Forum Thread: scan is having a senior moment

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
taffy078 scan is having a senior moment
Contributor 14th Oct, 2015 09:20
Ranking: 408
User Since: 26th Feb, 2009
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 14th Oct, 2015 09:21

In my last two threads I reported problems with PSI scans failing to pick up latest versions of Shockwave & Chrome. It's happened again, and also with Firefox. And this is all I can post for now!!!!!!1

--
taffy078, West Yorkshire, UK

HP Envy Win10 PC and Compaq Presario screwed up by forced upgrade to Win10 from WIn7

taffy078 RE: scan is having a senior moment
Contributor 14th Oct, 2015 09:22
Score: 408
User Since: 26th Feb 2009
Last edited on 14th Oct, 2015 09:24
can't post - PSI needs urgent attention

--

HP Envy Win10 PC and Compaq Presario screwed up by forced upgrade to Win10 from WIn7
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 14th Oct, 2015 09:42
example of what's going wrong:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=D8887A54681D...

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 14th Oct, 2015 09:47
Last edited on 14th Oct, 2015 09:53
Another example: PSI is saying that I should update my Firefox to v40.0.3.5716 but I have the latest version - v41.0.1.

Goodness know what would happen if I let PSI update it.

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 14th Oct, 2015 12:31

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: scan is having a senior moment
Handling Contributor 14th Oct, 2015 12:50
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
I would turn off any auto updating feature you have running - that is one less issue.

You ended the Forum dialogue on installing the correct default browser keys and strings into the Registry. Is that now complete because you have not made that clear? If not,as explained on that thread until your registry is sorted you should expect issues.

To check Forum posting I will:
Post as normal by creating a reply in NoteTab Pro or sometimes WordPad on Windows 7. I will create another post shortly on Windows 8 writing direct to the Forum and finally I will post using my IPad.

From the screen shot you have sent me Adobe Flash is also incorrect. We are now at version 19. You need to check in Windows Explore that you have these files.
https://1ncuig-ch3302.files.1drv.com/y3p_2fFNJpa0Z...

The scanner also appears to be running normally - I will post my scan result on the next trial posting using Windows 8.

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 14th Oct, 2015 12:56
I am now writing direct to the Forum using Windows 8 - this is the screen shot of a recent PSI scan - all appears in order having scanned and reported on 100+ items.

https://1ncuig-ch3302.files.1drv.com/y3pNXsCiWtlbb...

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 14th Oct, 2015 13:10
Now writing to the Forum directly using an IPad. I have not noted any difficulties using the Forum. I have copied and pasted this old snippet of information in case you are not aware.

http://www.flexerasoftware.com/enterprise/company/...

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 14th Oct, 2015 13:19
Maurice - Regarding Flash, I've got versions 18 and 19 and the latest scan shows v19.

The scan before that showed 95% and five 'at risk': Foxit Reader and four major Microsoft Updates. I installed all five updates and scanned again. I now have 100% but Adobe Shockwave isn't on the Scan Results list.

I haven't dealt with the missing registry entry, Maurice - I hadn't realised it could cause other problems; I thought it only stopped me coming to this forum via the Scan Results etc screen.

I'd missed your replies - my immediate thought was not to go anywhere near the registry but reinstall PSI but then I saw your comment that this would not sort out the corrupt registry. No - I haven't tried to fix it before. What appeared to have happened was that when I uninstalled Opera via Revo (because it had 'taken over') that corrupted the registry. I'll try again by installing Opera and then uninstalling via CP. I'll get back.

PS Thanks for Flexera link. I thought one of the giants would have bought Secunia.

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 14th Oct, 2015 13:30
I note from the screen shot you sent me that PSI indicates one rogue file is at C:\Program Files(x86) Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe version 40..0.2 5702.

Can you now publish a shot of all the folders(opened) and files in that directory.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 15th Oct, 2015 08:55
That Firefox program doesn't appear anywhere in my PC, Maurice. In C:\Program Files(x86) Mozilla Firefox, the long list has the firefox Application but nothing else i.e. no stand-alone .exe entry. Will a screenshot of it now still help?

Meanwhile, shortly after I powered up this morning, there was a message that PSI had removed an old program - I was unable to get to the PC in time to see which one. I looked at Scan Results and found that Adobe Shockwave was back. Great.

But I rescanned and now both Shockwave and Flash are missing, although both are definately installed.

