Forum Thread: Win10 - new - can't install PSI

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
taffy078 Win10 - new - can't install PSI
Contributor 2nd Feb, 2016 17:28
Ranking: 408
User Since: 26th Feb, 2009
System Score: N/A
I've emailed Support to tell them I have a new Win10 laptop and want to install PSI - Windows Smart Screen is blocking me.

What's worse, there is no X on the message from Smart Screen so I can't ignore it. I'll be very surprised if I'm the first one to complain about this but I can't find any other threads.

PS Win 10's free upgrade is a disaster. If anyone is thinking of upgrading, don't. And many new Win10 PCs are also affected. Total shambles.

PS I've also told Support that on their main PSI screen here
http://secunia.com/support/psi/system-requirements...

It say in "Software Requirements The latest version of Microsoft Update. You can determine whether or not you are running the latest version by visiting update.microsoft.com with Microsoft Internet Explorer"

That's wrong - not for Win10.

--
taffy078, West Yorkshire, UK

HP Envy Win10 PC and Compaq Presario screwed up by forced upgrade to Win10 from WIn7

ddmarshall RE: Win10 - new - can't install PSI
Dedicated Contributor 2nd Feb, 2016 19:26
Score: 1250
User Since: 8th Nov 2008
There should be a faint 'More info' after the SmartScreen message. Clicking this reveals a 'Run anyway' button.

Microsoft seem to have changed which code signing algorithms are accepted in January. This is cropping up a lot.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
taffy078 RE: Win10 - new - can't install PSI
Contributor 2nd Feb, 2016 22:43
Score: 408
User Since: 26th Feb 2009
Hello and thank you for that info. When I clicked on 'More Info' this morning it said along the lines of Unsafe source. When I clicked just now it enabled me to continue.

Then the installation stopped; it said that there was a missing Windows Update but I know there isn't one. But I continued and was taken to the old and familiar Windows Update Centre. [This is strange because whenever I've tried to access it before, it immediately switches to the Windows Download Centre.] It wasn't the old 'check for updates' screen but a screen that was clearly pre-Win10 because I again got all the garbage that I told Support about this morning. Then the PSI installation finished and I now have PSI v3.

It found that Flash needed updating and updated it almost immediately, which is far removed from all the problems I had with v2. And it's updated before Win10's much vaunted new Update procedure.

I miss the old dashboard but everything works so much faster than before.

My only problem was first, when I switched to the Scan page to check something I was thrown out of my Draft Reply screen. Could have been my fault I suppose but after retyping all this again I was glad that I'd resaved it because when I hit Reply up came an official-looking screen that said this site has no Certificate and could be a bogus site to trick me. That would not let me pass it so I'm back again to see what happens this time.

If you can read this it went OK the second time but I do hope Support will chase up their issues with Microsoft. And with Norton too - I had to jump through hoops with Norton as well. If I were a brand new potential customer, I would have walked away from all the hassle. Flexera should have sorted out the Certificate etc issues by now.

Oh, and a final comment - Flexera should have added 'Flexera' to the dictionary by now, too.

--

HP Envy Win10 PC and Compaq Presario screwed up by forced upgrade to Win10 from WIn7
Was this reply relevant?
+0
ddmarshall RE: Win10 - new - can't install PSI
Dedicated Contributor 2nd Feb, 2016 23:23
Score: 1250
User Since: 8th Nov 2008
You can only get updates for Flash Player for Internet Explorer and Edge through Windows Update. Only Firefox and Opera have downloads for Windows 10.

Maybe your signature is out of date but the current version of Windows 10 is 10586.71.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 3rd Feb, 2016 17:16
thanks for that. What with trying to find my way around Win10 Office 365 2106 and PSI 3 on my new PC I had totally forgotten to check. I do have the latest version (per my signature!) so I'll now go & see when that happened.

By the way, I've yet to find a direct link from the scan results screen to here. That was useful in v2. Is there one in v3?

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 4th Feb, 2016 09:03
My Norton search for Secunia PSI took me here

https://secunia.com/support/psi/system-requirement...

I now know that I could have clicked on Documentation but again there's no link to the Download screen so I clicked on Products.
That described Personal Software Inspector and had a link to Download it. That's where I went and that when I had all the installation problems. Perhaps it's because it's a link to their Enterprise page!

Surely any Home user thinking of installing PSI should be helped to the correct screen with a direct link to a PSI Download screen. I'll tell Support - it's their job to sort out Microsoft's Certificate issues and Norton's "Untested" blocks, not mine. Thanks for your interest. Please don't lock this - I want to come back to tell you that they are changing their website. (2018?)

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
LeendertKip Win10 - new - can't install PSI
Member 4th Feb, 2016 10:14
Score: 35
User Since: 13th Feb 2010
Last edited on 4th Feb, 2016 10:26
Hi Taffy, I agree with you that finding the PSI download has been changed and difficult to find: click on 'products', then scroll down to te PSI description, click on logo and download. In the past that was easier indeed. To my surprise the latest version is now 3.0.0.11005 since february 2nd. Installed without problem on both my Windows 7 pc's. I'm curious about the changes but unable to find any info.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Win10 - new - can't install PSI
Expert Contributor 4th Feb, 2016 15:56
Score: 2542
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hi there ,

Whilst it is in no way intuitive and there are some other PSI "Download" links on the website , you may like to know that if you click on "Support" tab top rhs of this page ; on the new page scroll down a little bit to find on the rhs a "Download and Log-in" link ; click this and scroll down the new page to find all the PSI version (1.0., 2.0. and 3.0) download links .

Hope that helps .

Take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Contributor 7th Feb, 2016 09:55
Last edited on 7th Feb, 2016 09:56
Hello both.

I still can't find a direct link from Scan Results to this Forum so assume it's not there.

Regarding the other issues, here's what Villiam Bartholdy in Support has told me:

You did the installation correctly and from the correct site (the one you went to is not Enterprise, but the PSI site), but as you noticed, we had some certificate issues during the week. They were fixed by Wednesday, so neither Windows 10 or IE should give you any warnings now.

The Norton blocks could be because of the certificate issues as well, are you still being blocked?

I have forwarded your suggestions about the System Requirements link and the forum screenshots to the relevant people.

I'll check out the Norton issue when I upgrade PSI on my other PC. But it didn't actually block me - it just repeatedly warned me. It's to do with the site being classified as Untested by Norton.

Edited to add: Looks like the embolden formatting codes no longer work.

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0

puget1

RE: Win10 - new - can't install PSI
[+]
This reply has been minimised due to a negative Relevancy Score.

This thread has been marked as locked.