Forum Thread: PSI for Android - not detecting

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
xerces8 PSI for Android - not detecting
Member 29th Jul, 2015 20:29
Ranking: 5
User Since: 14th Sep, 2010
System Score: N/A
I installed PSI for Android (version 1.0.3) on my mobile phone (SGS3 , v4.3) today and run a scan.

It only reports to have found 16 programs, with no security problems.

It completely misses other installed apps (like Chrome, Sygic, AndSMB, AndroSensor ad many more).

It also fails to detect that I have the recent stagefright/MMS vulnerability and the freakattack issue.

Is it still in some beta stage?

Is there something to tweak or configure?

Regards,
David

mogs RE: PSI for Android - not detecting
Member 29th Jul, 2015 23:53
Score:
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
Psi for Android hasn't had an update for almost two years.
In that time, I've tried it on a couple of occasions.....most recently it detects that all apps are up to date, and finds two that were supposedly updated six months ago.....one of those: Street View on Google, shows in the app as having last had an update in Oct 2012 !!
Most of the Reviews for psi on Google Play go back to 2014; and there seems to be no reaction to any by Secunia.
I emailed Secunia some time ago about psi for android having it's own slot in the Community forums.
It does seem as tho' apathy is reigning !!
As regards the very recent Stagefright vulnerability.....there's an article perhaps worth reading here :-
http://www.greenbot.com/article/2954235/android/ho...
How to protect yourself from the Stagefright security flaw

Hope it helps.....regards.....

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
xerces8 RE: PSI for Android - not detecting
Member 30th Jul, 2015 00:47
Score: 5
User Since: 14th Sep 2010
Is there any other similar app for Android?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mogs RE: PSI for Android - not detecting
Member 30th Jul, 2015 05:24
Score:
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
There probably are apps that share some similarities....none that I'd trust to the same extent as psi if it were better monitored. I prefer to keep watch myself than download anything else.
I don't download applications from anywhere other than the Play Store, and my A/V checks each when it is....Did you find the Greenbot article useful ? From what I've read elsewhere, whilst it's as well to be aware of the threat, there seems to be no proven occurrance of it yet.....Regards.....

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.