Forum Thread: Macromedia Flash Player

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Adobe Systems
And, this specific program:
Adobe Flash Player 20.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
Nikilet Macromedia Flash Player
Member 21st Jan, 2016 07:19
Ranking: 7
User Since: 15th Jul, 2008
System Score: N/A
I am showing Macromedia Flash Player 6.x ActiveX
Installed version 6.0.29.0
Secure Version 20.x
Criticality: End of Life
C\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash\Flash.ocx

I'm not sure what to do with this.

A bit below this is an item listed as Adobe Flash Player 20.x (NPAPI)

Can someone tell me what I am to do with this Macormedia Flash Player item?

LeendertKip Macromedia Flash Player
Member 21st Jan, 2016 07:45
Score: 35
User Since: 13th Feb 2010
That's right, the last version of Adobe Flash is 20.0.0.286. It seems that you didn't update since a long time. In the past it was Macromedia and now it's Adobe. I guess you don't use Windows 10 because, as far as I heard, Microsoft integrated Flash in Windows 10 and submit updates via Microsoft updates. I use Windows 7 and I update Flash always manually and never see any problems. Go to adobe.com, scroll down to the lower bar, click on downloads and on the right side you see a menu with several Adobe products. Click on Flash and you can download the file for the browser you use. Before you download you see a screen with 'optional' products, if you don't want them, untick. After download you can install. I am using IE and Firefox, so I have to download and install Flash versions for both browsers. Hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Nikilet RE: Macromedia Flash Player
Member 21st Jan, 2016 08:24
Score: 7
User Since: 15th Jul 2008
I update my Flash all the time. That's why I don't understand the attention to this Macromedia Flash item and I need someone to advise me what to do with it.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 21st Jan, 2016 09:21
Last edited on 21st Jan, 2016 09:25
From your first post I understood that your instlled version is 6.0 but you have already 20.0. Is PSI reporting the issue? If so, there is an old file leftover in the installation directory. In the PSI installed program list right-click on Adobe Flash and you see a small pop-up with options ignore updates and show details, click on details and you see the installed versions of the program. If there's a leftover from an old version you can delete that. Run a manual scan and it should be solved.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 22nd Jan, 2016 01:28
I removed the item as you instructed, scanned and now psi is showing 100%. Thank you for the help!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 22nd Jan, 2016 05:36
Fine to know it's solved. It may happen again because Adobe doesn't always delete old verion files when installing a new version. When I checked my pc yesterday I found old files too but those were not reported by PSI 3.0.0.11003. What version of PSI do you use?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 22nd Jan, 2016 06:43
my version is 3.0.9016. Do I have to manually check psi and update?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 22nd Jan, 2016 06:51
Yes, your version has no automatic update. Download the new version from the site via Products and PSI. During installation the old version is automatically uninstallled. The new version has an option for automatic updating in 'settings' which you can untick if you don't want it.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 23rd Jan, 2016 22:39
Thanks for your help on this. I have updated psi on both of my computers. I wasn't even aware there was an update.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 24th Jan, 2016 06:41
Secunia didn't always announce a PSI upgrade so I regularly checked the version via the website. That's solved now by selecting 'automatic upgrade' and 'process upgrade'. Anyway, your problems are solved.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.