Forum Thread: Win10 free upgrade & FLASH problem

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
taffy078 Win10 free upgrade & FLASH problem
Contributor 20th Dec, 2015 12:58
Ranking: 408
User Since: 26th Feb, 2009
System Score: N/A
When I powered up this morning, I noticed a change in the "Free Win10 Upgrade" window - it said that I could download Win10 and run it at a later date, so I downloaded it. Took 4 hours - no complaints about that - and it took me back to my Win7 desktop.

I then ran PSI - it told me that my Adobe Flash 19.0.0.226(IE) was End-of-Life so I went to the Adobe download screen to install the latest version. But it won't let me - it says that Flash Player is already integrated with my "Windows10" per this
https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/flash-play...

So, I'm still running Win7 and will run win10 in its place in a few days when I've done the preparatory work but my Win7 Flash is at risk. Any thoughts please?

By the way, further down the Adobe screen it refers to Shockwave Flash so that's something else I'll have to look into. :o(

--
taffy078, West Yorkshire, UK

HP Envy Win10 PC and Compaq Presario screwed up by forced upgrade to Win10 from WIn7

Anthony Wells RE: Win10 free upgrade & FLASH problem
Expert Contributor 20th Dec, 2015 13:58
Score: 2542
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hi taffy ,

My W10 took about 3 hours to download and then a couple of hours to install and set up (my fiddling) . No problems of any consequence - a couple of minor ones , all the same - and my Canon XP type printer works fine - it did on W 8.1 as well !!

The info from Adobe update re W 10 is correct . M$/Windows will control all your W 10updates automatically - you have no choice - and now that will include Flash for IE and the Edge browser . Your Chrome will auto update its PPAPI Flash plug-in as before . Your Firefox NPAPI plug-in will need to be updated manually unless you have Adobe set to auto-update for you .

As far as I know , the term "Shockwave Flash object" is the full/real name for your Flash Player and is not your Shockwave player . Make of that what you will .

To update your W7 Flash , have you tried the GetAdobe.com webpage either with your IE or another browser and select the IE option therefrom ??

Hope that is clear 'enuff .

Take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
taffy078 RE: Win10 free upgrade & FLASH problem
Contributor 21st Dec, 2015 08:33
Score: 408
User Since: 26th Feb 2009
Last edited on 21st Dec, 2015 08:45
Good morning Anthony. I did something that I've never (I think!) done before - I'd already posted my question elsewhere and when there was no reply with the hour (on reflection, yes, that's not a long time but I was worried) I posted here.

The answer is simple but throws up a new possibly major problem for anyone who's taken up Microsoft's latest twist to the 'free Win10 Upgrade' - that you have the choice of downloading the free Win10 but not installing it yet. This is what I did and although my PC looks like Win7 with its nice Scottish island desktop background, I now have Windows 10 Home, version 1511, OS build 10586.36. [I first went to the "What Win version?" site and then got referred to the Win10 Help that told me that I have win10, not Win7.

Every time I've tried to access https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ that Adobe screen has flashed up for a second and then changed to the https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/flash-play... screen. This tells me there's no need to update my Flash.

So on reflection, if I now have Win10 in some form or another, perhaps I can now uninstall the versions of Flash I already have that PSI told me were EOL. If yes, that leads to another question about Flash but I'll post that after this blasted thing if resolved!

A Merry Christmas & a Happy & healthy New Year to you and to everyone else.

--

HP Envy Win10 PC and Compaq Presario screwed up by forced upgrade to Win10 from WIn7
Was this reply relevant?
+0
taffy078 RE: Win10 free upgrade & FLASH problem
Contributor 21st Dec, 2015 10:20
Score: 408
User Since: 26th Feb 2009
and I've now found that I can't get here from the icon on the bottom bar nor from the dashboard - the 'unable to locate' message appeared. This is the problem that I had a while ago because of Opera so goodness knows what else this Win10 upgrade has caused.

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.