Forum Thread: ReInstall

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
melvinslane ReInstall
Member 12th Oct, 2015 22:23
Ranking: 0
User Since: 11th Dec, 2008
System Score: N/A
PSI has apparently been manually uninstalled and now I'm unable to get it to reinstall the program. Even though the folder is gone from Program Files, the Setup program says there's an old version of PSI present. However when I tell it to uninstall the old version, nothing happens and I can't get past that point.

I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit on the computer.

MB Slane

mtodorov RE: ReInstall
Member 13th Oct, 2015 12:37
Score: 19
User Since: 20th Mar 2009
on 12th Oct, 2015 22:23, melvinslane wrote:
PSI has apparently been manually uninstalled and now I'm unable to get it to reinstall the program. Even though the folder is gone from Program Files, the Setup program says there's an old version of PSI present. However when I tell it to uninstall the old version, nothing happens and I can't get past that point.

I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit on the computer.

MB Slane

If I understood that you manually removed Secunia PSI from C:\Program Files, there may be a leftover PSI key, in fact entire subtree, in Windows registry.

Look for Computer\HKCU\Software\Secunia subtree ... Removing it should make it work, but you will inevitably lose history of past scans within dashboard.

Hope this helps.

Rgds,
mtodorov

--
"If a task is worth doing, it is worth doing right. If it is not worth doing well, it is not worth doing." -- Dr. Jack Hyles
<><
Was this reply relevant?
+0
melvinslane RE: ReInstall
Member 13th Oct, 2015 15:23
Score: 0
User Since: 11th Dec 2008
Thanks for the reply. I must have a different Windows version than you do though because that tree doesn't show up when I do a search in Regedit. So far searching for just Secunia I'm only finding one line about Secunia PSI Agent.

MB Slane
Was this reply relevant?
+0
puget1 RE: ReInstall
Member 13th Oct, 2015 19:45
Score:
User Since: 21st Dec 2007
Just as a question at this point,what uninstaller do you think was used? Are you familiar with command prompt?

--
Windows 10 64bit

There is No magic bullet in computing; only work a rounds.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 13th Oct, 2015 21:36
Can't answer about the uninstaller - knowing my Dad he just deleted the files and folders in Program Files.

It's been awhile but yes I've used command prompt.

MB Slane
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 13th Oct, 2015 21:39
P.S. When I said your registry address didn't look familiar, I was referring to the \HKCU\ part. Nothing like that in my registry that I could find.

MB Slane
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 14th Oct, 2015 01:40
Score:
Hard Thing: You must remember: Windows is a separate entity from DOS. You can delete in registry and still be in DOS
but not vice versa. If your Dad did just attempted to delete the program from Program Files. First you are going to have to find the file on your hard drive and verify that it isn't there. If so then go ahead and delete reboot and you should be o.k. If it is not there you will more than likely have to do a complete reinstall Sorry Maybe, you can verify with him the actual steps he took. Luck

--
Windows 10 64bit

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 14th Oct, 2015 14:02
Sorry but I don't understand any of that. What file are you talking about deleting in DOS ?

MB Slane
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 14th Oct, 2015 14:37
Thanks for the help but I found a way to fix it. Downloaded an uninstaller program and had it look for anything with PSI in it. It found a file and deleted it, along with everything connected to it in the registry. Have PSI installed now successfully.

MB Slane
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 14th Oct, 2015 15:38
Score:
Cool,that's great. Finding a uninstaller program that works would be the way to go. It's why I asked what uninstaller you were using.. Mind if I ask, what one you used? Most persons in the forum use Revo uninstaller. I was going to suggest another. DOS is the same as your hard drive. The file should be indicated as such when utilizing cmd prompt. Another route to go,would be to use an advance search within Windows.

--
Windows 10 64bit

Was this reply relevant?
+0
LeendertKip ReInstall
Member 14th Oct, 2015 15:49
Score: 35
User Since: 13th Feb 2010
Hi Puget, Revo is good indeed. But keep in mind that the free version doesn't show 64bit software. I'm using pro which isn't really expensive.
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 14th Oct, 2015 16:09
Score:
I used revo for along time. I now use another with the ability to do a force uninstall. It really seems to do a better job of cleaning up the registry. Did you understand the bit about the difference between Dos and Windows?

--
Windows 10 64bit

Was this reply relevant?
+0
LeendertKip ReInstall
Member 14th Oct, 2015 16:44
Score: 35
User Since: 13th Feb 2010
Last edited on 14th Oct, 2015 16:47
Hi Puget,In Revo Pro it's possible to use forced uninstall but I can't remember about such option in the free version. DOS? Yes, I'm old enough :) to remember DOS or Disk Operating System. There were at least two versions, from Microsoft, MS DOS, and IBM's PC DOS. After DOS Microsoft came with it's first version of Windows and IBM later followed with OS/2. So I don't see a connection between Windows and DOS.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 14th Oct, 2015 17:14
Score:
You diffidently know the beginning of the evolution of p.c.'s. There was a time when there was not all the push button convenience of Windows. If you remove an app. directly from Program files without going through the registry you have essentially removed it from the hard drive,correct. Then the registry would retain and potentially be blocking the installer. It causes a conflict, in the interfaces between DOS and Windows and all interfaces between. Such as Linux, Legacy et all. With the old Vista machine, I had a file actually stuck between interfaces, probably do to improperly using the GUI. The only fix was finding the file on the hard drive and deleting it. Here is the uninstaller I've been using http://www.freewarefiles.com/search.php?query=wise... F.Y.I Hope it helps Puget1

--
Windows 10 64bit

Was this reply relevant?
+0
taffy078 RE: ReInstall
Contributor 15th Oct, 2015 08:29
Score: 408
User Since: 26th Feb 2009
Last edited on 15th Oct, 2015 08:30
"
on 14th Oct, 2015 15:49, LeendertKip wrote:
Hi Puget, Revo is good indeed. But keep in mind that the free version doesn't show 64bit software. I'm using pro which isn't really expensive.
"

Hi Leendert. Many thanks for this comment. I use Revo free and you've just explained some of the problems that I've been having.

--
taffy078, West Yorkshire, UK

HP Envy Win10 PC and Compaq Presario screwed up by forced upgrade to Win10 from WIn7
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mtodorov RE: ReInstall
Member 15th Oct, 2015 15:05
Score: 19
User Since: 20th Mar 2009
on 13th Oct, 2015 21:39, melvinslane wrote:
P.S. When I said your registry address didn't look familiar, I was referring to the \HKCU\ part. Nothing like that in my registry that I could find.

MB Slane

Hi, Slane,

HKCU is just a common abbreviation for HKEY_CURRENT_USER subtree.

Here is a screenshot for your aid:

http://magrf.grf.hr/%7Emtodorov/psi/Screenshot-psi...

Hope this helps.

Rgds,
mtodorov

--
"If a task is worth doing, it is worth doing right. If it is not worth doing well, it is not worth doing." -- Dr. Jack Hyles
<><
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.