Forum Thread: Adobe Flash Player 18.x safe?

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Adobe Systems
And, this specific program:
Adobe Flash Player 18.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
RedDawn Adobe Flash Player 18.x safe?
Member 21st Jul, 2015 21:48
Ranking: 0
User Since: 2nd Dec, 2012
System Score: N/A
I heard from my dad that PCMatic said to get rid of Flash because it was vulnerable. I'd already updated to 18.0.0.209 and the PSI once again shows no insecure programs. Yet underneath the 'Patched Threat' column it's shown as a Cat-5 threat that's being actively used by hackers to take over systems. A search for that in the forums yielded no results/discussions.

So, is the latest version safe or not? Thanks.

Maurice Joyce RE: Adobe Flash Player 18.x safe?
Handling Contributor 25th Jul, 2015 01:33
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Can you publish a screen shot of the PSI result or give the path that PSI gives you for Adobe Flash.

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+1
RedDawn RE: Adobe Flash Player 18.x safe?
Member 30th Jul, 2015 03:37
Score: 0
User Since: 2nd Dec 2012
I'd be happy to attach the screenshot I took, but I can't figure out how to attach the dang thing. :-( I'm usually pretty savvy with computer stuff, but I am embarrassed to confess I don't know how to attach a stupid file on this forum.

With a little help I can give ya what need to help me further.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 30th Jul, 2015 21:19
To post a screen shot to the Forum you need to:

1. Capture the image.

2. Save the image to an online repository such as Microsoft OneDrive or a third party programme like Dropbox https://www.dropbox.com/

3. Post the hyperlink to the stored online image to the Forum. Use CTRL+C to copy & CTRL+V to post to the Forum.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 31st Jul, 2015 02:36
I must have glossed right over your second option. The installation paths are as follows:

C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash\Flash32_18_0_0_ 209.ocx
and
C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash\NPSWF32_18_0_0_ 209.dll

I just don't understand why on these and certain other versions of programs that aren't flagged as Insecure or End-of-Life still appear with the colored bar under the 'Patched Threat' column. Is that colored threat bar just to show the severity of the vulnerability if it wasn't patched? (I prefer using the old PSI v1.5.0.2 because of the program research potential, path and other detailed information given instead of just the automatic updating that the later versions seem to do.)

Thanks, Maurice--you 'da man!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 5th Aug, 2015 22:03
Sorry I have been away for a few days. If those are the only files PSI is showing you and it states you are secure then you are OK (for the time being). Your Dad is offering wise counsel in that Adobe Flash is being constantly updated because of ongoing insecurities.

This interesting article adds weight to what your Dad has read -
http://krebsonsecurity.com/2015/06/a-month-without...

With anything like this it is always a balanced personal judgement on the best course of action. I personally consider anything that is free from Adobe or Oracle are accidents waiting to happen so try to avoid them at all costs.

Currently I only have Flash installed on my Windows 8.1 PC but it is switched off via the browser until I authorise its use. It is updated via Windows Update which helps in keeping it up to date.

My AppleMac and Windows 7 PC is Flash free and I cannot say I miss it.

It cannot be downloaded onto an IPad (unless you have a jail breaker version) and it does not prevent my enjoyment or others that I know who use one.

Does that help?

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Anthony Wells RE: Adobe Flash Player 18.x safe?
Expert Contributor 6th Aug, 2015 19:18
Score: 2542
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 6th Aug, 2015 19:36
Hi ,

Just to add that most if not all browsers support HTML5 for use instead of Flash . You can check each browser's method of choosing which software add-on they will use and under what conditions .

Here's what Mozilla have to say :eg: about Firefox :-

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/html5-audio-a...

EDIT You can also check each of your browsers' attitude to YouTube here :-

https://www.youtube.com/html5

Hope that is helpful .

Take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 10th Aug, 2015 21:36
Sorry my reply comes so many days later. I greatly appreciate your experience and input. Isn't there some open source alternative to Flash? Is that what you use on your other systems? Otherwise, how do you get by? Do video clips play for you w/o it?

Thanks.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 11th Aug, 2015 12:22
I can only try and help further from my personal experience. Other members may wish to add their comments,tips and tricks.

As previously stated I try to avoid installing any free offerings from Adobe or Oracle because they are constantly being updated to plug security issues and secondly, I strongly believe that if you do not use or need a programme (in my case Oracle JAVA,Adobe Shockwave,Adobe AIR and Adobe Reader) it should be not be installed.

I have the same attitude with browsers hence I only use IE with Windows and Safari with Apple.

Adobe Flash is slightly different in that it is useful to me ON OCCASIONS if viewing certain web elements.

My main work platforms are Windows 7 and OS X Yosemite which I would never consider installing Flash.

I use my Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 platforms mainly for research and testing so I have Flash installed but disabled until required. For example I use this programme which is Flash based:

http://www.jacquielawson.com/

The programme gives some useful background information that should answer your question on video for example.

http://www.jacquielawson.com/faq/answer.asp?Questi...

http://www.jacquielawson.com/faq/answer.asp?Questi...

How do I disable/enable Flash in IE? From the tools menu click on ACTIVE X FILTERING - that will put a tick (check mark) to the left of that option - Flash is now off and all that is required is to toggle that tick (check mark) to switch on or off.

If you try to use something requiring Flash with IE you will get some kind of message indicating you must switch it on or install it. The messages differ but here is an example:

http://www.jacquielawson.com/preview.asp?cont=1&hd...

Sorry but I cannot help with Flash use on any third party browsers for Windows.

What would I do if I only had one PC?

Install Adobe Flash and toggle it on or (mainly)off as required.

Does that help?

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+1

This thread has been marked as locked.