I'll now install Opera to see if that resolves the directory issue.

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 15th Oct, 2015 10:22
Last edited on 15th Oct, 2015 10:22
've installed Opera and the registry seems to be correct now. The snip below is of the http line but there's an Opera entry in the https, too.

So the good news for me is that I can now access the forums directly from the links on the Dashboard etc screens.

But I really don't want to use Opera - I'm happy with IE11 and I want to change back to IE11. From memory, the old FAQ was quite detailed and I'm sure would have said what to do when changing browser but there's nothing in the current FAQ. The "Technical Data Sheet" there is little more than an advert:

https://secunia.com/?action=fetch&filename=product...

Am I looking in the wrong place or have I missed something? How do I change back to IE11?

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 15th Oct, 2015 15:33
Last edited on 15th Oct, 2015 18:15
You have lost me slightly. We discussed all the details here:

https://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/15...

Within that thread you gave a link to the Secunia FAQ that gives details of changes to the registry keys. It also gives a list of keys to help most users. I cautioned that those keys might, like IE, be incorrect and gave you the correct IE key to copy and paste if required.
If having reread the thread and the FAQ you still want more detail please let me know.

EDIT:I assume you have tried this and it has not changed the registry key?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/internet-explor...

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 15th Oct, 2015 18:20
sorry about the confusion, Maurice - this has been a frustrating time (probably for you, too, so thanks for your patience).

I completely failed to find in the FAQ where the registry key info came from but I've found it - it's under this heading:
"The Secunia PSI says "An error occurred while attempting to open the specified URL" when I click links. How can I solve this?"
I've been through every item in that FAQ but there's nothing there about what a Community member should do if he/she changes their browser. Am I expecting too much?

I still don't understand why now that the corrupted registry entry has been corrected, PSI scan still fail to show Adobe Flash & Adobe Shockwave in the Scan Results, when they're both installed on my PC***. Any cause that you can think of, Maurice.

*** It happened a few weeks ago & I posted here: https://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/15...
With all the other issues that I was trying to sort out, I didn't pick up your reply. That Krebs blog is a shocker - I'll now need to consider removing Flash & Shockwave from my IE (if that's actually possible - I'll have to study the blog in more details) and just have it on Chrome, say.

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 16th Oct, 2015 00:16
The free products produced by Adobe are all standalone are NOT required by Windows which means you can remove them without any impact on performance. Adobe Flash and Shockwave have their own uninstaller if users decide to ditch them.

IE has a mechanism whereby you can have Adobe Flash installed but disabled until required.
Open IE> Tools>click on ACTIVEX FILTERING which puts a tick to the left - it is now disabled but is easily reversed if Flash is required.

The Adobe Flash & Shockwave uninstallers are clearly displayed on this site

http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/alternates...

Each uninstall link has clear instruction to successfully complete the task.

The correctness or not of the default browser details in the registry has no bearing on the output of results. This comes from your Unique User ID. Having received a few telephone calls and seen the CSI forum entry I can only assume that the Secunia database is in error. It is not the first time Secunia have had this error with Adobe Products.

If you have doubts try the Qualy's scanner.

The FAQ instruction on changing the browser key appear perfectly acceptable. Secunia are working,as stated, on the fact that any user would know the basic mechanics of modifying the registry.
They do not support any registry changes and on that basis would not give the "nitty gritty" to attempt it.

Not sure if have completed the registry entry change yet or whether you want a step by step guide.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 16th Oct, 2015 08:28
Last edited on 16th Oct, 2015 09:06
Thanks Maurice. I'll remove both Flash & Shockwave later today and also disable Flash in IE and the other browsers I have. I'll then see which websites I use demand Flash. I've copied & pasted your advice so I don't forget in the future and Brian Krebs' blog explains about Opera & Firefox.

Regarding the "Secunia database is in error", a scan just now has picked up Flash but Shockwave is still missing. A Qualys scan shows everything is OK.

Regarding changing the browser, what confused me is this statement in FAQs 'URL error':

"try setting your preferred browser as default again. If this has not resolved the problem, you can examine the registry key . . . " I took that to mean that before going into the registry, we can 'set our preferred browser as default'. Tools-Internet options-Programs confirms that IE already is my default browser so I guess that changing the registry is the only option left. If you have step-by-step instructions, Maurice, I'd very much appreciate a copy, please.

Edit: typo

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.