Forum Thread: Microsoft August Updates

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Open Discussions

This thread has been marked as locked.
taffy078 Microsoft August Updates
Contributor 23rd Aug, 2015 08:39
Ranking: 408
User Since: 26th Feb, 2009
System Score: N/A
I have yet to install these - it seems that MS are struggling to cope with users downloading the free Windows 10 and as a result I couldn't get through the "looking for updates" stage.

But yesterday I left the 'looking' running all day and after eight hours it found the 26 "important" updates.
I haven't installed them yet - I'm trying to find reports from Win7 users that the updates have run OK. [It seems Win10 users have been worst affected.]

SO my question is given that a great deal of these updates are flagged as 'critical', why hasn't the PSI scan found them or rather picked up that I haven't got them?

--
taffy078, West Yorkshire, UK

HP Envy Win10 PC and Compaq Presario screwed up by forced upgrade to Win10 from WIn7

LeendertKip Microsoft August Updates
Member 23rd Aug, 2015 09:34
Score: 35
User Since: 13th Feb 2010
Hi Taffy, I can confirm that the August updates were installed on my own 2 Windows 7 pc's without problems. In my case there were 14. I started downloading and updating tuesday 11/8 at 19.00 Amsterdam time. That's the usual time the updates are available. On 12/8 I checked two Windows 7 pc's of family members using TeamViewer and found no problems. I ran PSI 3.0.0.10004 on all 4 pc's after installing the updates, no problems at all. So I have no answer for your question about PSI.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Microsoft August Updates
Handling Contributor 23rd Aug, 2015 12:38
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
There are no issues for Windows 7 from where I sit. Numerous members of my SMB end points have 7 and they are not reporting any issues either.
I had 21 actual installs which included Microsoft Office and Silverlight.
All mine completed in less than 20minutes which included the reboot.

There has been an OOB since patch Tuesday with KB3087985.

You appear to have an excessive amount of ACTUAL important updates for August particularly if you are not using MS Office or Silverlight.

PSI
Did this odd behaviour happen after a full PSI scan or are you expecting the PSI Task-bar traffic lights to go Amber or Red as and when an item on your scan list becomes vulnerable?

Hope you are keeping dry -.not nice South of Nottingham!

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
taffy078 RE: Microsoft August Updates
Contributor 23rd Aug, 2015 13:19
Score: 408
User Since: 26th Feb 2009
Hi Leendert, Maurice.

It appears that I have Silverlight but I don't know why as I never download the stuff it appears to cater for. Perhaps it was pre-installed but I'll remove it. I have Office but maybe not the current all-singing/all-dancing version.

I ran the PSI scan before I installed the 25 updates. As many of these were described as critical I expected to see them on the Scan Results [as missing] but they weren't there, hence my thread.

I've long since ignored the colour of the traffic light when first loading PSI - it is usually amber but then green when I open PSI.

I now have a problem with IE11 - new thread on way.

Finally - "I don't believe it" as Victor Meldrew would say. Not nice darn sarf (as they say oop here) but bright sunny bbq weather here. I'll get my woods out (crown green bowling) later so we'll then have thunder, lightning, hail, lashing rain and gales. That's what's been happening for weeks now!!

--

HP Envy Win10 PC and Compaq Presario screwed up by forced upgrade to Win10 from WIn7
Was this reply relevant?
+0
taffy078 RE: Microsoft August Updates
Contributor 23rd Aug, 2015 17:29
Score: 408
User Since: 26th Feb 2009
PS No sooner had I thanked Maurice for his help on my IE11 thread (locked) when the sun went, to be replaced by thunder, lightning, high winds and very heavy rain. The drains can't cope.

That'll teach me to brag about the weather in God's own County!

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Microsoft August Updates
Handling Contributor 23rd Aug, 2015 17:32
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Ho Ho - not joking but we are now enjoying a bit of sunshine!

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.