Forum Thread: Garbled WU output problem on Windows 7 64-bit

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Open Discussions

This thread has been marked as locked.
mtodorov Garbled WU output problem on Windows 7 64-bit
Member 19th Jan, 2016 12:24
Ranking: 19
User Since: 20th Mar, 2009
System Score: N/A
Dear all,

For second month in a row I've recognized a problem with Windows Update for Windows 7 64-bit (not tested others).

The problem is confusing - MRT.exe is being ran while other patch like this one today is being shown in WU window:

KB3114555 Update for Microsoft Office 2010 32-Bit Edition

Then KB890830 is displayed just several seconds. This is obviously not logical.

I post here because it is a security issue (despite not being PSI related), and it is confusing. Any idea on how to fix this?

Regards,
mt

--
"If a task is worth doing, it is worth doing right. If it is not worth doing well, it is not worth doing." -- Dr. Jack Hyles
<><

Maurice Joyce RE: Garbled WU output problem on Windows 7 64-bit
Handling Contributor 19th Jan, 2016 17:58
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
I am a little confused by your post but think you are telling us that the update for Microsoft Office is successfully installed?

The concern appears to be that you think MRT has not run correctly which you consider it a security issue?

If that is the problem what does the MRT debug log tell you? You must scroll to the bottom of the log to get the January 2016 report.

If that states it has not run what is preventing you from installing and running MRT manually?

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mtodorov RE: Garbled WU output problem on Windows 7 64-bit
Member 21st Jan, 2016 15:33
Score: 19
User Since: 20th Mar 2009
Well, dear Maurice (if you permit it after all these years), AFAIK there is no fatal problem. The fact that Office package update's label is shown during MRT.exe run is IMHO somewhat misleading (it is supposed to be longest running update, namely KB890830).

Then comes title "running Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool" which expires in second or two which is again misleading and erroneous, but again to repeat, no harm seems to be done save confusion to careful observer of WU process.

Hope this helps.

mt

--
"If a task is worth doing, it is worth doing right. If it is not worth doing well, it is not worth doing." -- Dr. Jack Hyles
<><
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.