a font change would.
-- EstherD
Was this reply relevant?
+0
steffens RE: Adobe Shockwave Player
Member 16th Jul, 2015 22:46
Score: 53
User Since: 25th Jul 2009
[ Aside: Which is worse... an edit, that generates an email notice. Or an entirely new post, that also generates an email notice. ;) ]

The font(s) on this site are horrible, but they are the ones that Secunia has chosen, and therefore Secunia at least must be pleased with them. As for the rest of us, well... (My guess is that Secunia is trying much too hard to be "mobile-friendly", and these poor font choices are the result of that effort. But I could be wrong.)

Chrome no longer supports plugins like Shockwave and Java. That's intentional, according to Google.

Firefox still supports plugins like Shockwave and Java. Daughter's Win7 laptop still runs both (for games), so I know Shockwave is compatible with Firefox, which is her browser-of-choice. BUT you have to deal with "click-to-play", which is ON by default for these plugins in the most-recent versions of Firefox. AND you have to be careful which browser add-on(s) you are using, because several of them silently block Shockwave content without any way that I can find to re-enable it, either globally or on any particular site.

FlashBlock in particular. The original author(s) abandoned it, and at some point in the never-ending march of Firefox browser versions, it broke. Someone fixed it (more-or-less) so that it still worked for Flash, but they forgot (or chose not) to update the code that handles Shockwave. So now FlashBlock just blocks all Shockwave content indiscriminately. My advice in this case would be just to uninstall FlashBlock, since Firefox's native "click-to-play" seems to be a more-than-adequate replacement for all of FlashBlock's functionality.
-- EstherD
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 17th Jul, 2015 04:54
Ok on zooming for the fonts.

However, you've lost me on the rest of it. Chrome is my browser of choice. But I download many games from Shockwave to my desktop so I can just open and play them from there. If I uninstall Shockwave Player, will I still be able to play the games?

Maurice referred to certain files as "old" files. But he called them dr4oss and I can't find any files in those locations labeled as such.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mtodorov RE: Adobe Shockwave Player
Member 17th Jul, 2015 09:50
Score: 19
User Since: 20th Mar 2009
Last edited on 17th Jul, 2015 09:51
on 17th Jul, 2015 04:54, Nikilet wrote:
Ok on zooming for the fonts.

However, you've lost me on the rest of it. Chrome is my browser of choice. But I download many games from Shockwave to my desktop so I can just open and play them from there. If I uninstall Shockwave Player, will I still be able to play the games?

Maurice referred to certain files as "old" files. But he called them dr4oss and I can't find any files in those locations labeled as such.

Hi there,

Please NOTE that Shockwave is not the same software as Flash ActiveX control & NPAPI plugin.

If PSI fails to upgrade Adobe Shockwave Player to a recent version and you need it, please consider FileHippo update checker.

NOTE that FH doesn't give security information, but only feature upgrades, so it is a supplement to PSI, it doesn't replace security function of Secunia PSI.

Hope this helps.

All the best,
mt

--
"If a task is worth doing, it is worth doing right. If it is not worth doing well, it is not worth doing." -- Dr. Jack Hyles
<><
Was this reply relevant?
+0
taffy078 RE: Adobe Shockwave Player
Contributor 17th Jul, 2015 10:33
Score: 408
User Since: 26th Feb 2009
I have a problem which may or may not be relevant so I hope you don't mind me tagging on to your thread. (I'll start a new one if you'd prefer that.)

PSI detected v10.4.1.49 and requested that I approve the update. I did but nothing happened apart from "update scheduled'.

So I went to the Adobe site and downloaded from there - it was almost immediate - so quick that I almost didn't believe it. I rescanned - same result.

But my programs and also Revo show I have v12.1. In the meantime, PSI had changed to "waiting".
I followed the link in PSI to C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed but Shockwave isn't there. There's only Flash in that folder. Today's update has put it in the Adobe folder.

Shockwave is no longer shown in the PSI list.

I'll try all over again later.

PS Thanks for the heads up about the font= for mobiles. Perhaps that's why the display is also CR*p!

--
taffy078, West Yorkshire, UK

HP Envy Win10 PC and Compaq Presario screwed up by forced upgrade to Win10 from WIn7
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 17th Jul, 2015 10:49
Last edited on 17th Jul, 2015 10:50
I can report success in updating Adobe (prev. Macromedia) Shockwave Player 12.1.0.150 -> 12.1.9.159 version.

I was using auto-update PSI 2.0.0.4003 on Win 7 SP1.

Hope this helps.

mt

--
"If a task is worth doing, it is worth doing right. If it is not worth doing well, it is not worth doing." -- Dr. Jack Hyles
<><
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 17th Jul, 2015 13:15
on 16th Jul, 2015 21:27, Nikilet wrote:
Before I use the uninstaller, I want to clarify that there are NO files named dr4oss in those two locations I listed in my first post.

I belong to the Shockwave game site. If I uninstall Shockwave Player how does that affect my membership to the game site?

Hi,

I think Mr. Maurice Joyce meant dross (garbage) files and this is a typo that caused confusion.
Hope this helps.

mt

--
<><
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 17th Jul, 2015 17:21
Taffy: Don't mean this to be mean, but I really wish you would start your own post. It's hard enough for me to try and understand what people are trying to tell me, without having to sort through what they are trying to tell you too.

Back to my problem ... I don't know anymore now than I did before. If I uninstall Adobe Shockwave Player will I still be able to play the games I download to my desktop from Shockwave?

Are the files referred to by Maurice OLD, and does this mean I need to update Shockwave Player if I'm going to keep it.

I don't have a very good understanding of this situation so you need to talk really plain to me.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 17th Jul, 2015 18:47
Last edited on 17th Jul, 2015 18:48
Nikilet - the only reason I tagged it onto your thread was because I have absolutely no idea whether or not what is happening to me is caused by what is happening to you. That's why I politely explained all this at the start of my reply.

I won't confuse you any further - I'll start a new thread.

--

HP Envy Win10 PC and Compaq Presario screwed up by forced upgrade to Win10 from WIn7
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 17th Jul, 2015 18:57
I've just has a thought Nikilet. Which version of Shockwave does your games site require - the new Adobe version or the old Macromedia version?

Could one of the experts here advise whether or not it makes a difference?

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Jul, 2015 03:41
Thank you, Taffy, for trying to help. I hope you were not offended by my asking you to start your own thread because I didn't mean to do that.

I went ahead last night and uninstalled Shockwave Player using their Uninstaller. Then I reinstalled the newest version using the Full Installer. After that I did another scan with PSI and it showed that I was 100% up to date so I THINK the problem is solved.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.